Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifter Built Into Handlebar Grip-Help?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hi everyone,
I am attempting to change the derailleur cable on a 2004 K2 Zed Sport. It is a 26", 21 speed, city/ mountain bike with the shifters built into the handlebars. To shift, the rider twists a grip, and the bike shifts. My attempt to change the cable has gone bad - the shifter no longer makes the clicking sound indicating a shift. There is some small piece of metal in the handlebar twister that may be the source of the problem. Any ideas on how to fix this? Any videos on Youtube showing how to fix this?
Thanks!
Old 03-08-14, 08:47 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 379 Posts
Is this a Grip Shift brand shifter? If you Google "Grip Shift cable replacement" you should be able to figure out what went wrong.

The Park Tool site has good instructions: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...evers-shifters

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-08-14, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
the 'small piece of metal' is the detent spring that holds the shifter's position.
sounds like it has popped out of position thus no clickyclicky
notice the ridged toothy area inside the twistable half of the shifter
now look for a 'small piece of metal' sized gap on the same area of the non twistable half of the shifter
it goes in there
Old 03-09-14, 03:17 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Low end GripShifters have to be partially disassembled to change the cable. It's easy to displace or even entirely lose the little hairpin spring when you do that. Fortunately, a brand new pair of GripShifters, with a new cable already installed, doesn't cost a lot more than just the replacement cable.
Old 03-09-14, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hi everybody,
Thanks for your responses. I have a follow up question. One of the recommendations above is to simply buy a new pair of grip shifters. The maintenance for these shifters is frustrating. Changing the cables on my road bike is much easier. I am thinking of going for a different style of shifter. What do people recommend for an inexpensive, easy to maintain, easy to use, easy to install shifters for mountain bike handlebars? Thanks again!
Old 03-09-14, 09:14 AM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
Hi everybody,
Thanks for your responses. I have a follow up question. One of the recommendations above is to simply buy a new pair of grip shifters. The maintenance for these shifters is frustrating. Changing the cables on my road bike is much easier. I am thinking of going for a different style of shifter. What do people recommend for an inexpensive, easy to maintain, easy to use, easy to install shifters for mountain bike handlebars? Thanks again!
Thumbshifters:
https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=SU-105
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...-thumbshifters
These are about as simple, durable, and easy-to-maintain as you'll find. The reason you don't see more of them is the perceived ease-of-use of "trigger" and "grip" shifters. The Sunrace items are non-indexed, which means you'll have to re-learn how to shift. This is a non-issue since us old-timers shifted without indexing up until the '80's.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-09-14, 09:26 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Slides over the handlebar, not built in .. take the grip off and the shifter will come off after that.
Old 03-09-14, 09:44 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Hi everybody,
If your shifters are indeed Grip Shift, you are likely to have Sram derailers as well. The rear shifter has a different cable pull than Shimano so you'll have to stick with Sram shifters. That's not really an issue, however. Sram makes very good paddle type shifters. Sram X3 shifters can be had for as little as $25 per set. Those are 7 speed shifters. 9 speed shifters are around $75.

As to quality, Sram is every bit as good as Shimano. I have 3 mountain bikes equipped with Sram that work flawlessly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-09-14, 09:58 AM

Hi everybody,
Whatever you choose, the hardest part is getting the old grip off. If, other than the maintenance issue, you're happy with what you have now, I'd suggest replacing them with the same thing. That might be the cheapest too. GripShift markets shifters for both Shimano and SRAM rear derailleurs so just make sure you get the one that matches what you have. I'm guessing the odds are right at 50/50 so be sure to check before you buy.
Old 03-09-14, 10:10 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Much much easier to replace cables on more recent SRAM twist shifters than on first generation Grip Shifters.
Old 03-09-14, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JanMM
Much much easier to replace cables on more recent SRAM twist shifters than on first generation Grip Shifters.
Oh yeah. Not even close.

Those first generation MRX shifters are still around, however, and the fact that they lasted this long speaks well of their durability.
Old 03-10-14, 06:46 AM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
There's a reason they're call Gripsh*t...
Old 03-10-14, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If your shifters are indeed Grip Shift, you are likely to have Sram derailers as well. The rear shifter has a different cable pull than Shimano so you have to stick with Sram shifters.
Not necessarily. SRAM has/had two lines of stuff, one proprietary, one fully Shimano-compatible. My commuter runs a 7-speed SRAM Gripshift which plays very nice with a Shimano STX-RC rear derailer.
Old 03-10-14, 08:23 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I find replacing cables on Gripshifts easier than on low end Shimano triggers, personally.

MRX with the white plastic are super easy. Shift to no tension gear, lift rubber under the numbers, push on cable til head pops out, pull cable. Install by lifting rubber and pushing cable in.

The new MRX, last year or two are pretty easy, too, but feel a little more sloppy to me.

As for putting disassembled Gripshifts togethe, yeah, that's tricky. My first set took me about three hours. Now about twenty minutes. Get the clicker in right, get the cable wrap right then pull cable as you rotate the twister til its detents line up with the clicker then push together.