Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stem- to DT-Mounted Shifters

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-12-14, 07:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

'80 Nishiki Road Bike. The new quill stem (100 extension vs. the old 70) was ordered yesterday:

Nitto Technomic Road Quill Stem 26.0 in Tree Fort Bikes Stems (cat125)

Since the bars and tape will have to come off anyway - and on the advice of a lot of members here - I'll use the opportunity to replace the original "turkey leg" brake mechanisms with some newer Cane Creek hood-type mechs, also ordered yesterday:

Cane Creek SCR-5C Compact Aero Levers > Components > Brakes > Road and Tri Brake Levers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Since the above involves removing the bar tape, I've ordered new brown tape to match the new Brooks saddle (thanks, Jane).

And finally and while I've got it apart, why not convert to downtube (DT) shifters? Here is the only source I could find for a new DT clamp to make that change. . . . and it's the reason for this post:

Problem Solvers Downtube Shifter Mount > Components > Shifters > Road Bike Shifters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The clamp linked to above is available from Jenson and is sold as "Shimano-compatible." But the existing stem-mounted clamp is marked "Sun Tour."

Will this be a simple swap? Or will I need to also change over the shift levers from Sun Tour to Shimano as well? I'm thinking some of you here may have already made this type of conversion, or at least know the difference (if any) between the Shimano- and Suntour-type mounts.

Thanks - here's the bike as it looks currently.

Old 03-12-14, 08:15 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Most stem-mounted shifters of that era do not transfer easily to standard downtube mounts. Since your 1980 vintage bike is almost certainly using friction shifting, there is no need to match the brand of the shifters to that of the derailleurs; you can use any downtube mounted friction shifters.
Old 03-12-14, 02:32 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
That seems kind of expensive for just a clamp. If you would consider bar end shifters, you can get Shimano 8 speed that will also work as friction for about $60 from Ribble. Comes with cables. Seems like more for the money and a more elegant solution. That's a good price for the brake levers and I expect you will like them.