Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek 5.9 (2012) - Can it take mechanical shifters?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 5.9 frameset, but I know it was stock with DI2. Does anyone know if it's possible to install mechanical shifters running the cables through internal routing, or if it's only possible to use electronic shifting on this frame?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-14, 04:33 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You ask the Trek dealer yet?
Old 03-13-14, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ
Hi All,

I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 5.9 frameset, but I know it was stock with DI2. Does anyone know if it's possible to install mechanical shifters running the cables through internal routing, or if it's only possible to use electronic shifting on this frame?

Thanks in advance!
It's always possible...but unless it has down tube cable stops or a way to mount stops it may not be practicle.
Old 03-13-14, 03:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You ask the Trek dealer yet?
Local Trek dealer said yes, the 2012 5-series frame is the same regardless of 5.x, but I will need the necessary cable routing tubes. Fortunately, after checking back with the frame seller, he has all the necessary hardware and is including those along with a few other things he's throwing in for free, so I bought it.
Old 03-13-14, 03:29 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
Not a fan of DI2?
Old 03-13-14, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I work at a Trek shop, and will confirm yes, no problem. Especially if the seller has the bag full of frame widgets to convert it to cables. If not, there's a kit you should be able to order, 1 p/n for everything you need to convert it.

Basically, take out the wiring grommets, remove the battery holder; insert cable stops and bb cable routing plate. One of the battery holder mount screws screw into a loose nut -- You will probably need to use a 10mm wrench to hold it, maybe just your fingertips, but make sure it comes out of the bike or suffer mystery rattle. You'll be happiest if you run your cables before you button up the bb, but it's actually not heinous, fishing cables with the bb plate out, even with the crank in place.

Are you getting bb bearings with the deal? If so, and they are used at all, I'd opt to spend $20 on new. They'll need to know brand of crank -- different bearings depending on crank used, Shimano vs SRAM vs Campy.

Last edited by mconlonx; 03-13-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
I work at a Trek shop, and will confirm yes, no problem. Especially if the seller has the bag full of frame widgets to convert it to cables. If not, there's a kit you should be able to order, 1 p/n for everything you need to convert it.

Basically, take out the wiring grommets, remove the battery holder; insert cable stops and bb cable routing plate. One of the battery holder mount screws screw into a loose nut -- You will probably need to use a 10mm wrench to hold it, maybe just your fingertips, but make sure it comes out of the bike or suffer mystery rattle. You'll be happiest if you run your cables before you button up the bb, but it's actually not heinous, fishing cables with the bb plate out, even with the crank in place.

Are you getting bb bearings with the deal? If so, and they are used at all, I'd opt to spend $20 on new. They'll need to know brand of crank -- different bearings depending on crank used, Shimano vs SRAM vs Campy.
Thank you very much for the quick tutorial! I also found a 2010 Trek manual online that had information on routing internal cables for the 6-series at that time...with your info plus that, doesn't sound too bad. The seller moved near everything over to the 6.9 frameset, and my original plan was to move all of my components from my 2013 Madone 2.1 aluminum over to this frameset (most 105), with just a couple new components. I've already looked up Enduro bearings on eBay and elsewhere...as you said, about $20.

Now I'm looking at the numbers of selling my 2.1 frameset vs. selling the complete bike, and evaluating which will make the most sense. Kind of like the idea of buying better components for the 5.9 and building up with that, especially new cables all around...also simplifies the teardown from my existing 2.1 and just selling the complete bike instead.

longbeachgary - never tried them, and I'd be perfectly happy to but I don't want to drop the big $$$$ on an electronic setup.
Old 11-29-16, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a 5.9 2013 frameset too, and I want to know where I can get the hardware to do that mechanical conversion.
Old 11-29-16, 04:47 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Not a fan of DI2?
Most likely not a fan of paying for DI2.
Old 11-29-16, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by AlxMacedo
I recently bought a 5.9 2013 frameset too, and I want to know where I can get the hardware to do that mechanical conversion.
Have you checked with Trek?
Old 11-29-16, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Have you checked with Trek?
Tried to contact them with no success
Old 11-29-16, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need the two inserts at the front (I think they're made of either plastic or aluminum), the cable guide under the bottom bracket (probably already there), and the insert at the rear derailleur exit. These are unique for mechanical shifting because the outer cables must press into these and hold against the cable pull pressure. For DI2, they are just rubber inserts that stay in place mostly from friction, whereas the mechanical inserts fall out without cables holding them there. It helps if you can get your hands on some small plastic tubes (like straws, but much thinner and 2 feet long) to help guide the cables through the downtube and out the chain stay.

I'm surprised Trek can't help, but a Trek dealer should be able to. My local shop was able to help me out with a couple components that were nearly impossible to source. They kept several parts bins full of leftover parts from all kinds of new and old bikes, and it was easy to pick up a few specific things (like a front brake nut, and the crank insert sleeve for the bottom bracket).