Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Greatness of Pinarello, are they truely that great?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Greatness of Pinarello, are they truely that great?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-14, 03:11 PM

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The truth and nothing but the truth. But not the whole truth. What you left out is that Pinarello actually sells more bikes by overpricing them rather then fewer. There is a huge segment of the population that can't resist a rip off of that magnitude. "If a bike is that expensive and I can afford it, it must be good and I must be great." No decisions to make, no choices, just spend the most you can. As we say, "They drank the Kool Aid."
+a bazillion.

Also Wiggins and Froome win on them, so they must be great.
Old 03-15-14, 03:28 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina

But, oh yeah, the man is out go get you and is just ripping you off...they all come out of one factory in China...
For the price they charge for the things, I want an Italian master craftsman to carefully arrange every sheet of carbon and play the song of his people as it bakes.

Of course that cannot be, because the Italian economy has been limping along ever since il miracolo economico ground to a halt circa 1970.
Old 03-15-14, 04:51 PM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what the ego wants it usually gets, and there is usually someone who'll sell it.
Old 03-16-14, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Ax Lighntess Vial EVO D (+ Paduano Fidia)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
+a bazillion.

Also Wiggins and Froome win on them, so they must be great.
Why must the bike be great just because some pro win on them? Don't you think they'd win on any descent bike, i am certain they would.
Team Moviestar change to Canyon which is a much cheaper frame. Like half or more or than a Pina. But personally i don't give a f**k what they ride.
Old 03-16-14, 10:12 AM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Avispa
Why must the bike be great just because some pro win on them?
Because a pro wins on thems.
Old 03-16-14, 10:14 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't actually ridden one, at least a nice long test ride, then all you have is a bunch of uninformed personal opinion...or your assessment of someone else's uninformed or potentially biased personal opinion...

OP, one would conclude you posted primarily to hear from others who share your negative opinion...fair enough..

signed,
Captian Obvious

Last edited by gc3; 03-16-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
Because a pro wins on thems.
This is no answer really. It could be interpreted you're undermining alot of work? I have clearly no idea on how magic Pinarello is or isn't. There of the thread. But you can probably swap all teams on all bikes without any questionable differences as long as fit is good. I am no pro and would most surely crack up during a 250km race. If we pin out Pinarello, they are interesting as it is so many opinions surrending Pinarellos, Chinarellos etc.

Last edited by Avispa; 03-16-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 10:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If i may clear out something more. Pinarello has been mentioned to me as a frame that is very nice to ride. I ride for fun mostly and for me comfort is needed to be able to extend my to time in the saddle. Ofcourse lightweight bikes and even aero bikes are interesting, but comfort is essential for me. I have had a Scott Foil and it is a nice bike, but a bit too low (stack) and too harsh for me. I have never heard or read anyone claim Pina rides bad, harsh or anything that i deem as bad in anyway.
Old 03-16-14, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually own a Dogma 65.1 Think2 I also own 4 other bikes, all high end. The Dogma in my opinion surpasses them all. It is just a all around better bike. It is both compliant and stiff both at the same time. It's technology is unsurpassed. Anyone who say's the Dogma's are not technical does not know what they are talking about.

The frame is truly unsupassed. It is made to offset the drive side forces. The headtube is even offset, as are the downtube which has ridges on the drive side that run the length of the tube. the chainstays are also different. the front fork is different on the drive side.

Make a appt. to take a demo ride. You will see for yourself. I also have a carbon wrapped aluminum frame that will rattle your teeth out. But my times on the Dogma are faster.

Mr H has it at the top of his list. Cavendish pitched a ***** when he had to change frames from the Dogma. I have set KOM's with mine and use it for KOM chasing. I changed out my wheels to Topolino VTR4.0's tubulars with Vittoria Corsa version 3.

Ride one and make your own decision.
Old 03-16-14, 01:22 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hbrown
I actually own a Dogma 65.1 Think2 I also own 4 other bikes, all high end. The Dogma in my opinion surpasses them all. It is just a all around better bike. It is both compliant and stiff both at the same time......
It's both compliant and stiff, flexy and rigid, hard and soft. Is it both cheap and expensive? I hear it is both light and heavy.

Mr H has it at the top of his list. Cavendish pitched a ***** when he had to change frames from the Dogma.
Cite?
Old 03-16-14, 01:37 PM

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
i use to own this 2012 pinarello fp team. it was copied of the dogma and built for the competition cyclist race team. it was a great riding bike and very comfortable. i kinda likes the frame design.

Old 03-17-14, 05:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually own a Dogma 65.1 Think2 I also own 4 other bikes, all high end. The Dogma in my opinion surpasses them all. It is just a all around better bike. It is both compliant and stiff both at the same time. It's technology is unsurpassed. Anyone who say's the Dogma's are not technical does not know what they are talking about.

The frame is truly unsupassed. It is made to offset the drive side forces. The headtube is even offset, as are the downtube which has ridges on the drive side that run the length of the tube. the chainstays are also different. the front fork is different on the drive side.

Make a appt. to take a demo ride. You will see for yourself. I also have a carbon wrapped aluminum frame that will rattle your teeth out. But my times on the Dogma are faster.

Mr H has it at the top of his list. Cavendish pitched a ***** when he had to change frames from the Dogma. I have set KOM's with mine and use it for KOM chasing. I changed out my wheels to Topolino VTR4.0's tubulars with Vittoria Corsa version 3.

Ride one and make your own decision.
Thanks HBrown!

May i ask, what bikes more do you own? I am curious on this, Dogma has some weight but you still feel you ride faster on the Dogma? Is that, than all your other bikes?

I had some discussion with a few guys that work in a big bike shop. They own several bikes. Conclusive was that none of them felt aero bikes had comfort to talk of if compared to more traditional frames. I have no chane even test riding a Pina over here, sadly. I would probably lean towards the K model. But it would be interesting to ride both Dogma models.

When i was looking for a new frameset, i was looking for nothing in particular talking brand. I just could not come to any other conclusion than i was needing a more comfortable frame. I was indeed looking for an aero at first. But the more i was talking with dealers, builders etc i was adviced towards other type of frames due to the prio on comfort.

Cavendish, well that is a bit weird since he's been saying so much of Venge and also have his own colour scheme. But again, $ talks! Lance bought a Parlee Z-Zero so who knows.
Old 03-17-14, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to the think2 frame simply for the internal wiring option. I have 7970. When I saw the think2 for the first time, I wondered how people who have reviewed the think2, said the 65, and the think2 were basicly the same. They are not. The battery mount, something so small, and insignificant makes such a big difference. Pinarello does care about weight, but not wear it counts. If it feasable to have a heavy (by todays standards) metal battery mount, That is what it has.

It is no lightweight by todays standard, but 15lbs-16lbs (build) is not heavy! The think2 just feels solid. It gives you more confidence, road buzz is minimized, and you will bomb downhills with it.

I remember a downhill where I had to be doing around 40+mph, no where near my fastest, but pretty fast. I went into a curve hot, I didn't know it was a hairpin until I got to what I thought was the apex. It wasn't, My heart stopped! I was about to die! Somehow I feathered the brake and just leaned all the way into the turn, I thought for sure I was going down, I knew my tubular was going to come off of the rim and I prepared to go down, somehow I got to the inside of the curve and rode it out.

I lived. My buddy came up from behind me and screamed " I thought you were dead!" I was coasting and I guess I was in shock, The frame never flexed, it followed every input that I made, the rear never kicked out. That is when I gained all of the respect for this frame that I am writing about. From real world experience I am writing. The Topolino's, Vittoria's and the Dogma are one very potent combination.

When I say that it is very comfortable and fast, it is because you don't feel beat up after a ride. At speed it is confident. You will ride longer. I love my other bikes also. My assasin (nickname) uses Madfibers. It is faster than the Dogma, but only over short distances. Dogma's come into their element over longer rides, like fondo's and charity rides, and 30 mile and above rides. I don't take it out daily, Because I kind of treat it better than the other bikes. If you can ever get the oppurtunity to ride one, do it! But remember it is a 30 mile and above bike. Unless it is your only bike, if that is the case, be prepare to clean it after every ride.

You or I have never seen a dirty Pinarello.
Old 03-17-14, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
I know. I mean, would you believe that there are people who claim that a heavier, weaker material is superior, especially when handcrafted by an "artisan" is his basement with no QC department!
um...well...I guess it depends on what you consider superior. More beautiful to my eye, possibly. Probably even. Since I'm never going to be on the Pro Tour, that might just be enough for me...but I'll have to say that hurt a little to admit you have a point (and it's the one from the crabon aspoloding and stabbing you).

Old 03-17-14, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Avispa
This is no answer really. It could be interpreted you're undermining alot of work? I have clearly no idea on how magic Pinarello is or isn't. There of the thread. But you can probably swap all teams on all bikes without any questionable differences as long as fit is good. I am no pro and would most surely crack up during a 250km race. If we pin out Pinarello, they are interesting as it is so many opinions surrending Pinarellos, Chinarellos etc.
The are being facetious.

Old 03-17-14, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
If you haven't actually ridden one, at least a nice long test ride, then all you have is a bunch of uninformed personal opinion...or your assessment of someone else's uninformed or potentially biased personal opinion...
That's the backbone of the internet, and especially bike forums. How dare you try to demean and sabotage an international institution!
Old 03-17-14, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
um...well...I guess it depends on what you consider superior. More beautiful to my eye, possibly. Probably even. Since I'm never going to be on the Pro Tour, that might just be enough for me...but I'll have to say that hurt a little to admit you have a point (and it's the one from the crabon aspoloding and stabbing you).
I just set aside one day a week to pull all the CF splinters out of my legs.
Old 03-17-14, 11:29 PM
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cavendish pitched a ***** when he had to change frames from the Dogma.
No, the general commentary seems to be that he was happy to get back on a Specialized (though apparently not thrilled with Sram).
Old 03-18-14, 02:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW! people make it so obvious.
Old 03-19-14, 02:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to add. I guess to sum the Dogma up. It gives its rider confidence in the bike itself. You find yourself doing things, like you normally won't. As in , braking late, Where normally you might back off.

I rode out my close call, instead of bailing. I really can't describe it. You just feel , like you have something solid underneath you.
Old 03-19-14, 03:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to add. I guess to sum the Dogma up. It gives its rider confidence in the bike itself. You find yourself doing things, like you normally won't. As in , braking late, Where normally you might back off.

I rode out my close call, instead of bailing. I really can't describe it. You just feel , like you have something solid underneath you.
That is how i feel on my current ride compared to my previous. But i can't really say i wouldn't want a second, super light ride.
Do i need this second super light ride due to my expertise, do i ride so much i need two bikes? Certainly not!
I am mostly estranged that Dogma is so popular when it' so heavy. I find my bike quite heavy, but the Dogma seems as heavy if not even on the + side. I have sensed the Foil was somewhat faster. But it might be i rode the Foil in the summer and the new i have only been riding with way more clothes and in colder weather. Foil was smaller and had shorter wheelbase. I was more on top, on the new i am more inside the bike.
Old 03-20-14, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I've had few high end bikes, BMC SLT01, Trek Madone 6.9 PRO and a Pinarello Dogma FP.

I dont know what it is but if the BMC and Trek were like Ferrari's, the Pinarello was like a Ferrari on crack.....
Old 03-20-14, 10:47 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
As a newish, non-racing rider I really love they way the Dogma looks. I doubt I'd ever buy one, but they sure are purdy.
Old 03-21-14, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, But the UCI weight limit is 14.99 lbs. This is the lowest weight of every bike you see the pro's ride in sanctioned races. Only the public (Us) ride bikes lower than 14.99 lbs. My Pinarello comes in at 15.62 lbs, completely built with all of the electronics, pedals, bar tape, bottle cages, . Basicaly pull over and get off bike, Grab water bottles, put on scale, weight. I don't think .63 lbs make it a boat anchor.

I think Pinarello builds its bikes to function at the UCI leval of weight. Not to be the lightest, but to function at the best leval it possibly can, at the required weight. Not for bragging rights. (my bike weighs 14 lbs, but rides like a broom)And brag ( I weigh 400 lbs but my bike weighs 11lbs, but to take a turn I have to unclip , put my foot down and pray, My frame does not make that cracking sound again).

My Assasin comes in at 14.51 lbs, I can not ride it in any event without adding weight to it, by UCI standards. Purpose built. But I will reach for the Pinarello without pause for any ride that truly counts. But like anything , Please ride one and form your own opinion. I am writing my opinion for others to read, I rode one, own one, and now sing its praises.

I think its nice to build the best 14.99 lbs (goal) bike out there.
Old 03-22-14, 04:51 AM

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Rapha & Assos make great clothes but who has $250 for a jersey or $50 for socks. I bet I can wear my $10 cool max T shirt and enjoy the ride.. If you have the coin and need to have one buy it....They are as good as anything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.