Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Taking more photos on rides

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a lightweight, durable and easy to use (with gloves) camera so I can start taking more pictures on my rides. Right now my only camera I ride with is my phone in a plastic bag which means I really never use it during the ride because it's a hassle.

Anyone have any suggestions on a dedicated ride camera that I can use quickly and easily during a ride (even while pedaling)?
Old 03-27-14, 04:27 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just use the gopro video camera and then take still shots from the video footage at home. You could also use their still photo settings on the camera.
Old 03-27-14, 06:25 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have a little canon S100 I use (maybe it's an S110, I forget but the form factor is the same). I don't know that lightweight and durable are going to be in the same camera, but when I put a little bento box on the top tube it's very easy to grab the camera and use it.
Old 03-27-14, 06:33 PM

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I rode this one "segment" just so I could beat my friends time... I saw a nice view pulled over and took a nice camera pic and when I got home the long part of the segment was messed up.. no more picture taking for me
Old 03-27-14, 11:13 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I just got a cheap digital camera used off eBay. If it breaks, no big loss. Pictures are decent.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-28-14, 08:54 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I not only bike but kayak fish. I am a huge fan of the Olympus Tough cameras. They take great pictures for a point and shoot and hold up to a lot of beating and water while kayak fishing. I don't normally carry a camera when biking but if I did my new Olympus TG-830 iHs would go with me.
Old 03-28-14, 09:10 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Fujifilm FinePix AX.

Carry it on the top tube, in a small bag for quick access

Quick Shot from behind me without aiming while riding.

Old 03-28-14, 09:47 AM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
One of the cameras I use on rides is a Fujifilm XP50. It's a pocket camera so
it's small and fits nicely in my jersey pocket. I chose this model because I
wanted something durable and able to handle all kinds of conditions: sweaty
back, cold temps, getting wet, vibrations, etc. I've used it while moving on
my bike with lightweight gloves. Pull it out of my jersey, turn it on, take photo
or video, shut it off and back in the pocket it goes. I've had it for over a year
now. Used it on a trip in China during a hot and muggy summer, had it under
salt water while snorkeling in Aruba, used it in subfreezing temps while doing
some tests on lights, etc. Still keeps on ticking.

CYCLING IN CHINA - YouTube

TRIP TO ARUBA PT2 - YouTube
Old 03-28-14, 10:25 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I just need to figure out how to carry my camera. I don't use a little pocket point and shoot. My camera is a larger body superzoom camera, the Fuji S700. I can't use a camera that doesn't have manual control or an actual viewfinder (I'm a control freak, I need to control the camera, or at least have some control of settings in the semi manual modes as I can't stand when a camera exceeds it's ability and automatically takes something of horrible quality at ISO 800 or something.) It seems a bit big to be able to put it accessibly in a bag mounted on the bike.

I don't commute, but I do want to carry my camera at all times. My wife's camera which I could carry is terrible at selecting the focal point as such I can't use it. Was really wishing I had the camera when the bald eagle swooped down out of the tree while riding one of my few rides this month.
Old 03-28-14, 12:14 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
consider handlebar bags and then a padded DSLR insert , perhaps View Ortlieb Products \\ Bicycle Handlebar Bags at https://www.ortliebusa.com

plus View the Camera Insert for Ultimate Handlebar Bags at https://www.ortliebusa.com

smaller point and shoot cameras there is a compact bar bag . View the Ultimate 6 Compact at https://www.ortliebusa.com

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-28-14 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
I just use the gopro video camera and then take still shots from the video footage at home. You could also use their still photo settings on the camera.
I was going to say the same thing.

Either this, or figure out a way to carry your camera where it more accesible on your bike. Still tough to pull it out while riding without worrying about dropping it, fumbling it, and or crashing while trying to get it though.
Old 03-28-14, 02:44 PM

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
There are lots of brands with similar waterproof/shockproof/freeze-proof cameras. That's what I would recommend. Figure out what's on the market right now that best fits your needs and budget.

I'm using a Pentax WG series waterproof/shockproof cameras. I forget which exact model I have right now. I tend to misplace/lose them long before they break. In fact, I just found one deep in a cubby hole of my car trunk last week. Newest picture on it was late 2011. Charged up the battery and it still works just fine despite a winter with several days down near zero and low teens.

I just keep it in my right-rear jersey pocket. I can pull it out, turn it on and take shots with one hand including with winter gloves. There is a single button on the back for switching between stills and HD video. I don't have to worry about rain, sweat, mud, etc. Just rinse it off at the end of a sweaty or dirty ride. I've never dropped it but have had it swing into the bars by its wrist strap with no ill-effects.
Old 04-02-14, 09:28 AM
El Duderino

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Portage, 83 Trek 620

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
I just need to figure out how to carry my camera. I don't use a little pocket point and shoot. My camera is a larger body superzoom camera, the Fuji S700. I can't use a camera that doesn't have manual control or an actual viewfinder (I'm a control freak, I need to control the camera, or at least have some control of settings in the semi manual modes as I can't stand when a camera exceeds it's ability and automatically takes something of horrible quality at ISO 800 or something.) It seems a bit big to be able to put it accessibly in a bag mounted on the bike.

I don't commute, but I do want to carry my camera at all times. My wife's camera which I could carry is terrible at selecting the focal point as such I can't use it. Was really wishing I had the camera when the bald eagle swooped down out of the tree while riding one of my few rides this month.
I use a Lumia 1020 smartphone with 41 megapixel, ois camera. Aperture is fixed at 2.2, but otherwise I have full control. The native Nokia camera app provides shutter speed up to 4 sec, and manual control of iso, white balance, focus. I also have a $2 app with HDR, time lapse, shadow recovery, contrast and saturation control. It won't match a high end DSLR, but it takes really awesome photos. With the optional camera grip attachment I have 50% extra battery, tripod mount, very nice shutter button, plus and 290 grams total for Nokia 1020, camera grip attachment, and small joby gorillapod. Camera/phone and tripod will fit into the bag 10 wheels shows above on top tube. The native nokia camera app saves raw files as well.

I got this phone for taking social media photos for my business, and it is a game changer to have a camera of this quality with you at all times, rather than picking up a camera and going looking for a photo opportunity.

Here is a photo taken by a professional with this camera/phone:

National Geographic - Nokia
Old 04-02-14, 09:57 AM

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
There are lots of brands with similar waterproof/shockproof/freeze-proof cameras. That's what I would recommend. Figure out what's on the market right now that best fits your needs and budget.
This^is the way I decided on my Nikon CoolPix pocket camera. Its tough, water proof, good wide angle/telephoto range, tripod lug and setup features (manual/full auto, timer, etc.) just like the big boys. For rides I set it on full auto and point and shoot away.

At home, this little pocket-size camera produces excellent tabletop photos for forum posting and selling stuff on eBay. On a tripod with the 10 second timer I get wonderful pics of family gatherings.

Don't hesitate to spend a little dough on a good pocket camera for bike outings. It will serve you well all the time, and it will tuck away nicely in your under-seat bag, in a pocket or somewhere on the bike.