Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

32-miles a day on my - now single speed - Surly ECR. Am I crazy?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

I have to say that I am happy with the purchase of my Surly ECR as a commuter. With several trips under my belt, I can say that my commuting time seems to be about the same as on my Hardrock. I think I like the ECR better than my Hardrock both on and off the road.

What I haven't been thrilled about is the 2x8 gear setup I brought to the party. I've been thinking about going to an internal-gear hub and may yet, but couldn't bring myself to do that without at least trying it single speed - having had a recent revelation about the value of a single speed on the trail.

Well, I took the plunge and converted it to SS today. I geared a little tall for off road and probably pretty short for the road at 2/1 on 29+. It has positively transformed the bike for unloaded goofing around but I'm a little nervous about how it will be commuting loaded into a headwind. Guess I'll find out soon enough!
Old 03-29-14, 07:24 AM
I don't get out enough

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Bike E rx, Diamondback Centurion Expert TG, early 80's steel bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is 32 miles round trip? I do 26 miles rt on a Gary Fisher Marlin converted to ss. I love it. I'm faster then my geared bike. And I have 600 feet to climb. As far as riding into a headwind.....I don't try to ride into that.
Old 03-29-14, 08:17 AM

Yes, my commute is 16 miles each way, so 32 miles a day.

On the trail, I find SS to be faster (and less energy) than geared but am not expecting the same on the road. Of course, I didn't expect it on the trail either.

What gearing are you running on that Marlin? My '12 GF Rig (same bike?) is 34/18 on 2.35 Nobby Nics = about 55 gear-inches. The ECR is 44/22 on Knards = about 60 gear-inches.

I'm worried about wind which is why I geared short.

Last edited by Bug Shield; 03-29-14 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-29-14, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It will take a little time for your body to adapt to single speeds when in tougher conditions that leave you having to push a slow cadence fairly hard like headwinds and long climbs but after doing it for a bit it will feel like your body has developed its own set of gears to make slow grinds comfortable as well as spinning faster.

I say keep with it for a while before(it?) you invest in a geared hub
Old 03-29-14, 06:09 PM
I don't get out enough

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Bike E rx, Diamondback Centurion Expert TG, early 80's steel bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running 46/18, 63 gear-inches. I can maintain 15 mph on the flats. On the hills, it drops a bit. I just love the ride. Now when the winds come, I slow also. I don't even think of riding when the wind gets really strong( 15-25 with gusts near 40 mph).

Oh, and I do run 26x1.5 Drifters.

Last edited by polishmadman; 03-29-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 06:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If it was me I would put some narrower slick tires on it, and up the gear ratio to about 44/18 or 42/18. Also if you're riding a lot in windy terrain then maybe try putting drop bars on that bike.
Old 04-04-14, 10:07 AM

Well, I know half the story. It was pretty spinny heading down the hill to work and I whimped out instead of facing the 40-mph headwind that afternoon. I bumped the gearing up to about 68 gear inches and am going to try that. Though it felt painfully slow, my (16mi) downhill commute was only 4-minutes slower than average.
Old 04-04-14, 04:58 PM

I went to 44/20 (68 gear inches) and think I that's my gear. Tall enough to be challenging, short enough to be doable.