Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Where to put bike head and tail lights??

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all!

I have a Dahon Vitesse D7HG, and I've been itching to find a bike light that I can put on the bike without getting in the way of the fold! So far all the lights I've come across come with rubber shims that once set, cannot be moved, effectively getting in the way of the bike's folding mechanics and not allowing it to be as compact as possible!

Thanks!
Old 03-31-14, 11:52 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a Shimano narrow Hub dynamo on my Brompton ,
B&M Eyc headlght on fork crown, Busch & Müller: LUMOTEC IQ2 Eyc

and toplight line Plus taillight, replacing the reflector ..
Busch & Müller: TOPLIGHT Line plus

Shrink tube, tape and zip ties secure the wiring ..

maybe N/A with your ' Dahon Vitesse D7HG', there are Hub dynamos made for Dahons too .

I no longer think about lights ..wheel turns, the lights light.

Low lights also are well under the rain cape's bottom edge so it still works in the rain..

Though I've seen Cycle rain capes with a clear window in them so the handle bar light will shine through .

Re the Dyno hub on DaHon's
Thor sells them, he posts here.. maybe he has a plug and play Dynohub upgrade for your particular bike..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-03-14 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 12:00 PM

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zeffrafael
Hello all!

I have a Dahon Vitesse D7HG, and I've been itching to find a bike light that I can put on the bike without getting in the way of the fold! So far all the lights I've come across come with rubber shims that once set, cannot be moved, effectively getting in the way of the bike's folding mechanics and not allowing it to be as compact as possible!

Thanks!
I mounted a headlight on a removable handlebar extension. This thing clamps to the handlebar and has a hollow vertical post onto which a hollow cross-bar T plastic piece slides down. The purpose of the extender is to give more horizontal space for mounting things. On the one I got, the T piece just is held in place by friction. I can lift it off. So if the permanent part doesn't interfere with the fold, maybe you can use one of these to make your light easily removable. Or you can find a headlight that has a quick release. Some are designed to be easily removed for use as a hand-held flashlight ("torch"). Here's the headlight I have which is a quick-release type:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-53-LED-B...item232fa53957.
Old 04-03-14, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zeffrafael
... I have a Dahon Vitesse D7HG, and I've been itching to find a bike light that I can put on the bike without getting in the way of the fold! ...
I have a set of Reelight 120 lights on my 2010 Dahon Mu XL Sport. See: Busch and Mueller, Reel lights, Sigma Dahon
Mine are the regular (not the "extended" bracket) ones. The bike folds just fine. These lights are great, passive "be seen" lights. You will likely also need a separate headlight if you need to light up the road.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 04-03-14, 02:15 PM
Banned

So far all the lights I've come across come with rubber shims that once set, cannot be moved, effectively getting in the way of the bike's folding mechanics and not allowing it to be as compact as possible!
there are QR lever mounted battery handlebar lights, removable even from their QR mounts, out there , keep looking ..
Old 04-03-14, 02:54 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I use a Hotshot rear light mounted on the seatpost; there's about 3/4 of an inch
of the post that sticks out since the light mount is preventing me from pushing the
post all the way down. For the front I use a Magicshine clone, Singfire SF90. The
light head mounts on top of the bars using o rings and the battery pack is on the
stem. Sometimes for the front I use a Xeccon Geinea which has a smaller head.
It's so tiny; it's difficult to see in these photos. But it's the gold round thing by the
bars. All of these lights don't get in the way when folding:

Old 04-10-14, 03:42 PM
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Video cam on right, very bright Cree LED on left.

Planet Bike Superflash tailights. Both set on "blink". The tool bag/lights unit gets moved from bike to bike.

Planet Bike Blaze. Both set on "blink". They mount onto a quick disconnect base that I can move from one bike to another in a matter of seconds and the lights "slip and clip" to the base but I remove them from the bases and put them in the tool pouch before folding the bike (Bike Friday NWT, Brompton or Citizen Miami).

All of the lights on the bike use rechargeable batteries (AA and AAA size) and this setup has been going strong for at least 3 years of almost daily year round riding. The Cree LED is about a half year old and is ridiculously bright for it's size, weight and cost. It cost me $16 (with two batteries and a charger) and uses rechargeable #18650 (18mm X 65mm) 3.7v 2400mAh Li-ion batteries as found ganged in some laptop and notebook battery packs.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 04-10-14 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 04:16 PM
Banned

that locker room shot, the reflector is missing , the bracket is still there .. ? brompton-spanninga battery lights fit ..

or one of these .. https://www.bumm.de/produkte/akku-rue...ht-flat-s.html

Additionally , with my Bike fridyI also mounted by lights Low , so wearing my rain cape they were still under the cape bottom edge

rear one went behind the back of the seat tube waterbottle cage. front one at the bottom of the handlebar stanchion ..