Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bikes for Beginner

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Bikes for Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Bikes for Beginner

Hello there guys!

Please bare with me if i posted in the wrong section.

First of all, let me tell you that i dont have knowledge about bikes yet but im willing to know everything i need to know. Basically, im here to ask a help for a perfect road bike that suits me.

I live in Vancouver and it is an urban place; full of roads and sidewalks.

I did some research and i found this link: https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/art...er-1000-32772/

Im thinking of buying one of them and if you guys could recommend me the perfect road bike at around $1000 CND, i would greatly appreciate. I live in Vancouver, BC and i believe there are many bike stores around here. So im open to any idea's that you guys have.

I will ride this bike mostly on road almost everyday except winter. I will store the bike on storage during winter since it gets very snowy and slippery here.

My budget is around $800-1000 CND and i cant spend any higher than that since im only a student.

Again, please help me out, any response will be much appreciated
Old 04-02-14, 08:00 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will you be riding mostly on flat terrain without any challenging hills?

If so, you can get a really nice, but inexpensive single speed

Something like the Fuji Declaration, the Schwinn Madison, or the Felt Brougham come to mind for single speeds.

Of the road bikes featured, the Giant Defy would be my first choice!

Last edited by WestPablo; 04-02-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-02-14, 09:50 AM
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
First; visit every bicycle shop that you can, get to know them. Ask around about experience at the shops you visit. Pick your shop, you will be having a long term relationship with them. If there are a number of shops that you feel very comfortable with, pick two.

Next talk to your chosen shop(s) about the riding the you want to do and your budget. They will offer you one or more bikes to test ride.

Think about it for a few days, test ride the bike you liked best again. Then deal.

Unless you are super experienced, picking the bike then the shop is stupid.
Old 04-02-14, 10:04 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
First; visit every bicycle shop that you can, get to know them. Ask around about experience at the shops you visit. Pick your shop, you will be having a long term relationship with them. If there are a number of shops that you feel very comfortable with, pick two.

Next talk to your chosen shop(s) about the riding the you want to do and your budget. They will offer you one or more bikes to test ride.

Think about it for a few days, test ride the bike you liked best again. Then deal.

Unless you are super experienced, picking the bike then the shop is stupid.
I agree. Also, just because Bike Radar judged these "the best" doesn't make them the best for you. Put some of these bikes on your list, but there are other fine choices, including some nice steel frames as well. You probably won't go far wrong with any of these bikes, but one might speak to you more than another. The only way to know for sure is to do a few test rides.
Old 04-02-14, 10:54 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Other than MEC, I know none of the bike shops in Vic/Van ... the most basic answer, brands schmands ,

its all coming from A big Taiwan factory shipped on a Boat. built back into something you can test ride in a bike shop.

pick the dealer you like most , then get one of their brands .. or at least narrow it down to the lines that shop carries..

reviewing a sponsors bike is what pays the bills for magazines, print and on-line.
Old 04-02-14, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
cjhoyle, a year-round cyclist in Toronto, mainly uses a Raleigh hybrid bike (with studded tires in the winter), but has two other bikes (an old, beater/emergency commuting bike, and an old, vintage road bike).

If you're interested, you can see two of them and hear him talk about when he uses them on his video around 3 minutes in, and see the last one around 3 minutes from the end. He's an ingenious mechanical engineering grad, sounding older than his years and who's been bike commuting at least since his university days, so I trust his judgement and advice about cycling!

Tour of My Toronto Apartment - YouTube

Last edited by anon06; 04-02-14 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
Will you be riding mostly on flat terrain without any challenging hills?

If so, you can get a really nice, but inexpensive single speed

Something like the Fuji Declaration, the Schwinn Madison, or the Felt Brougham come to mind for single speeds.

Of the road bikes featured, the Giant Defy would be my first choice!
Yes i will most likely be riding it on flat terrain with some hills. However i prefer having a bike that is not single speed. I was also thinking about taking the Giant Defy 3 because it looks like its perfect to me. However dont you think the specialized would be better?

Should i go test ride both of them? If so, how should i know which one is the "better" bike for me. Is it how comfortable it is?

Also im 5'6 and if i were to buy the giant defy 3 what size would be perfect for me?

Apologize for newbie questions as im only new to road bikes.

Thank you guys for the reply they were very helpful

Last edited by sniperxfire; 04-02-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 12:07 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniperxfire
Yes i will most likely be riding it on flat terrain with some hills. However i prefer having a bike that is not single speed. I was also thinking about taking the Giant Defy 3 because it looks like its perfect to me. However dont you think the specialized would be better?

Should i go test ride both of them? If so, how should i know which one is the "better" bike for me. Is it how comfortable it is?

Also im 5'6 and if i were to buy the giant defy 3 what size would be perfect for me?

Apologize for newbie questions as im only new to road bikes.

Thank you guys for the reply they were very helpful
Good questions, Sniper!

Yes! Always go with the bike that feels the most comfortable and changes gears the most smoothly.

Yes! You should test ride all the bikes that you most possibly can, before you pull the trigger. That especially goes for the ones in which you're most interested.

Nobody can really intelligently advise you concerning the correct size of bike for you, because different bicycle companies make models that are supposed to be the same size, but they do differ. Also, even when comparing different people on the same bike size, some folk's legs are longer than others and some folk's torsos are shorter than others.

Therefore again, we're back to test riding a bike in order to assess the proper size for you.

Go test ride a bunch of bikes, first! Next, come back and tell us what you've decided upon

Avoid suspended forks!
Old 04-04-14, 01:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
Good questions, Sniper!

Yes! Always go with the bike that feels the most comfortable and changes gears the most smoothly.

Yes! You should test ride all the bikes that you most possibly can, before you pull the trigger. That especially goes for the ones in which you're most interested.

Nobody can really intelligently advise you concerning the correct size of bike for you, because different bicycle companies make models that are supposed to be the same size, but they do differ. Also, even when comparing different people on the same bike size, some folk's legs are longer than others and some folk's torsos are shorter than others.

Therefore again, we're back to test riding a bike in order to assess the proper size for you.

Go test ride a bunch of bikes, first! Next, come back and tell us what you've decided upon

Avoid suspended forks!
Very helpful informations, thank you very much for that. I will come back and share my experience about the bike that i will choose