Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Diamond Calico Sport or Specialized Ariel Sport Disc?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?
View Poll Results: Diamondback Calico Sport or Specialized Ariel Sport Disc?
Diamondback Calico Sport
25.00%
Specialized Ariel Sport Disc
75.00%
Other (please explain)
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a female looking for a hybrid bike and am trying to choose between these two bikes:

Diamond Calico Sport or Specialized Ariel Disc (my original post said Ariel Sport Disc but I made an error and have edited the post since I'm only considering the Ariel Disc, not sport disc).

Diamondback: Diamondback Bicycles - Calico Sport

Specialized: https://m.specialized.com/us/en/bikes...iel/ariel-disc

I can get the diamondback for $500 and the Specialized for $570 locally.

Any suggestions on which one is the better bike at the end of the day? Other options I should consider within $600?

Thanks!

Last edited by Geargirly; 04-12-14 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Wrong bike model mentioned
Old 04-07-14, 06:47 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Specialized has better components, and is 9 spd, better brakes, lock out fork, better tires, a good choice. MHO

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-07-14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-09-14, 02:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Wanderer! I think that's the one I'll go with.
Old 04-12-14, 09:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops! I just realized I linked to the wrong specialized bike I'm considering! I'm looking at the Ariel Disc, not Ariel Sport Disc. How do you feel the Ariel Disc compares to the diamondback?

Specialized Bicycle Components
Old 04-13-14, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very comparable bikes. So I'd go for the Diamond for less coin.
Old 04-13-14, 09:01 AM
aka Phil Jungels

I'd still go Specialized.

Why? Because I like them, says it has a lockout fork, their Body Geometry seats are usually pretty comfortable, they fit me more comfortably than others, I think it looks nicer, and they will have better resale value should you choose to sell ...

In terms of function - they are awfully close.

MHO

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-13-14 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-13-14, 09:03 AM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Specialized Ariel is the women's version of the Crosstrail. I purchased a Crosstrail Disc from my LBS and am extremely pleased with it. It's my daily rider and it easily handles both road and light to moderate trail use. The lockout on the front suspension and the ability to run 80+ psi in the tires really improve it's on-road manners.

The two bikes are fairly comparable, but I prefer the looks of the Specialized a bit better. Also, the Specialized should hold it's value a bit better due to it's name. One big deciding factor will be where you purchase the bikes and what kind of service after the sale you'll receive. Definitely factor this in before you buy.
Old 04-13-14, 12:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys,

I prefer the look of the Specialized also, so I'm favoring that one simply based on that, considering they are so close in terms of features. I care about what the bike looks like more than I probably should!

Oddly enough, the Diamondback DOES have a lockout, even though they don't mention it. Performance Bike has a "performance exclusive" version of the bike, which is exactly the same, but is just painted differently. They seem to be the exact same bikes but the performance SAYS it has lockout even though the non-performance version actually does also, and it is being called a flat-bar road bike instead of a hybrid. The other super confusing thing is that in reality, the performance exclusive version of the calico sport isn't purple. It's teal (the stripe).

Calico Sport vs Calico Sport Performance Exclusive: Performance Bike - bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more

Anyways, moral of the story is the Diamondback Sport DOES have a lockout.

So, in the end I believe the Diamondback has slightly better components if I'm not mistaken and is cheaper (more travel on the suspension and apparently better derailleurs according to my husband). But I love the look of the Specialized and am letting that sway my decision towards the Specialized for purely aesthetic reasons (and also hearing that a few of you are very happy with your Specialized bikes.)

Hopefully the derailleurs on the Specialized end up being ok since I think I'm going to purchase that bike.
Old 04-13-14, 01:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I've found a third bike I'm considering now also. Giant Rove 2:

Rove 2 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States

It's $50 over my ideal budget but has hydraulic disc brakes and is 9 speed. It's $650 vs the Specialized that I can get at $570. Worth the extra $80 to go with the Giant? Will I notice a difference considering I will do easy trail riding at best and paved paths and road?

thanks for the help!
Old 04-13-14, 01:51 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
other.. since neither are sold anywhere around here ..

I know the people who work at my local and the assembly attention to detail is a big unknown ..

its shop and not brand dependent.
Old 04-13-14, 08:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Definitely the Giant! Buy the most you can afford. If it's in your budget, go for it! I recently spent some $$ converting my 8 speed to 9. I just don't like big jumps in gearing. Moreover, although the very best mechanical disc brakes may be better than low end hydraulic, it is safe to say any hydraulic disc brakeset is probably better than the vast majority of mechanical disc brakes out there--especially in the $500 price range.
Old 04-14-14, 01:02 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Yep, given those changes, Giant wins in my book too ----- I really like 9 spd , as more gears are better, and 9 spd is still inexpensive to maintain,,,, how do you feel about it's looks? You get better componentry for the money.

Giant makes nice bikes, and you almost always seem to get more bike for your buck. Hydraulic brakes are the icing on the cake. I really like the looks of the Giant, and it too will hold resale.

You might be able to dicker price, using the cost of the Specialized; but, you are still getting more for your money, with Giant.

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-14-14 at 01:08 PM.