Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Swapping forks has made commuter much more stable.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I'm posting this primarily because I'm interested in any similar modifications others have made that were successful.

I'm sure there will be those who question the rig and setup I use, but it's worked for me. Well, almost. I'm using a Trek Lane cross bike as a commuter (got it new for the ridiculous price of $450). I’ve Ortlieb Front Roller Classics on a Tubus rack in the rear and a TopPeak Tourguide Dx on the handlebars. The front gets a bit squirrely when there anything in the front bag. Two days ago I found the front fork from my Cannondale 800T in the bike shed. That frame was trashed in an accident four years ago. It’s got more front rake than the Trek Lane. So, I swapped them out, and what a difference. It’s added 34 cm to the wheelbase and now the front end is very stable.

So, are there any similar modifications by others?
Old 04-09-14, 06:54 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
The front gets a bit squirrely when there anything in the front bag
Slapping weight on the front of a racing bike results in exactly the handling issues you experienced. Glad you had a fork on hand that would work.

This is why bikes intended to carry loads in the front need to be designed to carry loads in the front.

Front end geometry is one of the fundemental differences between bikes designed to be pack mules (audax/brevet/rando, touring, porteur, etc.) and racing bikes. Remember, cross bikes are racing bikes. They're designed for off-road racing. As the intended load in front increases (as is does from audax, to touring, to porteur) the geometry changes need to be more pronounced to compensate.

This is also what makes these bikes handle funny without a load on the front. My audax bike has to be held down in corners--the effect is subtle, but it's there. Otherwise it pops up like cork and straightens out. That's the effect the geometry has to keep the bike from falling deeper than intended into corners when the front is loaded.