Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Jamis Coda Vs. Quick 4 Vs. Dew Deluxe

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 04-18-14, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long time lurker here, but recently ran into a problem when buying my first "real" bike.

I did some research on some bikes, got a feel of what was recommended on these forums and went for a few test rides when I narrowed my decision down to the bikes listed in the title. Basically, want a comfortable yet fast bike (hybrid), with decent parts and a cost of around +-$700. Because of my size (i'm 6'5, 220 lbs) I was leaning towards the Jamis Coda because of the steel frame and the overall feel of the bike but the Coda has the lowest quality components of the three and costs roughly the same.

I put a deposit down on the Coda but the bike is late to the store and I have to wait another 10 days before I can ride my bike. Because of this, I'm looking into the other two bikes.

The 2014 Coda cost me $728 (including fenders and tax), the 2014 Quick 4 can be had for $800, and the 2012 Dew Deluxe for $900. Given these prices and what I'm looking for, do you guys still think the Coda is a good buy? I'm in Toronto, Canada and have been struggling to find good bikes for good prices. I'm not adverse to shopping online for the bikes as I know what size frame I need from the test rides done.

Thanks for your input!

Oh, and if you're interested, I've been riding a 2010 Specialized for a year-and-a-half and have used it as my learning bike. I've done all the upkeep and learned how to repair the bike so I think I'm ready for a substantial upgrade.

The plot thickens: Just got back from my LBS and found a 2013 Giant Escape 0 for $700. Now it's really a matter of 2014 Coda vs 2014 Quick 4 vs 2013 Giant Escape 0

Last edited by grimm; 04-18-14 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 08:31 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have no opinion whatsoever......none!

<-------------------------------------------------
Old 04-19-14, 07:44 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It's hard to argue with the quality of the Giant, for the price required.................MHO
Old 04-19-14, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I had two 13 Giant Escape RX0's last year. They were in fact super bikes for the $$. The Giant quality/price ratio is quite high for current year pricing, even better for left overs. I don't think you could do better. But, the most important thing is how it feels to you while riding it. Give it a good spin. For me I sold the two alum based hybrids and bought this years composite version.
Old 04-19-14, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, looked at the specs of all the bikes and the Giant just blew them all out of the water. Deore derailleurs, Carbon forks, better wheels and lightest frame of the bunch sealed the deal. The grips are the only thing I really don't like about the bike, they're just too small and uncomfortable. Any recommended upgrades on the bike?