Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people? I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-22-14, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Yesterday afternoon I was riding along the Schuylkill River Trail. I wanted to check out the section just newly paved. For the second time in 3 or 4 years – yes, a similar thing happened before, I just don’t remember the specific date – I came upon a man being physically abusive to a woman. I didn't see what triggered the situation. But, what I saw was this six foot tall, 25 – 35 year old man repeatedly shoving a much smaller woman while screaming at her.

I stopped, and I intervened saying, “Hey, back off. There’s no need to be physical here.” He turned and said, “Just ride away mister.” My response was that I wasn’t going anywhere until he stopped assaulting the woman. At that point he rushed me. Long story short, I’m fine – the woman is fine, and the assailant has a dislocated shoulder and is likely to be arrested for assault.

I don’t for the life of me understand that kind of behavior. Apparently, he was in a rage with woman because she veered to avoid hitting a squirrel. He was attempting to fly by her on his time trial bike while on a training ride. He didn’t crash; he just had to veer to avoid hitting her. She says he never gave any warning that he was there and trying to pass.

There are some really good people on this planet, but as a species we’ve some way to go.

Last edited by NOS88; 04-22-14 at 06:59 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 04-22-14, 06:46 AM
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of people are really wound up too tightly for their own good. Seems like some of the 'go faster' riders are the worst, and I have seen this kind of behavior as well, but not lately. I have not walked up on someone pushing a woman around in a long while, but my reactions would have been the same as yours. You did the right thing, getting involved and keeping the woman from being injured because of some 'jackwagon'. Bravo!

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 04-22-14, 06:57 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Good move.

I hope he doesnt breed.
Old 04-22-14, 07:07 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I hope you BOTH sign complaints, so he has to deal with two counts!

Even worse --- in court he would have to undergo the embarrassment of being beaten by an old man!!!!! LOL

Congrats for doing the right thing.
Old 04-22-14, 07:16 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Well done.
Old 04-22-14, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Glad you were prepared and able to deal with the situation. I just don't get what would cause someone to do that. Ugh.

Old 04-22-14, 07:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did the right thing NOS88. Fortunately, the woman is not related to, or a "friend" of, the assailant. Otherwise, things could have turned out much differently for you (i.e. you could be accused of starting the incident, have charges pressed against you, etc, etc).

Btw, it seems that this guy is the semi-rare type of bicyclist who narrowly and/or without warning speeds past pedestrians, and other trail users. Fortunately, I see less of this nonsense these days then I did back in the '90s.
Old 04-22-14, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another well done to you sir.
Old 04-22-14, 07:37 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Good job!!!

Now im going to catch hell here, but he was one of the typical hell bent for speed roadie types that thot his grand ride was upset and his whole day was ruined for the .007865 seconds that he has to swerve. But then he had time to stop and abuse the woman. I too do not understand people like this. Im very glad he got his ass handed to him!!!!!
Old 04-22-14, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
So you got medievel on his ass?
Old 04-22-14, 07:44 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good job NOS88! You absolutely did the right thing and good on you for having the courage and insight to do it. And true, thankfully those mindless "go-fast" types are the exception in the world of cycling with the abusive types even less prevalent.

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-22-14, 07:59 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Intervening is NOT always a good idea. My son has tried to break up fights twice where both parties turned on him and beat him up pretty bad. The second time he regained consciousness in the street where they had apparently shoved him into oncoming traffic. The driver that struck him stopped to help him.

My advice (to him) is NEVER try to break up a fight between two people you don't know. They probably already know each other, are enraged, and might welcome a common enemy.
Old 04-22-14, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish there was some video of you whipping his ass. I'd pay to see it.
Old 04-22-14, 08:02 AM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Yesterday afternoon I was riding along the Schuylkill River Trail. I wanted to check out the section just newly paved. For the second time in 3 or 4 years – yes, a similar thing happened before, I just don’t remember the specific date – I came upon a man being physically abusive to a woman. I didn't see what triggered the situation. But, what I saw was this six foot tall, 25 – 35 year old man repeatedly shoving a much smaller woman while screaming at her.

I stopped, and I intervened saying, “Hey, back off. There’s no need to be physical here.” He turned and said, “Just ride away mister.” My response was that I wasn’t going anywhere until he stopped assaulting the woman. At that point he rushed me. Long story short, I’m fine – the woman is fine, and the assailant has a dislocated shoulder and is likely to be arrested for assault.

I don’t for the life of me understand that kind of behavior. Apparently, he was in a rage with woman because she veered to avoid hitting a squirrel. He was attempting to fly by her on his time trial bike while on a training ride. He didn’t crash; he just had to veer to avoid hitting her. She says he never gave any warning that he was there and trying to pass.

There are some really good people on this planet, but as a species we’ve some way to go.
Me thinks we need to get you a foil suit since you are the white knight now Good on you man.
Old 04-22-14, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Pics (or video) or it never happened...

But seriously, good on you for intervening on the woman's behalf. She could have been anyone's daughter, sister, mother or wife.

Good job!
Old 04-22-14, 08:28 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
It took a lot of guts. It might have turned out badly. You did good.

I am a rodie. I like to go fast. If I want to go fast and win (I haven't yet), I take it to the track or a closed course for an organized event. If I want to go fast an train on public roads and trails, I work the occasional recreational rider into it, and slow appropriately.

I like Strava, but anyone who thinks it's important to get KOM's there is crazy. DigitalEPO.com
Old 04-22-14, 08:31 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Good on you. I hate bullies.

File that complaint. The guy obviously has anger management or drug issues that need to be addressed, and my guess is that he's not going to do that on his own volition.

I know it's dangerous to stop and risk involvement greater than you expected, but I couldn't live with myself if I just rode by and did nothing. If that meant getting my ass kicked, well ... so be it.

I think I need some martial arts training.

Old 04-22-14, 08:35 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Good job!!!

Now im going to catch hell here, but he was one of the typical hell bent for speed roadie types that thot his grand ride was upset and his whole day was ruined for the .007865 seconds that he has to swerve. But then he had time to stop and abuse the woman. I too do not understand people like this. Im very glad he got his ass handed to him!!!!!
I've seen plenty of a**holes on bents also.
Old 04-22-14, 08:38 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Good job..

Old 04-22-14, 09:01 AM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of riders think they are training for the grand tour/ classic . I really don't understand this kind of mentality .
Old 04-22-14, 09:04 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Weather is better now, so people take their domestic disputes outside, after arguing inside all winter..

Oh wait was this both strangers, ? just meeting then .. ugh, Testosterone overloaded humans !

Hormones .. Mine is in remission , by now..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-22-14 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 09:28 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Great resolution to the issue. Unfortunately, if it were me, I would probably end up being the one with the injuries, but I hope that I would have had the presence of mind to tell the lady to ride away and call for help as I prepared to take my beating...

Up here a little further north, it is amazing how grateful pedestrians and others are that I announce my presence with a ding on the bell, or vocally... apparently my actions are rare. People should not use a multi-purpose path for training, but I think there is a subset of earth dwellers that think with their testosterone more than their brain, as in the episode from the OP.

It does bother me a bit that on MapMyRide there is a "Sprint" that someone has laid out in the middle of a MUP that I ride quite a bit, and it is heavily used by pedestrians and slower cyclists. I don't worry about getting points, but it is likely that someone out there does.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-22-14, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hats off to you sir!
Old 04-22-14, 11:27 AM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Intervening is NOT always a good idea. My son has tried to break up fights twice where both parties turned on him and beat him up pretty bad. The second time he regained consciousness in the street where they had apparently shoved him into oncoming traffic. The driver that struck him stopped to help him.

My advice (to him) is NEVER try to break up a fight between two people you don't know. They probably already know each other, are enraged, and might welcome a common enemy.
Intervention can be in the form of a phone call as well...
Old 04-22-14, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Well done. Glad everything turned out well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.