Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Misceo 3.0. Did I make the right choice?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I went to my LBS and tried some bikes. At the end I had to decide between the Trek 8.3 DS ($609) and the Raleigh Misceo 3.0 ($599 - 2103 model).

Raleigh Bicycles Misceo 3.0 - 2013 Lifestyle

I wanted a bike to ride mostly around paved trails and some packed dirt trails. Maybe eventually using it for commute to work (currently 5 miles each way).

I ended up buying the Misceo 3.0. Did I make the right choice? After searching online, I do not see much about this bike. Makes me wonder if it is a good bike, if the components are any good and, if it is good, why there is no much information online about it.

I will appreciate your feedback.
Old 04-22-14, 01:15 PM

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Misceo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Misceo 2.0 (2013) last year and have loved it so far. The components on the 3.0 are great for the price and the frame is solid - I think you'll love it once you've ridden it a bit.
Old 04-22-14, 01:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FSUGOLFPRO7671
I bought the Misceo 2.0 (2013) last year and have loved it so far. The components on the 3.0 are great for the price and the frame is solid - I think you'll love it once you've ridden it a bit.
Thanks. I was looking at my bike and it came with the 700x40c tires instead of the 700x38c. What
is the difference?
Old 04-22-14, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You made the right choice if it fits, was set up properly by the dealer and you enjoy riding the bike. The components on a bike from a major brand like Raleigh will be appropriate for the price you paid and more importantly will do their job very well. My suggestion is to not second guess your decision but just get out and ride.
Old 04-22-14, 01:42 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Emmanuec
Thanks. I was looking at my bike and it came with the 700x40c tires instead of the 700x38c. What is the difference?
Your tires are 2mm wider... Not a major deviation...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-22-14, 01:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Your tires are 2mm wider... Not a major deviation...
Thanks. I guess thats a good thing when riding it on unpaved trails.
Old 04-22-14, 03:38 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Delmarva
You made the right choice if it fits, was set up properly by the dealer and you enjoy riding the bike.
This. These are pretty much the only real criteria for what the 'right' bike is.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 04-22-14, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
This. These are pretty much the only real criteria for what the 'right' bike is.
Thanks. I enjoy riding it. Was worried that since I could not find
much about the bike, nothing could be upgraded. Ended up getting it with an additional $50 off and manufacturers rebate of $50 so it might come down to $499 from $850 MSRP.
Old 04-22-14, 03:56 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Nice bike...... 10 spd cog, hydraulic discs, wide tires and steel fork for a nicer ride, name brand, decent price - what's not to like about the Misceo..........

With that gearing, you should be able to ride it up a tree, and still go fast when you want to.

Good Choice
Old 04-22-14, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Nice bike...... 10 spd cog, hydraulic discs, wide tires and steel fork for a nicer ride, name brand, decent price - what's not to like about the Misceo..........

With that gearing, you should be able to ride it up a tree, and still go fast when you want to.

Good Choice
Thanks Wanderer.
Old 07-09-14, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got the same bike for commuting. I have a 13 mile "shortest" route that takes me over a couple of curbs & cracked streets, shoulders with debris etc.. So I didn't want to destroy my road bike on these roads. I have an alternate, safer, 14 mile route which includes 4 miles of crushed limestone levee road. I thought about putting hybrid tires on my mountain bike but this would just be wearing out the suspension for commuting which justified getting a new bike. In addition, I wanted a 20 speed (2x10) drive train that I could share components, chains & cassettes, with my road bike. Between price & what not, I narrowed it down to the Fuji Absolute 1.3D and the Misceo 3.0. They were both on sale for $699 and $649 respectively at the time. I have never used a SRAM drive train before but the Via Centro had good reviews and the Misceo had hydraulic disc brakes vs the Fuji's mechanical and the Fuji had narrower tires that would be far less friendly to the environment I was to ride. Also, I prefer the black color scheme and the $50 savings! My Misceo came with Kendra Happy Medium 40mm cyclocross tires which were just like fly paper on the pavement so I changed them out to Bontrager H2's 38mm and added liners as well as Slime tubes because I just dont like stopping for flats!! I also changed the seat for comfort. The one that came with it was a little chaffie, doing 27 miles/day or so, if you know what I mean.. lol Anyway, I'm into it for just over 700 miles now and I'm loving it. The H2's roll very quickly for a larger tire and they get me through just about anything the road has to offer plus some minor trail riding. The SRAM drive train is a pleasant surprise. It shifts very smoothly, on par with my road bikes 105 drive train. The SRAM PG1030 11-36 cassette that came with it was OK but I ride on all flat land so I changed it out for a Shimano 11-25 Tiagra road cassette that I happened to have with only a few hundred miles on it and save the larger cassette for any hill riding that may present itself in the future. I have had 1 issue. The bottom bracket lock nuts began to loosen a bit allowing for just a bit of play in the cranks after about 400 miles. The Sun & Ski guy (Where I bought the bike) tightened it right up and gave the rest of the bike a tune up & cable tightening free of charge.

Last edited by Ranmaniac; 07-09-14 at 08:42 AM.