Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

after first crit -- want to improve speed

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 04-26-14, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I just raced my first crit and took 2nd out of 20 riders in the field. I am a junior and am quite happy with the results! I just want to really focus on getting faster now and from what I have read, since I have been cycling for only 1.5 years, everybody is saying to just ride more. Been putting in 15hr weeks so far with only around 2 days per week of hitting the hills hard. I am always riding in the hills but usually just going up really easy.

The crits are all flat though so I am not sure how good hill training is for me? I also do one long 4-6 hour ride per week really easy (14-15mph), though I am not sure if that is good for my crit training also

I really enjoy hills and long rides, but you dont really do road races until you are cat 3, maybe cat 3... At least around where I am in pennsylvania.

how is my training looking so far do ya'll think thanks
Old 04-26-14, 06:37 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Some Real Racers will probably jump in here . . .

However, it is said that the way to get to ride faster is to ride faster. So try intervals at 30 mph or as close to that as you can get. Hold it as long as you can, recover, repeat. Say 2 sets of 3 on a moderate ride and after you're well warmed up. Really work on your aero position and form during these. Quit when you can't hit your speed any more. Crits are all about anaerobic efforts, recovering, and doing it again and again. So that's what you want to do. Try the "33" Road Bike Racing for better information. There's a sticky for intervals that's very useful and those folks are a mine of information.

You are doing great on your strong foundation. Chapeau!
Old 04-26-14, 07:46 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
You're awesome.

I was was just over at Amazon buying bike stuff I don't really need. There is a ton of info to be had. Buy a few books on training.

Old 04-27-14, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Some Real Racers will probably jump in here . . .

However, it is said that the way to get to ride faster is to ride faster. So try intervals at 30 mph or as close to that as you can get. Hold it as long as you can, recover, repeat. Say 2 sets of 3 on a moderate ride and after you're well warmed up. Really work on your aero position and form during these. Quit when you can't hit your speed any more. Crits are all about anaerobic efforts, recovering, and doing it again and again. So that's what you want to do. Try the "33" Road Bike Racing for better information. There's a sticky for intervals that's very useful and those folks are a mine of information.

You are doing great on your strong foundation. Chapeau!
Actually, he could short circuit all this and find a decent cycling coach to take him under their wing. That coach then might be able to come up with a training program that works on speed, but more importantly, the ability to cope with acceleration and surges. The OP, as a junior, obviously must have some talent to finish second in a crit, and at least consulting with a club coach might be helpful.
Old 04-27-14, 08:41 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I should have also mentioned sprint training. You usually can't win without winning the sprint. The traditional sprint workout is to do 30 second near maximal sprints with 5 minutes between sprints. Do a set of 6. Two other things: in your biggest gear, slow down to 10 mph or less, then accelerate all out until you are spinning, but not a full sprint. Focus on maximum pedal pressure. Recover well. Repeat 12 times. The other thing is weights, barbell squats in particular.