Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Apparently there are more than me

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 08:59 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Back in 2005 I bought my first bent. It was a left over 2004 that I got a good deal on. Almost immediately I was fully bent. Up till that time I had touring bike with a triple, and an mountain bike. After I got the Tailwind, I dont think those two bikes had more than 2 miles ever put on them again. One got sold in a garage sale, and the other traded in on the 26" wheel upgrade on my trike.

Apparently from what I read in these bike forums, im not the only one that has gone fully bent afte geting one. Is that true?
Old 04-28-14, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Not fully, but about 95%.

Old 04-28-14, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
For longer rides I definitely prefer my recumbent. The more urban an area gets, however, the more I appreciate my upright beater bike.
Old 04-28-14, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have 2 DF's but they NEVER get ridden. I've tried to sell them but no takers on either CG or the local "classified ad newspaperlets".
Old 04-28-14, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I ride my DF once in a blue moon. ( maybe 20 mi in 20 years) Then go back to my bent. So no, I don't see going back. Got my first one in '94 and haven't looked back.
Old 04-28-14, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
This section should come with a warning and it should be posted on the door of every recumbent shop. Recumbitis is a disease manifest by the symptoms of never having just the right recumbent or enough of them. It is also easily transmissible. Just ask several of my friends - most of whom own more than one recumbent

I gave my 1973 Motobecane Le Champion road bike with Phil Wood hubs to a local charity for people who needed transportation and could not afford a car. It showed up again at the place a few weeks later as the new owner found it to be too uncomfortable. I had tried to give it to all of my friends and nobody wanted it. That for a 21 pound bike in perfect working order.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 04-28-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 07:36 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My only safety bike, a Novara Big Buzz hybrid, is on extended loan to my younger son. It has been ridden very few miles by me since I bought my first bent in 2006.

Completely bent since replacing our upright tandem with a Screamer at the start of 2011.
Old 04-29-14, 06:58 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I got bent in 2003 due to medical problems. Before that, I rode uprights between 6 and 8,000 miles a year since 1982 and never complained about the saddle, my hands or whatever.

Fast forward 10 years and my medical problems are gone and I've been riding an upright quite a bit even though I still ride my bents the most. What I've noticed is that in the last 10 years, upright technology has improved a lot. My latest upright is the smoothest, silkiest upright that I've ever owned, the carbon bars absorb shock quite well and the saddle has been fitted for my rear end. I find my upright to be an absolute joy to ride. Granted, it's a very high end piece of equipment.

Anyway, I still love my bents and my trike (rode it today) but I don't see uprights as the evil machine that many recumbent riders do.

Old 04-30-14, 07:16 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
After several months of riding my first bent, we were cleaning out the garage, and I decided to ride my mountain bike around the block. It was strange just how weird it felt. I felt like I was perched clear up in the air, and about to go over the handle bars at any moment.
Old 04-30-14, 08:05 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
...Snip... I don't see uprights as the evil machine that many recumbent riders do.
If my butt didn't hurt, I'd ride mine more too. Also I like to get where I'm going and the bent is a lot faster for me. I'm not an evangelist- Ride what you like, like what you ride.
Old 04-30-14, 10:00 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv
Also I like to get where I'm going and the bent is a lot faster for me. I'm not an evangelist- Ride what you like, like what you ride.
I agree and bents or trike are still my first grab out the door.

Old 05-04-14, 12:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode DF bikes for 20 years then nothing for 10 years due to a condition called Spina Bifida...when I test rode a recumbent 4 years ago I found I was able to ride without pain...I got rid of my mountain bike and have since owned 3 tadpole trikes, a delta trike, and 2 SWB two wheel recumbents...I got a Cannondale Quick 5 last May for my Ex to try and keep up with me...rode it a few weeks ago and was quickly reminded why I'm bent...I still have 3 of my recumbents and the DF bike in the garage to choose from...unfortunately back pain has come back and I have been grounded for the most part the last 8 weeks...I miss riding my bikes no matter what configuration they may be...

Old 05-04-14, 05:41 AM
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased my first recumbent in 1990 or 1991 (I really don't recall which year) after meeting Steve Roberts who was riding the country on a recumbent he called 'winnebiko'. It was a DeFelease Bitubular model, made of mild steel at his machine shop in New Palistine, IN. Rode it for a couple years, but the darn thing weighed about 50lbs before I added accessories. So after a while, I went back to a diamond frame and rode it on and off until 2006. Got back into recumbents then and have not looked back. I've had an actionbent short wheel base, a Catrike trail, a Bacchetta Corsa, a Bacchetta Strada, a Bacchetta Giro 26 (all the Bacchetta high racers bothered my back) and finally a Bacchetta long wheel base Belladare. I just purchased a Catrike 'Annihilator' V81, to ride on the weekends. So, yes, I have gone back to a diamond frame after being bent, but I'm pretty fully bent these days, and commute on my Bacchetta Belladere almost every day.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL