Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old dog, new trick (I could get used to this)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 06:42 AM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts

One of my winter goals on the trainer was to spend more time riding with my hand in the drops (or in my case drop), and try to translate that to the road come spring. The first couple of efforts on the road, however, left me where I have been since I was a much younger man, just not that comfortable with the visibility or bike control I had with my one hand down there.

The past few weeks have brought on barreling north winds. I commute from the south. What better time than to experiment with high cadence, low body position, grind it out, and not worry too much about speed?

Low (pun intended) and behold, I've ridden about 200 miles hunkered down like a junior racer. It flat out works, and none of the control issues I'd felt before are there now. When I go up to the hoods, or God forbid the top bar, it's starting to feel like I'm riding a too tall hybrid. Maybe I need to slam the whatever and lower the whatchamacallit.

I'm thinking we never get too old to try something fresh.
Old 05-02-14, 07:18 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A lot of old dogs are going to recumbent bikes or trikes. First of all you dont have to "hunker down" to be aero, and you dont end up staring at your front wheel. Second on a bent your belly and lung arent all compressed, and you can breath easier and deeper, allowing you to ride further and faster.
Old 05-02-14, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
A lot of old dogs are going to recumbent bikes or trikes. First of all you dont have to "hunker down" to be aero, and you dont end up staring at your front wheel. Second on a bent your belly and lung arent all compressed, and you can breath easier and deeper, allowing you to ride further and faster.
But you have to contend with the wind blowing up the legs of your baggy shorts!
Old 05-02-14, 06:47 PM

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpelle
That's VERY refreshing!
Old 05-02-14, 10:16 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Marge, the record player is broken again, it keeps playing the same old verse over again.
Old 05-06-14, 02:52 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpelle
On a hot day, I'll take it!
Old 05-06-14, 04:01 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,228 Posts
A low position for some of us (on a traditional diamond frame) can be more about hip rotation/saddle positions than back bending. To get aero for a headwind try to be as narrow as possible, if you can't get low.
Old 05-06-14, 06:17 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I use the hoods much of the time and the drops when its into the wind or a descent. No problems with feeling cramped or scrunched up when I am in either, I bend forward from my pelvis/hips, my back is pretty much straight and very comfortable for me. I don't recall staring at my front wheel at all. With the recent winds we have had the drops or hoods help out and dropping down one gear if its blowing head on lets me keep my cadence in a power producing range. Checking my average speeds, the are holding up well, which surprised me.

Tigat, as much as you have overcome I look up to you and your accomplishments, well done, sir, well done.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13