Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Flamingo bags, cases etc

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Flamingo bags, cases etc

Old 05-02-14, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flamingo bags, cases etc

Bought a BICKERTON padded bag for SGD80 (USD 64) as it seemed durable, discreet enough (I could do without the company name), decent value compared to the Brompton B bag. (astronomical SGD357 at MIGHTY VELO, the Singapore retailer for Brompton) and folded up it could barely squeeze into my bike's Flamingo front bag. It zips from both ends and the zipper tags will allow a TSA padlock. There is a zippered pocket inside for pedals etc.

My plan is to use that airport tie-up service that with straps scrunches up into tight shapes more or less unbreakable overly large packages. At the very least it'll be a good dust cover for deep storage. It is actually a bit too large (intended for 20 inchers?), but at it's very easy to get the folded bike in and out.

Tern bag seemed too neurotically organized and anyway it's too different, intended only for their own disassemblable bikes it appears.

Why don't I use the one that came with the bike? Firstly, I'm not sure anything does. Secondly, the one rustled up by the manager of MBS in Singapore fits so poorly that I suspect it is made for a different model of Flamingo such as the MIT-V8 or the Brompton itself.

My only complaint of the Bickerton is that the interior material is black, making seeing the interior more difficult for the half-blind middle-aged. It's clearly less light reflecting than if it was silver or even grey. I know from my own experiences designing luggage organizing pockets that black is a cheap and stupid choice - easy to find but hard to use. I have since started replacing all my own travel zippered pocket bottoms that I had made in Phnom Penh and Hanoi with WHITE. Why? So, I can SEE everything!

Advice on what bags work well for touring, storing, transporting etc, I welcome, that is bags to hold other stuff on the bike and to hold the bike itself. This includes its newest incarnation - MIT and its old ones MERC and NEOBIKE, in other words Brompton clones. For all practical purposes this means Bromptons - maybe. Why a whole thread dedicated to Brompton clone accessories? Because I do not have confidence that what works in theory works in practice when it comes to anything, especially knock-offs.

Last edited by Hermespan; 05-02-14 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shopping for bags fitting 16" Flamingo in Malaysia

It appears that Kuala Lumpur is a. 'primate city' to use economist's vocabulary. There is the capital city and upcountry. At least when it comes to bicycle parts? Maybe bike geeks buy online. Anyway, in Melaka I am looking for a pannier-like portable bag to hang off the back of my Flamingo NX7 rack and quickly turn into a shoulder bag or backpack. Curiously, the Roadalink shop sells something that could do the job if I didn't have to completely change (or jerry rig?) the rack. After all I have roller wheels. The bag is called MTX Trunkbag DXP (RM304 = USD94 before any discount) Well-built sturdy material panniers fold up into sides but couldn't hold much more than a windbreaker each. By Topeak (Taiwan)

Second option is a shorter knockoff of Biologic (Tern) Commute Bag - Tern item in shop brochure but not in stock. Also Topeak - Quick MTX Track, i.e. same click in attachment underneath. Waterproof (resistant?) RM325

Same challenges as above - proprietary parts, black instead of a light colour interior so can't see small objects inside and rather expensive.

The Flamingo front clip-on bag is acceptable but I think the design committee missed a meeting or I got a second - the space for the fingers to carry it is too small except for a leprechaun. What *does* work with a Flamingo - ah, Brompton $$$...

Last edited by Hermespan; 05-10-14 at 01:59 AM.