Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike that warns you when cars get too close....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 09:26 AM
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This gee whiz "ultimate connected commuter" has gotten over $230K in kickstarter money so far which I find unfathomable but, hey good for them I guess.

Carbon fiber smart bike warns when cars come too close | Springwise

There is so much wrong going on here I don't even know where to begin. I'm speechless, so I'll let you all do it.
Old 05-07-14, 09:56 AM
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't want a bike that has its own operating system. I wonder if the people who design these things or the people who gush over the design of these things even ride a bike on a regular basis.
Old 05-07-14, 09:58 AM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The following is a copy and paste off my 2 cents from a thread in SSFG that was started 5 days ago:

I like tech, but I'm also a tightwad, so here's my take on this design:

- The bike has sensors built-in to the frame itself or well concealed bolt-ons? If inside the frame, how do you replace them when they go on the fritz? If bolted on, that is just that much more stuff I gotta worry about walking away while locked up.

- Power: How are you supposed to recharge the sensors? And the sync'ing to your smartphone will just drain the phone battery that much quicker. Of course, this goes on the assumption that one has a smartphone to begin with...

- Data charges: All of those traffic alerts is gonna incur data charges/require data plan of some kind.

-Their tracking after it gets stolen is predicated on a network of others that have the same bike, and if nobody passes it or you are the only person to own one, that feature is worthless.

- They are marketing to commuters, right? Aside from the rack/fender issues, it is a 16 pound CF which is gonna take at least half of that weight in hardened steel locks to protect it and those locks could damage the frame over time...

- Those 'blind spot' sensors are a gimmick, IMO.

... and I don't like the color of the wheels.
Old 05-07-14, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
No way to attach a rack and fenders, no gears, doomed to the virtual trash heap of failed ideas.
Old 05-07-14, 10:19 AM
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
No way to attach a rack and fenders, no gears, doomed to the virtual trash heap of failed ideas.
Agree, it's a rich person's toy without those basic expandability points.

- Andy
Old 05-07-14, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I will eat a certain body part on my webcam (without hot sauce or beverage) if that bike has anything in it more advanced than a threadless headset. I have watched an increasingly more elaborate parade of vaporware infomercials strut their stuff on crowdfunding websites. How long before there is a backlash? I mean... THE Christopher Lloyd is, as we speak, pitching authentic Zero Gravity Skateboards like those in Back To The Future. When established celebrities lend their names and images to these charlatans, whose only goal is to make a buck, the general public had better run for cover. The amounts of money some of these startups are pulling in is jaw-dropping. How did we get electronic shifting derailleurs without Kickstarter? How did we even get carbon fiber frames and forks without crowdfunding? Somehow we managed. And when the last of these entities has been driven out of cyberspace with pitchforks, tar and feathers... ... well... some new scam will arise with the set goal of getting whats in your wallet into someone elses without them having to cook, weave, weld, or otherwise work in any way shape or form, for it.

H
Old 05-07-14, 10:51 AM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Perhaps the concept is flawed, but perhaps something valuable will come out of it that we will appreciate. I can see using a seat-tube as a storage point for the electronics/batteries etc. Charge it through a SON Hub or replace the batteries, or have a plug-in somewhere to charge while at home. For me, its more a question of: Once the alert goes off, do I have any time to react or do I just know I'm about to get pummeled or near missed? I think it would be a fine line between being so conservative as to just warn of every passing car and hence be useless, and notifying too late to do any good. I won't be buying one.
Old 05-07-14, 11:12 AM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I mean... THE Christopher Lloyd is, as we speak, pitching authentic Zero Gravity Skateboards like those in Back To The Future. When established celebrities lend their names and images to these charlatans, whose only goal is to make a buck, the general public had better run for cover.
How did you miss the fact that the hoverboard commercial was made for Will Ferrel's Funny or Die channel? It was a joke.
Old 05-07-14, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
How did you miss the fact that the hoverboard commercial was made for Will Ferrel's Funny or Die channel? It was a joke.
Maybe because that isn't where I saw it? Nevertheless, my point remains. A LOT of unproduceable gear is being 'sold' on crowdfund sites and people are parting with real cash to become early adopters. There is no way on earth some of this stuff is ever going to become reality in our lifetimes. Like the bike above. I hope you haven't authorized any Paypal transfers to them.

H
Old 05-07-14, 11:41 AM
Pedalin' Erry Day

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I don't see the point - if a car was coming is fast enough that they can't avoid steering into the bicyclist, a sensor might detect it, but even assuming there was a place for the bike to go, could a rider react fast enough to get out of the way of danger?
Old 05-07-14, 11:46 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Speaking of headsets, what the hell is going on with that huge gap between the fork crown and bottom of the head tube?
Old 05-07-14, 11:56 AM
Cycle Dallas

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Maybe because that isn't where I saw it? Nevertheless, my point remains. A LOT of unproduceable gear is being 'sold' on crowdfund sites and people are parting with real cash to become early adopters. There is no way on earth some of this stuff is ever going to become reality in our lifetimes. Like the bike above. I hope you haven't authorized any Paypal transfers to them.

H
No debate from me that scads of these crowdfunding projects are merely 21st century snake oil. We are on the same page there.

Presenting a parody video as an example of fraud does weaken the argument, though.

Carry on.
Old 05-07-14, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
I don't see the point - if a car was coming is fast enough that they can't avoid steering into the bicyclist, a sensor might detect it, but even assuming there was a place for the bike to go, could a rider react fast enough to get out of the way of danger?
Wouldn't it make more sense to warn the car they are about to hit the bike? At least there's a chance the driver could take corrective action. My bike lights and clothes currently serve that function, but I guess an additional warning system could help. However, no need to incorporate into a whole bike...just make it a stand alone accessory. Much larger potential market, I would think.
Old 05-07-14, 12:41 PM
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You don't need to build a whole entire useless over-expensive bike to develop a proximity sensor for a bike.

Also, mocking & berating a way for potentially game changing & life improving concepts to become a reality.... really? If YOU arent into it, don't be into it, but don't armchair expert others about something you have no experience with, even if some of the projects being funded are stupid.

- Andy
Old 05-07-14, 01:01 PM
Cycle Dallas

Originally Posted by TransitBiker
You don't need to build a whole entire useless over-expensive bike to develop a proximity sensor for a bike.

Also, mocking & berating a way for potentially game changing & life improving concepts to become a reality.... really? If YOU arent into it, don't be into it, but don't armchair expert others about something you have no experience with, even if some of the projects being funded are stupid.

- Andy
Mocking and berating? The crowdfunding concept came on the scene with such promise. Unfortunately, it has been exploited and abused to the point of becoming a punchline. Many have come to put it in the same boat as the Nigerian prince emails.
Old 05-07-14, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I need the bike to warn me when a car comes too close, I'll probably figure that out on my own.

There's some cool stuff mentioned but, like other have said, what kind of commuter doesn't have mounts for rack and fenders? I can see its usefulness as a concept bike for exploring different ideas but it doesn't seem appropriate for the commuter market as is.
Old 05-07-14, 01:52 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
^^I agree - if you think of it as a concept bike it's a lot less ridiculous than if you think of commuting on it.
Old 05-07-14, 03:53 PM

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the GPS signaling turn feedback in the handlebars. As a concept bike we have to throw away what the bike itself looks like and look at its actual functions. Like you could incorporate the smart handlebars into any bike. I think the creators were just using the single speed carbon bike for showing off the electronics. Imagine having a garmin on your handlebars and the left side of your bar vibrated indicating you need to turn at the next left. Sounds cool to me. The other sensors and bells and whistles could be incorparated elsewhere. How about people who make a living riding bikes? I like it as a concept and could easily see some of the ideas coming to life.

Last edited by gunner65; 05-07-14 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 03:57 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hard to see the point of this. Lots of sensors when a Garmin Edge will do most of it for you, and you can unclip the Edge and take it away with you when you park the bike.

Not sure what the haptic feedback through the handlebars is supposed to achieve. So I know someone is bearing down on me, dangerously close, and what am I supposed to do with this information? Unless the road is such that I can prepare to steer into the ditch it's no help at all.
Old 05-07-14, 04:22 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
High tech and a Fixie ,, Googleaires get out them fat wallets .. that IT money needs to circulate in the economy .
Old 05-07-14, 04:49 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gunner65
I like the GPS signaling turn feedback in the handlebars. As a concept bike we have to throw away what the bike itself looks like and look at its actual functions. Like you could incorporate the smart handlebars into any bike. I think the creators were just using the single speed carbon bike for showing off the electronics. Imagine having a garmin on your handlebars and the left side of your bar vibrated indicating you need to turn at the next left. Sounds cool to me. The other sensors and bells and whistles could be incorparated elsewhere. How about people who make a living riding bikes? I like it as a concept and could easily see some of the ideas coming to life.
You must've missed out on this discussion- https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...will-work.html. Different product, similar concept (as far as a navigational aid goes).
Old 05-07-14, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My handlebars are already configured to give me haptic feedback regarding road conditions.
Old 05-07-14, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One of the biggest reasons I spend so much time on my bike is to escape crap like this.
Old 05-07-14, 05:51 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I wish I could get my hands on this gimmick, just so I can throw it into a dumpster.
Old 05-07-14, 06:58 PM
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My handlebars are already configured to give me haptic feedback regarding road conditions.
Haha. I see what you did there!

- Andy