Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best old frame to build from

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Best old frame to build from

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I built just that from a 1994 fuji frame. New parts all over. Xtr, Slx, Deore, xt all mixed up. Put a rockshox tora on it. My best multi purpose bike ever. Don't let the naysayers stop you.
Old 05-11-14, 07:29 AM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I love 70's Era Frames

Here's a few more of my creations that might inspire OP (if the turd blossoms didn't chase him off permanently):
1973 Super Course frame/fork with drum brakes and 2x9 drive train:

1970 Super Sport frame/fork built up single speed for my Best Man's son's college bike:

1973 Sport Tourer frame/fork built up single speed for my son's college bike (raw finish)

a few new projects:
1973 Super Sport frame/fork stripped clean, waiting for inspiration:

1978 Astro Daimler 531 DB frame/fork that will have all modern equipment and become my long distance road bike with 3x9 drivetrain:
Old 05-11-14, 07:54 AM

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
O

Thats what I built. 3x9 48-38-28 11-34 at the back. Has off road and onroad wheelsets, xt calipers on deore levers, an xtr chain and slx hubs.It has rockshox tora up front with a.lock and height adjustment from 80-120mm. I could buy something like it easily enough but I built it from a lonely looking frame and we've done 30,000km together. Much more fun this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG1375.jpg (92.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-11-14, 09:43 AM
afraid of whales

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
...I could buy something like it easily enough but I built it from a lonely looking frame and we've done 30,000km together. Much more fun this way.
That's exactly my view, it's cool riding a bike I've built from the ground up, and rim brakes on a commuter bike suck...with all due respect
Old 05-14-14, 09:35 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Road bike geometry is a bit different, but part of the difference is that road bike geometry is designed to be used with drop bars. If you put a flat bar on a road bike, as a general rule, the geometry ends up being completely wrong.
I haven't found many road bikes that are lousy with upright handlebars.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-14-14, 04:48 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
As an A+ Certified PC Repair Technician I could easily build myself any kind of computer I want. Back in the day my colleagues and I would do just that. These days there is no way a one off build can touch what Dell or HP can put in your media room. Tiger Direct discounts motherboards and chipsets when you buy 10 or more. Dell buys chipsets by the millions. Yeah, yeah, yeah... its for the experience... ... I'd rather use the damn thing. There is a group of PC enthusiasts called modders that build jaw dropping creations that are not possible to buy for love or money. That is a valid use of creative energy. Bike builders who fabricate choppers or restore vintage machines get my respect. People who cobble together off the shelf parts in non-sanctioned ways, not so much. I don't think its wrong to tell someone they are wasting money, or their time or re-inventing the wheel. If they are. You are absolutely correct in your second paragraph summation. When you go further and consider the assortment of BSO's in department stores, it gets even harder to justify the expenditure of time, money and energy it needs to bring a late 80's early 90's steel mtb frame into the 21st Century.

H
Sure, for basic home use, definitely.

But if you've got to upgrade the power supply to feed your graphics card(s), and you already have a windows license? Now it's more economical to build.

Admittedly, gamers and PC graphics development are niche markets.
Old 05-14-14, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why would road bikes be lousy with flat handlebars? They work fine on the tops...
Old 05-14-14, 10:01 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
Why would road bikes be lousy with flat handlebars? They work fine on the tops...
I wouldn't have said lousy. Just not quite right. Bike designed for flat bars have more reach (longer top tube) relative to the expected bar height. Putting drop bars on a bike like that is more of a problem than going the other way, but flat bars on a road bike is still less than desirable in my opinion. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you'd be better off starting with a frame designed for flat bars.
Old 05-15-14, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I wouldn't have said lousy. Just not quite right. Bike designed for flat bars have more reach (longer top tube) relative to the expected bar height. Putting drop bars on a bike like that is more of a problem than going the other way, but flat bars on a road bike is still less than desirable in my opinion. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you'd be better off starting with a frame designed for flat bars.
Yeah, the difference can be really obvious going the other way. If you put drops on a mountain bike without changing the stem you'll probably find yourself uncomfortably stretched out on the hoods and the drops will be too low.

The tops on a drop bar are sort of like narrow flat bars with no rise or sweep to them, but not many flat bars are like that (though some are). The end result of putting the typical flat bar on a road frame will be a more upright riding posture, which maybe OK, if not exactly intended. You've also completely taken away the more aerodynamic riding position of being in the drops.

If the OP's goal in choosing a road frame was better performance then he would be largely negating that by putting flat bars on it. That's why a performance hybrid frame or even a mountain bike frame might be preferred. Of course just like flat to drop conversions you can somewhat compensate for differing top tube lengths by using another stem.

It has become very fashionable in the fixed gear world to put flat bars on road bikes so it's a pretty common conversion. I'm not sure everyone understands the aerodynamic consequences nor do they probably care.

Last edited by tjspiel; 05-15-14 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-15-14, 10:43 AM

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I'm building an "89 Hybrid into my first commuter. The frame is a rigid mountain bike, I've got 700c 35c slicks for bump absorption, rack, fenders, lights, and I'm putting dropped bar ends and bike bucket Kittiers on the rack. I'm way upside down on value, but I'm having the time of my life customizing the ride, and getting into fighting trim!