Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fat Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-14, 05:11 AM

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Fat Bikes

I recently bought a Fat Bike (mostly) for winter riding/commuting, after 2 years of looking researching and waiting for something in my budget.
I wonder if anyone else is in this forum is riding a Fatty?
Also trying to create enough interest for a Fat Bike Forum.

Please reply if:
You Ride a Fat Bike
Are Interested in learning more about Fat Bikes
Would like to see a forum dedicated to Fat Bikes
Attached Images
Old 05-10-14, 07:10 AM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks cool! How much does it weigh?

Charlie
Old 05-10-14, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
took two test rides in Dec. in 4 to 6 inches of snow and was sold - couldn't wipe the grin off my face.
ordered a Large Fatboy Expert and waited over 4 1/2 months for it to come in - If anyone is thinking of trying it - two words
"Plan early" I know the LBS store still has 5 orders "Med size" waiting to be filled
Old 05-10-14, 08:10 AM

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
Looks cool! How much does it weigh?

Charlie
Advertised weight around 30 lbs - including factory rack. Alloy frame. Alloy rims although they're not drilled out.

I don't have a scale to hang it from, but feels like 4 or 5 lbs heavier than alum frame hardtail with front shocks.
Old 05-10-14, 08:33 AM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So not too heavy - looks like it would be fun to ride.

Charlie
Old 05-10-14, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I've ridden a Pugsley for the last 2 seasons.
They are fun but you need to really think before buying. There is a reason you see so many for sale in the used market.
I was expecting a ATV type of experience, go anywhere do anything.
They are actually only useful in a narrow range of conditions. They are great fun and unstoppable in 1-2 inches of snow.
Much more than that it's tough going. At around 4 they need a broken trail - they just can't push through. There is a tendency for the broken trail to be very narrow and I can't ride a skinny if my life depended on it.
You can't stand up on a hill as you loose traction immediately - I assume something to do with the low ground force.
Around here a snow fall seems to usually be followed by a thaw - the trail turns to a churned up bumpy icy mess that is unrideable. Tires are ridiculous prices, specially studded tires which would be really useful.

Fat bikes are great in the spring - on soft trails the big tires roll down all the ruts and hoof prints, actually improving the trail. The big soft tires are far better than any suspension at soaking up small sharp stuff like hoof prints on the rail trail and double track.
Old 05-10-14, 09:42 AM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
So not too heavy - looks like it would be fun to ride.

Charlie
Its a blast to ride. Gearing is a bit high, so glad its light - in the process of swapping the stock 14-28 freewheel for a 14-34.
It has more of a "cruiser" geometry (yoke style chain stay) than a Pugsley.; which I don't mind as I will use it for some cargo hauling.
Factory bolt-on alloy rack is very sturdy and saved a few $$$, too.
Old 05-10-14, 10:03 AM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Slash5
I've ridden a Pugsley for the last 2 seasons.
They are fun but you need to really think before buying. There is a reason you see so many for sale in the used market.
I was expecting a ATV type of experience, go anywhere do anything.
They are actually only useful in a narrow range of conditions. They are great fun and unstoppable in 1-2 inches of snow.
Much more than that it's tough going. At around 4 they need a broken trail - they just can't push through. There is a tendency for the broken trail to be very narrow and I can't ride a skinny if my life depended on it.
You can't stand up on a hill as you loose traction immediately - I assume something to do with the low ground force.
Around here a snow fall seems to usually be followed by a thaw - the trail turns to a churned up bumpy icy mess that is unrideable. Tires are ridiculous prices, specially studded tires which would be really useful.

Fat bikes are great in the spring - on soft trails the big tires roll down all the ruts and hoof prints, actually improving the trail. The big soft tires are far better than any suspension at soaking up small sharp stuff like hoof prints on the rail trail and double track.

Interesting - Before getting this bike, I test rode a Pugsley with 3.8 tires, a Mukluk with 4.0's and a Moon Lander with 4,8's around Saskatoon. Test rides ranged from hard pack bike & MUP paths to 6"-8" loose fluffy snow, to city streets with every condition imaginable (icy intersections, frozen ruts, lots of snow near the curb). The Mukluk was best over-all, lighter with aluminum frame and reasonable flotation. The moon lander was a custom setup 1 x 5 with super low gearing - so not suited to riding in traffic.

I couldn't ride any of them standing - need to keep rider weight over the back wheel. Got my bike late this spring, but we had one good snow fall and had no problem with with 4"-6" of wet snow - running 8-10 psi.

Agree tires can cost as much as for my Toyota, stud kits are available - but you would still need another set of tires for summer riding. Looks like a lot of development by Vee Tire and Innova (who supposedly make Surly tires) so more choices and some competitive prices -also alot of folding tires + cheap shipping for online deals - as long as you know what you are getting.

I'm hoping to be able to extend my commuting season to most of the winter (walking distance if I can't ride) and be able to ride recreationly all winter on MUP.
Old 05-10-14, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
One of the surprising things I found about my Pugsley is the incredible difference that even 1-2psi of pressure makes in the snow. I run a Nate on the rear and a Larry on the front. On marginal conditions, like churned-up trail with 4-5 inches of snow, 10psi is unusable, while 8psi works just fine. There have been a couple of times when I went down to 4psi.

A fat bike will certainly not let you go through everything, but here in upstate NY with 100+ inches of snow a year it makes year-round riding possible. I think there was only one week where I couldn't put at least 20 miles on the Pugs.
Old 05-11-14, 11:09 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Why are you Spreading this post in 5 different threads GTryder? go test ride one you tell your own story ..

the LBS here has coaster-Cruiser and Nuvinci Hub Sun Brand Bikes ., Pugslys are Available on order .. QBP brand

Alaskans seem to buy a Lot of them ..
Old 05-11-14, 11:59 AM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Why are you Spreading this post in 5 different threads GTryder? go test ride one you tell your own story ..

the LBS here has coaster-Cruiser and Nuvinci Hub Sun Brand Bikes ., Pugslys are Available on order .. QBP brand

Alaskans seem to buy a Lot of them ..
This might clarify things a bit:
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...l#post16745829

As stated in post #8 above, I did test ride & the results are shared in that post.

I would be happy to "tell more of my story" and do a review of the bike I bought - which forum should I use?
...Or wait until we actually get a Fat Bike forum up and running?

Since there have been positive replies in most the forums I posted in, which would be best to continue this in?

BTW, did you notice the width of the Nuvinci Hubs on the Sun bikes or could you pm me with the name of the shop so I can further check into it?
Thnx.

Last edited by GTryder; 05-11-14 at 12:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-11-14, 12:19 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
which, ask the moderators? maybe the Winter one it will be quiet for a while , then link all the redundant ones elsewhere

sun bicycles Sun Bicycles - Products the Nuvinci one is not shown though there is a contact address to ask them

Hub company https://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci-technology

There are Canadians dropping across the Border and the Columbia River and buying bicycles in Oregon ..
and skipping the US state sales taxes, Oregon does not charge them,

... and those back home if they bring the bike back and dont declare it to customs and get it dirty enough.

Not my shop .. Bikes and Beyond current front page shows the Nu Vinci Model on top Right side.
Old 05-11-14, 12:38 PM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The Winter forum (with links from the others) sounds best, since that was my primary purpose for a fat bike.
It will take a bit of time to write up and get some decent photos, along with covering some modifications I've started on the bike.

In the mean time, I'm not planning any new posts or threads, but will reply to comments or questions.

Happy biking, no matter what you pedal or peddle.