Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

blood donation impact on performance

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-10-14, 01:05 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts

I don't know about the rest of you, but donating blood has always reduced my bicycling performance by a good 10% for at least a week or two. This makes some sense to me, since one donates roughly 10% of one's total capacity.

I was reminded of this phenomenon today -- I gave blood after lunch on Tuesday, and when I rode the Bianchi this morning I found myself gearing down lower than usual on the climbs and against headwinds.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-10-14, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I'd say that's right.

Old 05-10-14, 01:54 PM

Bikes: '88 Centurion Ironman, '97 Jamis Eclipse,'84 Ron Stout, '89 Miyata 1400, '82 Miyata 1000,'88 Schwinn Tempo, '84 Fuji Touring Series IV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't notice it beyond two or three days.
Old 05-10-14, 02:40 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A week or two seems like a long recovery time to me. When I was in my 20's I commuted to work in a small hospital. If we had an emergency, I could get paid for a blood donation and, at the time, I really needed the money. After donating, I'd drink the orange juice, ride my bike home, and never thought a thing of it. Not only did I not keep track of things like time, distance or speed in those days, but that was before bike computers even existed.
Old 05-10-14, 05:46 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I've noticed very similar performance drop offs.
Old 05-10-14, 07:04 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yep, and it seems to be age-relates as to how long it affects you. Back when I was 30, I'd recover in 3 days or so. By the time I crossed the 50 mark it was taking a week. And there was no season when I could afford a week's recovery. My donations became very sporadic, and finally stopped about 5 years ago.
Old 05-10-14, 08:54 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Very hilly 50 mile ride last Saturday after donating on Tuesday. Felt shy of a full load of RBC's on the climbs but made it without trouble. Not very fast on the ride but that's my norm.
Don't think much data exists on the effects of regular blood donation.
Would be interested in knowing my blood levels of Hct, Hgb, etc. for the week or two post-donation. I donate about four times a year.
Old 05-11-14, 10:22 AM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have my doubts that giving blood one day would affect performance 4 days later. With that said, this is a my personal anecdote..

Last fall I was having an extensive series of blood tests and one day had to give up 18 vials of blood in one sitting. I asked the phlebotomist if I could exercise that afternoon and she told me I could and it would not be a problem. She had no idea I was headed out on my bike for a somewhat hilly 30 miles.

After a light lunch I headed out. About 12 miles in I bonked, HARD. That particular loop is normally an afterthought to me, can typically do it with little water and no in-ride nutrition. Fortunately I had some peanut butter with me, but it took about 40 minutes to feel the energy from it. I guess the word exercise means different things to different people.
Old 05-11-14, 11:02 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Blood doping is donating blood for storage, and after the body replenishes itself of red blood cells you put the ones removed back in ..

As I understand , the Racers get caught because they cannot wait for the performance dip to pass ,
and use someone else's blood and the DNA conflicts are detectable. or take EPO , a pharmaceutical for anemia, that is also detected.
Old 05-11-14, 11:31 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Can't say I've noticed an effect. On the other hand, there are apparently benefits from giving blood - kind of a 'renewal' I guess.
Old 05-11-14, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Not allowed to donate anymore and miss doing so.

oops, link discontinued, sorry

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 05-12-14 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-11-14, 03:03 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I tried that once giving plasma, on either the same day or the day after, don't remember which. Not only did it affect my ride but people were looking at me and telling me I was white as a ghost immediately upon my return from my ride.
Old 05-11-14, 03:04 PM

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I would say it depends on how hard you are riding. When I was young(er) and strong(er) I commuted by bicycle, about 12 miles each way. Gave blood every 8-10 weeks. Then met some folks who did a weekly ride, 30-50 miles, I had to really struggle to keep up! The first time I went after giving blood, after about 3 miles I realized it was not going to work.
It actually takes a few weeks to replace the red cells (4-6 is probably the ballpark) although the plasma volume is back after a couple of days, so if you are really training hard, and especially if you are monitoring speed, heartrate, power, I'm not surprised that you would notice a difference for at least a couple of weeks.
Old 05-11-14, 05:47 PM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Blood doping is donating blood for storage, and after the body replenishes itself of red blood cells you put the ones removed back in ..

As I understand , the Racers get caught because they cannot wait for the performance dip to pass ,
and use someone else's blood and the DNA conflicts are detectable. or take EPO , a pharmaceutical for anemia, that is also detected.
The original blood doping scandal of modern times was by the US cycling team at the '84 olympics in LA. There were no rules or laws against it at the time even though it was unethical and extremely dangerous, as other people's blood was used.
Interesting account: Vampirism at the Olympics
Old 05-11-14, 06:01 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
The original blood doping scandal of modern times was by the US cycling team at the '84 olympics in LA. There were no rules or laws against it at the time even though it was unethical and extremely dangerous, as other people's blood was used.
Interesting account: Vampirism at the Olympics
It should me mentioned that neither of the two road race gold medalists were thought to have taken part in the transfusions. Alexi Grewal was estranged from head coach Edward Borysewicz who didn't even want him on the team (not known as a team player then). Borysewicz actually conspired with the other riders to work against Grewal in the qualifiers but he qualified anyway.

Connie Carpenter Phinney was horrified at what was going on and rightfully concluded that it would taint their victories. IOW, she didn't need it. Silver medalist Rebecca Twig was the highest road race medalist thought to be in on the transfusions.
Old 05-11-14, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
If you gave 10% of your blood volume two things happen. You lose 10% of your red blood cells and you lose the actual volume of blood. This reduces the ability to get oxygen into your muscle cells. You will reach your anaerobic threshold at a lower work load. Replenish your volume by hydrating well. Your body will take care of the rest by manufacturing new red cells. Until then you will have a drop in performance. How long this takes for full recovery depends on your age and general health.
Old 05-11-14, 06:32 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I wrote up some experiences here: https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-c...ood-cells.html
Old 05-11-14, 07:32 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I gave blood last Sunday, and I had a harder time with a 25 mile ride yesterday than I did a 30 mile ride the day before my donation... I hadn't considered the blood donation as an issue, but now I wonder. I'll need to see how I do next week.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-12-14, 02:31 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
I used to not notice giving blood and gave a lot of it. In 2011, at the age of 65, I gave a pint less than a week before the start of the FANY ride, a supported tour, Five hundred miles Across New York, in 7 days, so typically, 70 miles a day. I felt fine for the first 30 miles or so each day, but then felt out of energy for the remainder of each day's ride. Once I stopped in the middle of nowhere, laid on a guard rail (some roads in NY have square cross section guard rails!) and took a nap!

In early 2012, I had a knee replacement. I had to bank my own blood for the surgery. Six weeks before, give a pint and 4 weeks before give a second pint. My hematocrit (or whatever it is they measure) had not recovered in two weeks, so I was given a list of iron rich foods to eat and told to come back in a week. Fortunately, I was able to bank the second pint 3 weeks before.

So, it seems it takes me several weeks (if not the full 8 weeks they want between donations) for my red blood cells to recover. I've stopped giving blood although I would do it for a real emergency.

- Ed
Old 05-12-14, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

An autologous blood transfusion. (aka "blood doping"), is drawing your own blood, then re-injecting it either just before a race, or during a multi-day stage race when you need the recovery effect. The intention is *not* to use someone else's blood, but Tyler Hamilton had that happen when either his doctor, (or the doctors assistant), mixed up the blood bags. Depending on the blood types of donor and recipient, it could have been a bad situation.

Another problem Tyler described in his book, is if the blood deteriorates before it is re-used. He became sick as hell from that once.
Old 05-12-14, 03:46 PM

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've regularly given blood and rode the next day to work. Now that's not a long ride but I haven't noticed any impact, nor have I noticed anything on the weekend (blood donations are generally on a Thursday for me). It might not mean anything because if I'm a bit slower than the typical pace I would be unlikely to notice it and chalk it up to another factor (wind, going too fast early, different route etc). I know they say no heavy lifting for 24hrs after but nothing about riding
Old 05-12-14, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to be able to recover within a day or two of donating until I turned 50. After that it now takes me about a week to recover. I don't feel tired but I have trouble catching my breath if my heart rate goes over 80%.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-12-14, 08:13 PM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
An autologous blood transfusion. (aka "blood doping"), is drawing your own blood, then re-injecting it either just before a race, or during a multi-day stage race when you need the recovery effect. The intention is *not* to use someone else's blood, but Tyler Hamilton had that happen when either his doctor, (or the doctors assistant), mixed up the blood bags. Depending on the blood types of donor and recipient, it could have been a bad situation.

Another problem Tyler described in his book, is if the blood deteriorates before it is re-used. He became sick as hell from that once.
The '84 Olympics blood doping scandal involved the use of other people's blood (OPB!).
The slightly-less-crazy technique of blood doping is autologous.
Either way, blood transfusion for fun/sport is completely nuts.

Blood donation, on the other hand, is usually a good thing.
Old 05-12-14, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
The '84 Olympics blood doping scandal involved the use of other people's blood (OPB!).
The slightly-less-crazy technique of blood doping is autologous.
Either way, blood transfusion for fun/sport is completely nuts.

Blood donation, on the other hand, is usually a good thing.
Interesting. It was not against the rules until 1985:
List of doping cases in cycling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-13-14, 06:25 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
I give platelets regularly but not whole blood or plasma. I've had radiation of the pelvis and am prone to anemia but have the ability to give full donations of platelets without a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.