Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

AMGEN Tour of California

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

AMGEN Tour of California

Old 05-13-14, 12:37 PM

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AERO63
Question for everyone...I'm relatively new to the sport of cycling, and also relatively new to watching it on TV. I do enjoy watching it, but do the TT stages aren't exactly exciting action. Do I feel this way because I'm such an inexperienced fan? haha
Do a TT competitive, before you watch one on TV next time. 33mph for Wiggo, I can watch all day long.
Old 05-13-14, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ColnagoC40
Do a TT competitive, before you watch one on TV next time. 33mph for Wiggo, I can watch all day long.
Not me, I'd rather see him get a lifetime ban along with his entire team. It would be befitting since that's what they want anyway, been very vocal about it.

Question for everyone...I'm relatively new to the sport of cycling, and also relatively new to watching it on TV. I do enjoy watching it, but do the TT stages aren't exactly exciting action. Do I feel this way because I'm such an inexperienced fan? haha
Yeah not very exciting to me either.

Last edited by zymphad; 05-13-14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Not me, I'd rather see him get a lifetime ban along with his entire team. It would be befitting since that's what they want anyway, been very vocal about it.
One has to remain realistic about the past, present and the future.

For the present and the future and the love of the sport I choose to remain naive, until someone gets caught.

What is Wiggo saying that offends you so much?

Bradley Wiggins says cycling has cleaned up considerably
Old 05-13-14, 01:14 PM

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Amazingly close finish on the first stage!!

I hope they have a major sale on this years jerseys - my 2010 Best Young Rider jersey is looking a little silly!

Old 05-13-14, 01:18 PM

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
One has to remain realistic about the past, present and the future.

For the present and the future and the love of the sport I choose to remain naive, until someone gets caught.

What is Wiggo saying that offends you so much?

Bradley Wiggins says cycling has cleaned up considerably
His team is demanding any doper in cycling to be dealt lifetime bans. He and his team are most suspect to me. Wiggins offends me because he's losing a ton of weight, yet he shows no signs of sickness or loss in power, rather increasing his power, he can sprint, climb mountains, and his performance is matching up against admitted dopers. Not only that, his jump in performance since 2011 is really weird. I have hard time believing someone his age with supposed superior training and coaching from Team Sky would turn him into a superman. And Froume? He was a nobody three years ago and made the rest of the TdF competitors looks like Cat 5 amateurs.

It's suspect. But not definitive so the above is my opinion. Seems to me Team Sky is continuing USPS Postal legacy. Seeing Wiggins annihilating his competition by 43 seconds in the TT, it sickens me. He demolished 2013's Tour of California's winner and Peter Sagan, the sprinter jersey winner for the last few years of ToC.

It offends me he's even racing.
Old 05-13-14, 01:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His team is demanding any doper in cycling to be dealt lifetime bans. He and his team are most suspect to me. Wiggins offends me because he's losing a ton of weight, yet he shows no signs of sickness or loss in power, rather increasing his power, he can sprint, climb mountains, and his performance is matching up against admitted dopers. Not only that, his jump in performance since 2011 is really weird. I have hard time believing someone his age with supposed superior training and coaching from Team Sky would turn him into a superman. And Froume? He was a nobody three years ago and made the rest of the TdF competitors looks like Cat 5 amateurs.

It's suspect. But not definitive so the above is my opinion. Seems to me Team Sky is continuing USPS Postal legacy. Seeing Wiggins annihilating his competition by 43 seconds in the TT, it sickens me. He demolished 2013's Tour of California's winner and Peter Sagan, the sprinter jersey winner for the last few years of ToC.

It offends me he's even racing.
We will never know for sure, there could be new things, such as Xenon. Unfortunately anyone who is really good at the moment will deal with suspicion.

I'm an older Masters rider, old to racing, but new to racing in the US. Twice now in elite Cat3/4 races I have been tested, because the younger riders who got dropped somewhere complained.
Old 05-13-14, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia, 1981 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been watching pro cycling for a few years now...the TTs are always boring to me.
Old 05-13-14, 01:45 PM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can't stand the constant freeze frame from the motorcycle cameras.
Old 05-13-14, 02:07 PM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix - 1998 CAAD3 R500 - 2012 Demo 8 Carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by THSdrummer
Anyone there, feel free to pick me up a Rapha Tour of California cap

I would really pay for the cap/shipping* + a slight extra. I would really like 7 or 8's cap, but 1 and 3 look good IMO. Not a fan of 2 or 6 (and I haven't seen 4, or 5).

I get off work at 5 today. Live coverage is from 4-6 here in the Midwest. Looking forward to getting off work and watching the stage finish! I'll have 6 hours to debate who is going to take today's stage while at work today.

*Unless they are $40+ a pop. I could get wicked vintage caps off of eBay for that.... But 7 and 8 do look good....

No promises, but I may be able to get you a stage 7 cap.
Old 05-13-14, 02:43 PM

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Twice now in elite Cat3/4 races I have been tested, because the younger riders who got dropped somewhere complained.
Hah! That sounds awesome. It's practically a prize in itself to have the youngsters complaining.

Originally Posted by THSdrummer
Anyone there, feel free to pick me up a Rapha Tour of California cap
I would really pay for the cap/shipping* + a slight extra. I would really like 7 or 8's cap
I could possibly hook you up for 8. What's the deal with these caps? I'm not familiar... should I be wanting one as well?

Update: Looks like they're $25 a piece and sold out of Rapha's traveling coffee trailer which is setup at each stage out on course (or in the rider parking lot). I'll be at stage 5 and 8 and, since I've been thinking of buying a cap like this to possibly combat a sweat-in-the-eyes issue I've been fighting.. well, I think I'll buy at least one, so I could pickup one for you as well if you'd like.

Last edited by goenrdoug; 05-13-14 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Not my fault Comcast/NBC hates me.
Phil and Paul are blabbering idiots anyway.. Watch the Eurosport stream online. apparently phil/paul were trying to hype up Taylor yesterday only to watch him get his ass handed to him haha
Old 05-13-14, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've ridden a few TT's this year so far, a weekly racing series here locally runs 2 crits and 1 TT per week in the evenings. They are fun enough to ride and 33 mph is amazing, but I can't yet see the excitement in watching the TT stages. Maybe I'll learn to like watching them.
Try reading or doing something else at the same time
Old 05-13-14, 03:35 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You can watch a TT for hours, but you can only watch a stage for about ten seconds.

Watching the chopper following Wiggins swoop into the canyon beneath the bridge was a lot of fun.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-13-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 04:08 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...the breakaway just hit the climb for Mount Diablo in today's stage https://tourtracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/
Old 05-13-14, 05:58 PM

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stage 3 cap would be nice if anyone has an extra! The bill is nice, and the Mt. Diablo on the side is cool.

Originally Posted by EnsitMike
No promises, but I may be able to get you a stage 7 cap.
That'd be incredible!

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
I could possibly hook you up for 8. What's the deal with these caps? I'm not familiar... should I be wanting one as well?

Update: Looks like they're $25 a piece and sold out of Rapha's traveling coffee trailer which is setup at each stage out on course (or in the rider parking lot). I'll be at stage 5 and 8 and, since I've been thinking of buying a cap like this to possibly combat a sweat-in-the-eyes issue I've been fighting.. well, I think I'll buy at least one, so I could pickup one for you as well if you'd like.
I'd really enjoy that. I was going to tell you where you can get them. If memory serves, stage 5 might be one of the stages they won't be at the start, but rather on the course. I'd really like to have stage 8's cap though. At $25, they are not to bad. Typical Rapha cap pricing is about $45 - I think - so $25+shipping and reward is do-able. I think their retro look is worth the price. Certainly more tasteful than most caps on the market today IMHO.

Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Phil and Paul are blabbering idiots anyway.. Watch the Eurosport stream online. apparently phil/paul were trying to hype up Taylor yesterday only to watch him get his ass handed to him haha
Haha, that's pretty much exactly what happened. I watch the NBC coverage live (or have been), but I download the EuroSport coverage from Cyclingtorrents. What really sets me off about the NBC coverage is the cycling:commercials ratio is about 1:1.
Old 05-13-14, 06:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We will never know for sure, there could be new things, such as Xenon. Unfortunately anyone who is really good at the moment will deal with suspicion.

I'm an older Masters rider, old to racing, but new to racing in the US. Twice now in elite Cat3/4 races I have been tested, because the younger riders who got dropped somewhere complained.
I was also going to say Xenon. His big increase in performance should be looked at suspiciously in a sport plagued with doping.

"In 2012, Wiggins won the Paris–Nice, the Tour de Romandie, the Critérium du Dauphiné, and the Tour de France and the time trial at the Olympic Games, and Tour of Britain in 2013."
So in one year he does all that, what did he win before that? Not much.
Old 05-13-14, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does every thread have to turn into a doping discussion?
Old 05-13-14, 08:36 PM

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I wanted to go to Diablo, but didn't get out of work in time... so watched them go by as they made the turn to Camino Tass from highland....they were really moving at a good pace.
Old 05-13-14, 08:39 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
NBC Sports is supposed to show Stage 3 now, but it's showing NHL for some reason.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-13-14, 08:40 PM

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
NBC Sports is supposed to show Stage 3 now, but it's showing NHL for some reason.
That's making me mad. Also, 1 hour coverage for a 5hr stage!?!
Old 05-13-14, 08:42 PM
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by lsberrios1
That's making me mad. Also, 1 hour coverage for a 5hr stage!?!
I know! Well it would at least be better than nothing if they were true to the program guide!

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-13-14, 08:53 PM
Just a person on bike

The coverage has finally begun...

Old 05-13-14, 08:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time watching the Tour of Ca. It's kinda touched me with all the anticancer advertising since my dad got diagnosed about a month back. I feel like I need to watch it! It's a weird feeling. It's got two of the things that affect me most in life, cycling and anti cancer stuff..

Whoa, what a post.
Old 05-13-14, 09:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it me or the image is constantly jumping and lagging?
Old 05-13-14, 09:15 PM
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Is it me or the image is constantly jumping and lagging?
The quality of the camera is horrible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.