Search
Notices
Western Canada Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | Northwest Territories | Nunavut | Saskatchewan | Yukon Territory

Sooke

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sooke

Heading to Victoria this summer for a week of riding with my family. Going to stay in Victoria and branch out from there. I have heard some good things about Sooke. Is it possible to ride from downtown Victoria to Sooke? If anybody has good directions, i would love to get them. We are taking the Clipper from Seattle, so no car. Any other routes would also be greatly apprectiated. Thanks All.
Old 05-22-14, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do it.

Galloping Goose Trail goes from Victoria to Sooke. I rode from Swartz Bay ferry past sooke on a tandem with wife+2 kids. It was awesome. Riding the hilly/narrow shoulder on the west coast road past sooke is less fun.

Maps and info here:

Galloping Goose trail Vancouver Island
Old 05-22-14, 11:03 PM

Bikes: Scott Speedster S20

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely take the Galloping Goose trail out to Sooke. West Coast Road (the main road to Sooke) is not a place I'd recommend for bikes.

Another scenic ride, branching off from there is the Lochside Trail. It's more or less the same thing, but going out the east coast of the island and onto a peninsula ending more or less at the town of Sidney.

Going around the waterfront is nice too. From where the clipper docks you just hug the water following the hotels and then keep going following the signs that say "Scenic Route".

If your in town on a Sunday, the local MEC (Canada's REI) offers group rides available to the public for free at 9am.
Old 05-23-14, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks All, Looking forward to doing some riding up there. Any other ideas people have would be great. Thanks again for the help.