Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Input for a metric century.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Genesis Croix de Fer 10, Merida SUB 40, Old Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Input for a metric century.

In a month I'm running a metric century in a month time and this is my training plan and some other stuff. Input much appreciated!

I'm decently fit by now, although I've lost a bit of my legs after two weeks of inactivity due to holidays, although I'm recovering fast.

TRAINING PLAN: 4-5 evening rides of 20-30 kilometres a week and a longer one of around 50-60. I've been doing this for a week and a half after the break (I've done this plan since March, though) and no problems of any kind so far.

BIKE.

A single speed, steel racing bike. I'm in Holland, so hills are not in the plan (unless, of course, there's such a massive earthquake that alters the shape of the country, but I rather think that in this case the event would be called off). However, I can borrow a geared Gazelle racing bike (early nineties or late eighties). The thing is, of course, that I could only get it one week before the century, because the owner wants to use it. What would you do? I could be quite comfortable with my bike, but if I get face wind for 50 kilometres (A very serious possibility in this country), I'm pretty much screwed.

CARRIED STUFF.

1) 200 grams of macadamia nuts or similar highly-caloric food. If there are ressupplying points (my command of Dutch is still a bit wobbly, and the information I've got at the moment is very scarce), ignore.
2) Water (500 mL will be enough, I guess. More than enough places to ressupply).
3) ID and European Health card. With any luck there will be lockers at the start/finish so that I can leave any other crap behind.
4) Mobile phone.
5) 14-15 fixed spanner (enough to adjust seat or remove a wheel, should it be the case).
6) Allen spanner.
7) Micro-pump.
8) Spare inner tube.

CLOTHING.

Short, padded tighs and short-sleeved jersey if the weather stays as it is (12-22ºC). Casquette and helmet.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Images

Last edited by pedalsimotxilla; 05-21-14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 11:33 AM
ufa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!
I think you will do fine with the single-speed. A century will last for about 5 hours, so you should calculate your fuel (food) in this time frame.
Here are some good nutrition tips: Ultracycling: Title
I would throw more food to your setup, just in case. Keep eating and drinking, and it will be a bliss
Be sure that you know how to fix a puncture.
Old 05-21-14, 12:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plan looks good, but I have a few adjustments.

Macadamia nuts will do absolutely nothing for you. If you want to bring food, bring carbohydrates.

Personally, I would not be comfortable with only 500 ml of water (that's less than one standard bottle). I try to bring 2 bottles (1200-1400 ml) to supported events and 4 bottles to unsupported rides.

In your list, I see a spare inner tube, but not tire levers. Are they implied? Have you ever changed an inner tube by yourself?

If you can hold up 4-5 hours in a short-sleeved jersey at 12-22 C, you're much more cold-resistant than me. I go long-sleeved below 20 and add a light jacket below 15.
Old 05-21-14, 03:49 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
The food plans also stood out to me. Depending on the conditions, you don't need a lot of food to go 60 miles. However, if there is wind or the course climbs at all you probably want to bring something. That's a 2 banana ride in my book

I wear something on my knees below 20C. I probably would wear a long sleeve jersey and knee warmers for that ride
Old 05-22-14, 05:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, thanks for the advice. Tyre levers were included, just forgot to name them. I have repaired flats enough time to do it consistently. Never with a coaster brake, though, but I assume it's just a matter of unscrewing the bolts and screwing them back when the flat's mended.
Then, more water (I'll buy a litre bottle), and another kind of food, if any. Cookies perhaps?
I think I'll have to get a big saddle bag or carry a small backpack, else I won't be able to carry everything.
Old 05-22-14, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
If its an organized ride, the important thing is the distance between resupply points, you only need to get to the re-supply point (with some margin). Depending on the number of riders, you may get considerable shelter from the wind if you find a group going your pace. Arm warmers or a vest are good options for cool riding because you can tuck them in jersey pockets if you don't need them.
Old 05-24-14, 08:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to let you know. I've rode 75 km today in around 4 hours including a 15 minute break for a snack. With another break (and another snack) I could've easily done 30 km more. Last 30 km were with head wind, so my speed plummeted to a minimum. But hell, this means I'm more fit than what I thought: I must keep training this way!
ETA: I drunk a full litre of water. I could've probably done with less, but better safe than sorry. I dehydrated once and I don't plan experiencing that again!

Last edited by pedalsimotxilla; 05-24-14 at 09:06 AM.