Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California
View Poll Results: Send video to the police?
Yes
89.74%
No
7.69%
Undecided
2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

To rat or not to rat

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 12:29 PM
Flat Ire

Bikes: Trek 1100, DeRosa Idol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To rat or not to rat

Last Saturday I was riding up in the Santa Monica's on a road frequented by cyclists and occasionally by skateboarders screaming down the road. On this day I was grinding uphill and around a blind curve comes a skateboarder cruising downhill. Then a few more, then partially in my lane, an SUV with the person in the passenger seat training a video cam on the boarders. I swerved over to avoid the SUV, which made no attempt to get back into its proper lane. In fact, the driver honked after he passed me, presumably anoied that I was in his way while traveling in my lane.

This careless disregard for safety and the audacity to honk at me of course pi**ed me off. I had my Garmin VIRB video cam with me, but it was off at the time.

After few minutes the SUV is going back uphill with boarders inside. Then few minutes later the boarders came cruising down again and this time I was ready. I switched on my cam and turned around to follow them. I caught the boarders and also the SUV going in the wrong lane. When they stopped I got close enough to get the license of the vehicle and a profile shot of the driver.

At this time I was mad enough that I was determined that I would forward this video the authorities. Well, now I have some reservations. I have never been one to "rat" on someone. But then again, I have never had such stupid inconsiderate disregard for the safety of others.
So I have a poll here, and I'd like to get some community input on this.

It looked like the boarders might have been under 18, and it also looked like the driver of the SUV was old enough to be a parent of one of the boarders. If the authorities decide to act on this, it could mean the driver could be facing contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Not to mention at least one moving violation for driving on the wrong side of the road.

So waddaya think? Am I a rat for wanting to rat on these guys?
Old 05-21-14, 12:47 PM
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it was a blatant disregard for your safety (twice), then why are you considering this as "ratting"? If that person showed no regard for your well-being, why be worried about theirs? They laid their own fate.
Old 05-21-14, 12:55 PM

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Report.
Old 05-21-14, 01:20 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Which agency would you be reporting it to? If LAPD, I'd be amazed if they would do anything. If LASD, I think you have a better chance. Ventura SO, probably your best bet of a follow-up.
Old 05-21-14, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
No. You should keep quiet. You wouldn't want to possibly discourage them from doing it again.
Old 05-21-14, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized Dolce, Motobecane 700HT, Univega Maxima Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rat, baby, rat!
Old 05-21-14, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
post on youtube and publicly disgrace them. I would personally report to authorities but as photo said, they probably will take the report and never do anything more than that. I know several people who work for LAPD and I can tell you that the reality is that they don't want to be bothered. If you call 911 and report gunshots in certain neighborhoods they wont' even respond so your situation won't get much action. Sad but true. Probably the sorriest police department/public service agency in the country
Old 05-21-14, 02:29 PM
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I vote definitely yes, no matter what the agency is. Even if they don't follow up, they have this as evidence in case this guy ends up hurting or killing a cyclist the next time he does it. I can think of several ways that having the footage on file could help LEO deal with potential future events.
Old 05-21-14, 05:04 PM
Flat Ire

Bikes: Trek 1100, DeRosa Idol

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The agency would be the LASD. I'm sending them an email to see if they're interested.
I will update.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-21-14, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
My ould Irish granny used to say "snitches get stitches and wind up in ditches". To which someone else of my acquaintance. would add "swimming with fishes". Or as we say at my place of employment, "no cheese eaters".
Old 05-21-14, 06:13 PM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Eat that Cheese!!
Of course the cops won't do anything-probably give you some "chain of evidence" BS
but RAT AWAY.

Of course post it online- WITH THE LICENSE PLATE PROMINENTLY FEATURED-and the idiot driver too-
If they get SMUSHED by a car-this being online might make them less likely to successful sue someone

POST IT!!
They are future Darwin Award Winners-
Old 05-21-14, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
100% sure they are filming without a permit. They authorities will take that more seriously then almost killing a cyclist
Old 05-21-14, 08:21 PM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
situations like these would seem to be one of the reasons to own/use such a recording device, no?

i know i would feel like hell if i were in your shoes and didn't report it, only to find out some time later that a cyclist/jogger/ped/other auto driver
had been seriously injured or worse due to these ***hats or others doing likewise. it's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured
if they keep it up.
Old 05-21-14, 08:22 PM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by rms13
100% sure they are filming without a permit. They authorities will take that more seriously then almost killing a cyclist
no joke, unfortunately.
Old 05-21-14, 08:24 PM
velo-dilettante

and, if i may ask, what road was it? was planning on heading up there soon.
Old 05-21-14, 11:01 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You know, we get the same behavior from boarders on GMR. I've always been a bit surprised that the drivers (who presumably ride their boards down GMR as well) don't take more care with the other non vehicular users of those roads.

I mean... I rode motorcycles for years, and obviously ride a bike now and I always take extra care around bikes and cycles on the road. I don't get it.

But yeah, might as well call it in and see what happens. It wouldn't take much for a sheriff to call them and explain how the world works, and might even alter their behavior for the better.
Old 05-22-14, 08:40 AM
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
post on youtube and publicly disgrace them. I would personally report to authorities but as photo said, they probably will take the report and never do anything more than that...
+1
Old 05-22-14, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Is there a local TV station you can contact? They might love a story like this complete with video, especially if the cops blow you off. "A special report tonight on STFU News. A motorist and a pack of skateboarders decide to turn a public road into a private movie set, nearly killing a cyclist in the process--and the local police don't seem to care...."

BTW...I doubt they would be issued a permit that would allow them to drive like that on a road open to the public.
Old 05-22-14, 09:24 AM
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
BTW...I doubt they would be issued a permit that would allow them to drive like that on a road open to the public.
Yah, a permitted shoot would have had the road closed with law enforcement presence supporting the shoot. These guys were just idiots.
Old 05-22-14, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VKech
Rat, baby, rat!
+1

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-22-14, 09:45 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
nothing wrong with reporting factually what happened, especially if it can save a life, maybe your own. there's got to be a safer way for the boarders and friend or parent to have fun and tape it too.
Old 05-22-14, 10:13 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I say it depends on how bad the behavior is. In the case you described, definitely.
Old 05-24-14, 07:15 AM
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,440 Times in 990 Posts
Rat 'em out; 'hang 'em high'. There's a safety aspect for both bicycles and vehicles using the road. You don't mention where this was, so you're going to have to find out who has jurisdiction - a city, the county, the state, or the feds (SMM Natl Recreation area), and report it to them. And did it look like they might be doing a professional filming gig? That usually requries permits, which cost $$$$, and knowing how tight govt agencies are for money, the local jurisdiction will probably go after them for any fees they were supposed to pay.
Old 05-24-14, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you would like to avoid the experience of being run over on your next ride, send it in. Quickly
Old 05-24-14, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please report it. Even if the police don't act on your report they will have it on record if something happens in the future. The doctor who was convicted of slamming on his brakes in front of cyclists had evidence of previous reports of similar behavior used against him.

Forum Guidelines *click here*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.