Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How important is bike safety to you?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all forum members!

I'm part of a marketing class from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, California. Our group is currently conducting a short survey about bike safety and we are very interested in YOUR opinion! When you complete the survey you can enter your email-address and have a chance to win a 20 dollar gift card from Target. If you win, we will contact you and send the gift card to your doorstep!

Survey Link: Removed by Mod.

Thank you for helping us and if you have any questions feel free to write me a PM and I'll gladly answer any questions you might have!

Last edited by no1mad; 05-21-14 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-21-14, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
This forum is probably not the target demo for this wacky system.
Old 05-21-14, 05:50 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,421 Posts
I gather that you have some kind on anti-lock brake. Hopefully it's not something that simply weakens or nullifies the front brake.

IMO anti lock brakes for bicycles are possible, but it's more complex than for cars because front wheel skid is not usually possible on a bicycle. That means a system that can detect an incipient header (endo) and relax the front brake slightly. It's possible and if done right might have a market.

OTOH- the human brain does a decent job with a short amount of training, and experienced cyclists aren't worried about that. So it might be marketable to newbies, but for the most part it addresses a worry they probably don't have (they don' know enough).

IMO- this is another treatment for RLS (restless leg syndrome, by analogy, a problem that doesn't really exist)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-21-14, 06:08 PM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by SLObicycle
Hello all forum members!

I'm part of a marketing class from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, California. Our group is currently conducting a short survey about bike safety and we are very interested in YOUR opinion! When you complete the survey you can enter your email-address and have a chance to win a 20 dollar gift card from Target. If you win, we will contact you and send the gift card to your doorstep!

Survey Link: Removed by Mod

Thank you for helping us and if you have any questions feel free to write me a PM and I'll gladly answer any questions you might have!
Another answer to the question that no one asked.
Stupid needless complexity to a skill well learned in childhood.
Over educated morons in search of an engineering challenge well designed a century ago.

Move along, nothing to see here.

-Bandera

Last edited by no1mad; 05-21-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-21-14, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Another answer to the question that no one asked.
Stupid needless complexity to a skill well learned in childhood.
Over educated morons in search of an engineering challenge well designed a century ago.

Move along, nothing to see here.

-Bandera
To be fair, there are always challenges - however tiny - to overcome. There will be a ton of misses, though it'll be wrong to discourage innovation, no matter how minuscule.

When 10,000 stupid questions are being asked, there's always a chance one will lead to a brilliant answer.
Old 05-21-14, 06:48 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
@OP- we got a forum set aside for surveys- Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback and you'll find the requirements to post yours in the second sticky thread.
Old 05-21-14, 06:54 PM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
To be fair, there are always challenges - however tiny - to overcome. There will be a ton of misses, though it'll be wrong to discourage innovation, no matter how minuscule.
There's a Hallmark for 2014:What miniscule & tiny challenge can we test ourselves against and aim very low?.

Try 1962 for a comparison of Vision:

""Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation may never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

-JFK

BTW: We got that done.
Get on to Mars, not trivial bike tech that was engineered well enough a century ago or resign engineering for knitting.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 05-21-14 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Mars
Old 05-21-14, 07:39 PM

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
There's a Hallmark for 2014:What miniscule & tiny challenge can we test ourselves against and aim very low?.

Try 1962 for a comparison of Vision:

""Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation may never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

-JFK

BTW: We got that done.
Get on to Mars, not trivial bike tech that was engineered well enough a century ago or resign engineering for knitting.

-Bandera
All very poetic and such, but not all of us have the money, brains, time, resources, yada yada to cure cancer, wipe out poverty and hunger and hate, etc.

Yes it'll be infinitely cool to perfect the cure for AIDS, but we'll leave that to the brilliant scientists toiling in billion-dollar labs. The rest of us less-than-perfect humans have to find less challenging tasks to occupy ourselves, and that has resulted in La-Z-boys (omg chairs have been perfected thousands of years before, how dare they???), bromptons (omg bicycles have been around and largely unchanged for several centuries, what the heck??), and so on.
Old 07-21-14, 04:28 AM
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bicycle safety is my #1 consideration anytime I am on the saddle. If I get hurt, I can't ride. If my bike is damaged, I can't ride. Since my bicycles are my transportation, if I can't ride, I can't go anywhere...to the grocery store, to the VA Clinic, etc.... If I injure someone else, or damage their property, it will cost me money, and severe emotional trauma, which I already have enough of, as an inactive Marine combat veteran. As far as I am concerned, an ounce of prevention is worth tons of cure.......

What I don't understand is why it is such an issue. It shouldn't take a genius to figure out what is safe, and what is not. OK..the helmet thing may have a little room for debate, but things like obeying traffic laws, avoiding heavy traffic areas when possible, not running red lights, stay off of sidewalks...these are all no-brainers. And you should always plan your routes ahead of time, unless you are just staying local and know the roads and traffic patterns extremely well. Instead of better software, better roads, better bikes, it seems to me what we really need is better riders. That would be a whole lot cheaper.......
Old 07-21-14, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
...IMO anti lock brakes for bicycles are possible, but it's more complex than for cars because front wheel skid is not usually possible on a bicycle. That means a system that can detect an incipient header (endo) and relax the front brake slightly. It's possible and if done right might have a market....
It's been well worked out for motorcycles such that it's common as part of a traction control system on the highest performance motorcycles and road race motorcycles.
Old 07-22-14, 02:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
It's been well worked out for motorcycles such that it's common as part of a traction control system on the highest performance motorcycles and road race motorcycles.
On one hand, no one will want the extra cost/weight for a cheap bike. On the other extreme, no one will want the extra weight (even 400g is still 5% added weight on an 8kg bike) on their high-end bikes.

Especially since most of us will encounter such a situation only 0.1% of the time, if ever.

Cycling is risky - we get it - I just hate all the fear-mongering in the name of profit.