Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cycling ruining your running form/pace

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 02:35 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I could put this in the Tri forum but does not get as much business. I have ask this before in different way but will try again. I come from a 35 year running background and I am still a runner over cycling but the last 5 years averaging a bit over 4000 miles a year as a took up cycling more serious. At first my it helped my running but now I think it is really hurt it. My endurance if great resting heart rate still 40-44 can run but really it feels awkward now and my stride never seems smooth. I just fight trying to maintain form. Up until 2 years ago my usually running pace for training was 8:30-8:50 and if tired 9 minutes for maybe 7 mile daily run. Now I am training and have trouble keeping a 9:00-9:30 pace. I trying even do surges and pick ups and if I am lucky I can run maybe 8:15 mile tops. The crazy thing is I can easily go out and run a 10 mile run distance is not problem.

I realize I am a do over train but keeps the weight off but I seem to have lost any speed I ever had, which was not much but this running 9:15 to 9:45 miles is terrible. At 53 I way past my best days but I seem to be slowing down faster than others. At this point I think it is completely the bike. Do any of you have experience with this transition from running to cycling? Any roadies who did/do both and have feedback on this? I google stuff and do not get much. Most will say cycling is good for running to a point...........but maybe I have past that. Finally I may very well be better at cycling than running. I am no racer but I can manage a solo century in flat Illinois in close to 5 hours on a good day ( 19 mph 5:15). I wonder if I trained the cycling legs too well. At this point I love ride more than running but runner just take less time and you can do it year around. I do ride year around and outside in the cold but cycling is less in Dec, Jan, Feb. The less cycling these months does not seem to cause my running lets to snap back either. I wonder at this point if I have built up enough cycling legs riding maybe only 1 ride a week keeps them going. I hope someone has insight on this I cannot find much.
Old 05-26-14, 08:08 AM
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
I run + cycle, so I'll throw out my two cents -- and I don't claim to be an expert. First, though, what's your running/cycling schedule like for a typical week?

If you're losing speed, then you need to start training for speed (which means you'll need to decrease your endurance training to compensate). So replacing one or two of your long distance runs with shorter, but faster, interval runs may get you back to the pace you want.

The only time cycling AND running has ever hurt my form (for either sport) was when over-training. You have to be deliberate in scheduling adequate recovery time when you're doing multiple disciplines.
Old 05-26-14, 08:17 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Wrong question. Question should be is running ruining your cycling.
Old 05-26-14, 08:25 AM

Bikes: 2014 TREK Madone 7 Series Project One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, exactly^
Old 05-26-14, 10:54 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Having broken my ankle playing football in college and told it was a "sprained ankle" because the coaches didn't want me sidelined I can't run. So, cycling became my salvation. Probably saved my knees. Sometimes things work out. Bottom line...I have no running form.
Old 05-26-14, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are probably just getting old. Also biking doesn't translate much to running, so if you dropped a couple of runs a week to ride instead, you'll hurt your running. Lance Armstrong was running 86 minute half marathons at the end of a triathlon before he got banned.
Old 05-26-14, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO there could be a couple of things going on. You haven't really said what you're running or training is for, half-full marathon or 5-10k as this could make a big difference and the distances you are currently riding on your bike when you ride. I run and ride but they have completely different effects on my body. As for cycling helping my running definitely not but running has definitely helped my cycling.

The biggest thing I notice is the number of calories I can burn on my bike as compared to running. If you are riding more you are probably burning a lot more and this can really effect your running. You really need to increase your calorie intake (carbohydrates) if you are both riding and running.

I do think it's all about calorie intake. I can usually burn about 1200 or so calories when I run half marathons, but can burn upwards of 1600 or more calories on a 40-45 mile ride which can easily be done every weekend. Could you imagine trying to run a half marathon at race pace every weekend? I think your slower pace is directly related to the number of calories you are burning and the number of calories you are getting.

I'm 53 and so far my fastest half marathon was this last year at a 1:48:29 and I think I can run faster. But riding as much as I do I really need to be aware of how much I eat what I eat and when I eat, if I want to run faster. Because with me it directly relates to how well I can run and it really effects my pace.
Old 05-26-14, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Thanks that could be it to point. I am not training for anything I just am an endurance person. My marathon PR is 3:06 and 38:07 for a 10k but that was 22 years ago. I wonder if cycling does wipe the calories. Running as basically 110 calories a mile. Cycling is much harder to gage. I know I can ride 60 easy on no food but if I go hard I feel I have burned way more that running even 10 miles. My weight is actually about what it always has been 173-178 pounds at 6"2. Ran a 3:09 marathon at 180 but 23 years younger
Old 05-26-14, 07:57 PM
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
If you're not training for anything you probably won't do the pre-race taper and rest following the race. Instead of training continuously months on end, take a solid break at least every 6-8 weeks. It prevents burnout and few people can just keep going like that forever.