Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Crossing major Highway

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Crossing major Highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crossing major Highway

Recently I observed an organized ride traveling east on 126th St N. the route they used crossed Highway 75.. This is major traffic 4 lanes traveling 65mph +. The route could have turned north to 116th and used the new overpass not having to cross traffic... This is not an isolated incident I see riders doing this all to often. Most of use ride for a lot of reasons and a detour of a couple of miles is really no big deal and a WHOLE lot safer.. I would hope anyone reading this will pass this information on to fellow riders, club members etc..
Old 05-25-14, 03:16 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeskiatook
Recently I observed an organized ride traveling east on 126th St N. the route they used crossed Highway 75.. This is major traffic 4 lanes traveling 65mph +. The route could have turned north to 116th and used the new overpass not having to cross traffic... This is not an isolated incident I see riders doing this all to often. Most of use ride for a lot of reasons and a detour of a couple of miles is really no big deal and a WHOLE lot safer.. I would hope anyone reading this will pass this information on to fellow riders, club members etc..
If you ask me, I believe it should be left to the rider's judgment, assuming it is legal to cross Highway 75 on 126th St N. If I was there and felt that taking a detour of a couple of miles would be worthwhile, I would do so. OTOH, if I felt I could cross the highway without too much risk, I wouldn't hesitate to do that.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-25-14, 06:18 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
IMO rules are different for individuals and small groups of cyclists, than for larger groups and/organized cast of thousands rides.

Individuals can use their street smarts and cross safely (otherwise there wouldn't be an intersection), and small group dynamics usually allow some cooperation so folks don't blindly follow the leader through narrow gaps.

OTOH large group dynamics are very different and follow the leader (aka devil take the hindmost) mentality has folks crossing long after the gap is closed. There's a local pickup ride here with the very bad habit of following the leader through intersections, and they have a long history of riders paying the consequences.

Years ago I witnessed an accident, where a crossing car (with the light) slammed on the brakes to avoid t-boning a rider, but knocked him down anyway, then the car getting broadsided by 2 more riders not able to stop.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-25-14, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
On the off chance that the OP is paying attention to this thread, it would help if some indication of city/state/country were given of where this transgression occurred. And contacting the organization that sponsored the ride would be more likely to have results than posting here.

If this is where I think it is (Tulsa, OK), the overpass is pretty new and the ride organizers may not have been aware that it was open yet. And depending on the day and time, the at-grade crossing at 126th doesn't look particularly risky with good sightlines, an island in the middle (so only need to cross 2 lanes at a time), and usually light traffic levels.

Last edited by prathmann; 05-25-14 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-25-14, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeskiatook
Were they crossing against the lights? With the lights?

Were they crossing through 65mph+ traffic?

Would the 2 mile detour have led to them going through a road network which was safer for such a ride?

I'm afraid that you provide nowhere near enough information for us to even begin to judge whether or not your judgement is correct, let alone pass on your advice to anyone else.
Old 05-25-14, 07:02 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by prathmann
On the off chance that the OP is paying attention to this thread, it would help if some indication of city/state/country were given of where this transgression occurred. And contacting the organization that sponsored the ride would be more likely to have results than posting here.

If this is where I think it is (Tulsa, OK), the overpass is pretty new and the ride organizers may not have been aware that it was open yet. And depending on the day and time, the at-grade crossing at 126th doesn't look particularly risky with good sightlines, an island in the middle (so only need to cross 2 lanes at a time), and usually light traffic levels.
Yes I found the same intersection by searching the rough description. This may be the only case of that mix. but as you point out it's in OK, and the OP is in Seattle.

Specifics really help in road issue posts.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-25-14, 07:06 PM
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes I found the same intersection by searching the rough description. This may be the only case of that mix. but as you point out it's in OK, and the OP is in Seattle.

Specifics really help in road issue posts.
How did you figure that the OP is in Seattle? I'm asking because you may have seen my reply and somehow considered me the OP. As far as I can tell, there is no "126th St N" in or near Seattle.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-25-14, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by daihard
How did you figure that the OP is in Seattle? I'm asking because you may have seen my reply and somehow considered me the OP. As far as I can tell, there is no "126th St N" in or near Seattle.
Yes, when I scrolled back, I stopped one short.

But it would have been nice if the OP was a bit more specific.

Old 05-25-14, 07:53 PM
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, when I scrolled back, I stopped one short.

But it would have been nice if the OP was a bit more specific.
Agreed.

Old 05-25-14, 07:55 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Would have been nice if the OP would not try and tell other cyclists how and where to ride.
Old 05-25-14, 08:00 PM
Cycle Year Round

Plus, I question if a 50 mph overpass with merging and exiting traffic really is any safer.
Old 05-25-14, 08:09 PM
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by CB HI
Plus, I question if a 50 mph overpass with merging and exiting traffic really is any safer.
It would have been nice if the OP had given us more specifics about the overpass. Some don't have on/off ramps; others are major arterial passes with constant merging and exiting traffic.

Old 05-25-14, 08:25 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman
Were they crossing against the lights? With the lights?

Were they crossing through 65mph+ traffic?

Would the 2 mile detour have led to them going through a road network which was safer for such a ride?

I'm afraid that you provide nowhere near enough information for us to even begin to judge whether or not your judgement is correct, let alone pass on your advice to anyone else.
I'm not the OP, but live in NE OK. Though it has been awhile since I've been on that stretch of road, US 75 is a wide, divided 4 lane with wide shoulders and that section is relatively flat and straight. An experienced cyclist or group could handle it with a bit of patience. There were no lights the last time I was up that way.

Hold on... the description is a bit off. 126th is north of 116th, so they couldn't turn north towards 116th.
Old 05-25-14, 08:26 PM
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by daihard
It would have been nice if the OP had given us more specifics about the overpass. Some don't have on/off ramps; others are major arterial passes with constant merging and exiting traffic.
If Tulsa, OK is the location, it does have the at speed roadway exit and merges. Tulsa, OK seems to fit, as maps show at design like overpass while the older street view just shows a crossing at 116th.
Old 05-27-14, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Common type of post when posters, for some reason, think they're posting on a local forum and use street and highway names as if the readers know what they're talking about.
Old 05-27-14, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Now you have me thinking. Thinking about one overpass near me. Horrible merge situations when riding. But most important places where you have to KNOW which lane to be in at one point, not to figure it out from some directions.

Not something I'd like to follow a route slip through and something I'd even like trying to write the route slip for even less.