Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

March 2015 race preparation - what would you do?

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Goal = Best possible performance for a 6 day 100mile - 130mile per day stage race starting March 1st 2015. (overseas)

Current status = Currently in race form, Cat 4 Masters 60+ after long layoff. Stagnating, getting tired, training started August 2013. Finishes are mid pack cat 4, first 10-20 Masters. No wins so far.

Progress since November = +- 30 watts FTP gain. ( Was aiming at 50 watt gain, did not happen)

Weakness = Low FTP, or threshold power, lack of muscular endurance. Looking for (may be unrealistic - don't know) 50 watt FTP gain by March next year. Cardiovascular = excellent, my legs suck though, get lactic acid build-up way before I get my heart rate high.

This is the plan:

End season now, although it would have been nice to race a bit longer.

1.) Immediately weights in the gym, legs mainly with a proper weight program 3 times a week evening and 3 times high cadence interval indoor spinning 30 minutes only early following morning. June, July, August. (Trying to get my legs back)

2.) September, start new base and work through base 1, 2, 3 build 1, 2, then peak end February. Base 3 will be loooong miles. (Weight training will stop after base 1)

PS1. Winter training weather in NC is not bad, but I have put in many hours on a Cycleops 420 with Virtual Training before, if there is bad weather.

PS2. Raced pro overseas 1978,1979, 1980 stopped riding totally in 1999. Not new to this, but finding it hard to get back after so many years away. The lungs and heart are back, but totally lost my legs. Getting them back at 60 years old, maybe, maybe not? (Zip juice is tempting as everyone that I knew at pro level back then (late 70's) used it at some point or another. Not an option at this stage though, as 1st objective is maintaining excellent health with no medication/supplements whatsoever and 2nd objective is being competitive.)

PS3. The difference now compared to more than 30 years ago: 30 years ago riding several years, from juvenile - junior - senior - pro - masters. Today = old man trying to get into shape fast, as every day is a gift. :-) In short, circumstances now are totally different to 30 years ago, so this is a new experience.
Old 06-06-14, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should hack all of your Strava posts to reflect a 100w FTP gain and nothing but wins in your races. Sit around eating Bon bons and watch your competitors squirm.

Pick a logical end to this season and shoot for best results. Take a few weeks off and just ride. Watch the TSS. Then start base early. Once you start base, back off on the weights. It's a fine line. I would also encourage you to race up as much as you can, doing two races per day if possible. Racing at the limits is great training.

And stay away from the dope.
Old 06-06-14, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I think you should hack all of your Strava posts to reflect a 100w FTP gain and nothing but wins in your races. Sit around eating Bon bons and watch your competitors squirm.

Pick a logical end to this season and shoot for best results. Take a few weeks off and just ride. Watch the TSS. Then start base early. Once you start base, back off on the weights. It's a fine line. I would also encourage you to race up as much as you can, doing two races per day if possible. Racing at the limits is great training.

And stay away from the dope.
Thx for the advice, that makes sense. Racing hurts the old body, at some point I'm never sure if every weekend, it breaks down performance or helps. Probably just need a slow week right now.

Send me your Strava KOM, lets see if I can still do it.
Old 06-06-14, 12:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea whether I hold any Strava KOM's nor do I care.

By racing up, I mean racing your category in a mixed field with higher category riders, and/or racing in a younger age group.

Start creating a high level plan.
Old 06-06-14, 05:59 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Is this the stage race in South Africa? I have a racing friend my age (65) who did it two years ago.
Old 06-07-14, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's my $0.02, which is worth what you paid for it: nothing.

Get a coach. If not to work with you (best case), then at least to review your plan.

It sounds like you might be overtraining now, do you take rest weeks? Take one. Make sure you get enough recovery during training weeks, and make sure you take a rest week every 3-4 weeks.

Somewhere in there, probably before you start base in Sept, you're going to need a full break. Like 2 weeks absolutely nothing.

The rest of it sounds good but somewhere in there, you should take at least one, preferably 2 (separate) week-long training camp blocks - with race-volume rides 6 days in a row, including some high intensity riding in there. You need to train for multiple back to back hard days.

Can you go live in Tucson in Jan/Feb? That's what I would do if it was an option.
Old 06-07-14, 06:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coach valygrl impresses me.
Old 06-07-14, 09:38 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Me too!
Old 06-07-14, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Old 06-08-14, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by ColnagoC40
Goal = Best possible performance for a 6 day 100mile - 130mile per day stage race starting March 1st 2015. (overseas)
That's some serious mileage for 60+ category !!

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-10-14, 08:28 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second the "get a coach" if there is any way you can afford one. Nothing else would come close to having the same results. There are many qualified coaches. When it comes to prepping a talented master for a specific event, you'll have to look really hard to find anyone who can match Racer Ex's palmares in that regard. Not all the championship jerseys in his closet are his - some are from athletes he coaches. Stage races are a particular strength of his: prep, tactics, skills, etc. I mention this because I know he won't, being the under-the-radar kind of coach. But he still doesn't offer a platinum plan.

My other advice is to give similar thought and research to the nutrition side of things. Huge impact, particularly for a long stage race, and an area that most athletes neglect, leaving it more or less to chance as to whether they get it right or not. Nutrition can be a competitive weapon.
Old 06-11-14, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx all for the input, appreciated.
Old 07-22-14, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump.. Update on training results and coach decision ?