Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Shimano XT hubs?

Old 06-12-14, 07:53 PM

Bikes: 2014 Salsa Vaya 2, 2013 Trek Stache 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano XT hubs?

My Vaya uses 135mm spacing and has 6 bolt discs. I'm starting to plan and gear up for my first ever wheel build. I'm thinking Shimano XT hubs and I'm currently contemplating either 36h Velocity Dyad or Chukker wheels.

Any feedback on these hubs for bigger guys? I'm just looking for something durable but inexpensive. Most of my riding is on smooth pavement with the occasional dirt road and riding off a curb or two. I'm 340# currently.

Would love input on the Dyad vs Chukker or others as well.
Old 06-12-14, 08:34 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by gearhead82
My Vaya uses 135mm spacing and has 6 bolt discs. I'm starting to plan and gear up for my first ever wheel build. I'm thinking Shimano XT hubs and I'm currently contemplating either 36h Velocity Dyad or Chukker wheels.

Any feedback on these hubs for bigger guys? I'm just looking for something durable but inexpensive. Most of my riding is on smooth pavement with the occasional dirt road and riding off a curb or two. I'm 340# currently.

Would love input on the Dyad vs Chukker or others as well.
I built a set of wheels this winter with the same hubs, haven't tried them yet. I have too much cycling stuff but I use the velocity fusion rims 36 holes, the wheels went together nicely. I got these for my existing touring bike and for a future touring build with disk brakes. I currently don't use disk brakes

I don't think you will have a problem but I am also #235 . I think these are a good choice for price. I found them on sale for a good price.
Old 06-13-14, 02:17 AM
[IMG]https://i4.photobucke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Xt hubs are perfect for you, I researched quite a bit for a touring set up and they are highly recommended for heavier load and clyde weights.

Last edited by jeepseahawk; 06-13-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-13-14, 02:27 AM

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 20" wheel on the front of my cargo bike. 36H XT hub with disc brakes, but it's only a 20" wheel (look at my avatar). The rim is double walled and has a tall profile. It sometimes carry on the high side of 300lbs with me included. And although a 20" wheel is stronger than, say, a 26" wheel all else equal, I don't think you can go too wrong with choosing an XT hub. I didn't mention my rear hub, because that is an Alfine 11s internal gear hub - which also works fine, but aren't XT (although I think the 11s Alfine is comparable to an XT hub). It too is 36H with the same rim, spokes, and nipples as the front, only in a 26" version.
Old 06-13-14, 08:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just ordered the XT rear hub on Amazon. Seems like a really good value!
Old 06-13-14, 08:47 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just as additional validation... I had a set of 26" wheels built with Aeroheat rims and the builder suggested XT hubs for my high weight (which I had him use).

As far as the rims, I have a set of factory wheels with Chukker rims on my 7.3 FX that I ordered from Ebay, and after about 100 miles I discovered there was an issue with one spoke's tension so I had the tension checked and adjusted (everything was fine except the one spoke). The wheel rolled true, even with the one very loose spoke (I could spin the nipple by hand)... so I am a fan of the Chukker rim. I noticed the noise at least 4 or 5 times at the starts of rides before I remembered to check the rear wheel after the ride, so I probably put over 80 miles on the wheel after first noticing the noise... with over 340 pounds of rider, plus a trunk bag full of supplies.

The one thing I noticed is that the Aeroheat (basically a 26" Dyad) I used veloplugs, and all was good, but for some reason on the Chukker, the holes varied in size just enough that some of the veloplugs stayed in, and others fell out... the LBS owner said he had the same issue, so if you are considering using veloplugs, be prepared to use a rim strip as a failover plan. I don't know if it is an issue with the Chukker, or just an occasional issue with Velocity wheels in general.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-13-14, 02:42 PM
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 86 Posts
I have XT hubs on my commuter, and they've held up quite well. I bid carefully for them offa eBay.
Old 06-13-14, 04:23 PM
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I swim in the shallow end of the pool. I like hubs that make a lot of noise when you coast
Old 06-13-14, 08:24 PM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
coming from a MTB background I know a number of strong clyd MTBers that have completely trashed the freehub internals of them... but I think that has a lot to do with the massive amounts of torque and abuse that can be applied in certain technical MTB riding situations.

when looking for a wheel built for my touring bike I asked and looked around at veteran touring riders, the XT is the budget standard hub for touring...I had universal cycles build mine... 36h velocity chukkers, M756 XT hubs, DT db spokes (tried for triple butted but they didn't have em in my length), and brass nipples.

at 300# plus a 35lb bike plus another 35lb load I wanted a beefy rear wheel... run it with a 700x42 tire... its heavy but I would be confident in riding across the country on it... when I get around to building my front wheel it will be a dyad 36h and a matching XT hub.

Old 06-13-14, 08:36 PM
just pedal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
The one thing I noticed is that the Aeroheat (basically a 26" Dyad) I used veloplugs, and all was good, but for some reason on the Chukker, the holes varied in size just enough that some of the veloplugs stayed in, and others fell out... the LBS owner said he had the same issue, so if you are considering using veloplugs, be prepared to use a rim strip as a failover plan. I don't know if it is an issue with the Chukker, or just an occasional issue with Velocity wheels in general.
on my chukker I tried the red veloplugs and don't think a single one stuck in, sent the plugs back and went with some MTB sette rim tape from pricepoint.
Old 06-13-14, 08:43 PM
just pedal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbeasley
I swim in the shallow end of the pool. I like hubs that make a lot of noise when you coast
YES *nods* had hope hubs on my old MTB, nice and buzzy, my DT 240s have a good bit of buzz also... always wanted the screaming bees of a chris king along with the fast engagement (big deal on MTB, not so much IMHO on the road... at least for how I ride)
Old 06-13-14, 09:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donalson
coming from a MTB background I know a number of strong clyd MTBers that have completely trashed the freehub internals of them... but I think that has a lot to do with the massive amounts of torque and abuse that can be applied in certain technical MTB riding situations.

when looking for a wheel built for my touring bike I asked and looked around at veteran touring riders, the XT is the budget standard hub for touring...I had universal cycles build mine... 36h velocity chukkers, M756 XT hubs, DT db spokes (tried for triple butted but they didn't have em in my length), and brass nipples.

at 300# plus a 35lb bike plus another 35lb load I wanted a beefy rear wheel... run it with a 700x42 tire... its heavy but I would be confident in riding across the country on it... when I get around to building my front wheel it will be a dyad 36h and a matching XT hub.

Great info! I like the idea of running the Chukker on the back and Dyad in front.
Old 06-15-14, 06:37 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I have a set of XT hubs that I laced to some Velocity Deep V's for my Trek 7300 back in 2007~ish....and they are still going strong. I just replaced the grease in the them every so often and they continue to spin like they should. As far as the Veloplugs, love them, just make sure you get the correct size, plug. I believe the yellow plugs are 9.2mm or 9.3mm and the Reds are 8.5mm, but in any event, the Yellows are larger, so you will need to measure your spoke holes. I've use them on non-Velocity wheels as well.

Old 06-15-14, 09:06 PM

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have LX hubs from 2001 on my MTB. Keep them properly adjusted and fresh grease now and then and they have held up fine!

XT will be just as good, but lighter
Old 06-15-14, 09:27 PM

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh around 215 lbs. and I also routinely carry 20+ lbs. of tools/clothes/food/etc. XT hubs came with the stock wheels on my 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker. After some minor adjustment to the spoke tension on the rear wheel at the LBS, the wheels have never given me any problems in the 4+ years that I've been riding them. I've changed out other parts, but at this point, I think I will only end up changing to a new wheelset due to wearing out the braking surface on the stock rims (my bike uses cantilever rim brakes instead of disc brakes).

I also have plain ol' Shimano Deore (which is below the XT and LX-level) hubs on my 2011 Bike Friday New World Tourist (foldable/travel bike). The wheels on that thing are hand-built on 20" Velocity Aeroheat rims. Also never had any problems whatsoever with the wheels themselves in almost 3 years.

Last edited by fat_bike_nut; 06-15-14 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Corrected some spelling errors