Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

looking for used road tandem...

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 05:27 AM

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race, Klein Attitude Race, DRZ400e, CBR600rr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are in the Atlanta area and have a lot of experience on our offroad tandem, but looking for a solid used road tandem to support the growing habit. There are a couple of santana tandems on the local Craigslist, but they are soooo expensive given that they are 10-15 years old and still selling for close to $2k!

My question is, I have a very nice, very expensive Cannondale SuperSix road bike that very rarely gets ridden and is worth a few thousand on the used market. Is it realistic to think that someone may be interested in a trade for their road tandem? I see in a lot of ads that the tandems were bought in hopes that a couple would ride it but in reality it has just hung in the garage. Maybe that guy, or gal, would ride a nice road bike instead.....

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Hollywood; 06-15-14 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up a Burley Bossa Nova tandem with index shifters yesterday for $350. I will probably put 200 or so into it getting it into reasonable shape ad most of the rubber parts were dry-rot.

I have been looking for tandems for a while, and you need to be able to act fast when one comes up that is your size.

Mine has been listed for 4 hours when I got it.
Old 07-06-14, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race, Klein Attitude Race, DRZ400e, CBR600rr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, picked up a well used trek t1000 that needs some attention. Began breaking it down last night and making a parts list.....will post pics along the way.
Old 07-10-14, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Fandango DC-9 Mtb Tandem,Co-Motion Supremo,Trek T-1000 tandem, Specialized Allez Elite, Dolce,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are still riding our Trek T1000 that we bought new. We have updated the wheels to Spinergy wheelset and changed to selle titanico X seats! Wow it was like a new tandem. Rides smooth as butta! I often have a urge to buy a new "more expensive" tandem but everytime I ride it I wonder why because it serves our purpose and tandeming style.

We are the opposite and recently got into off road tandeming on a older 98 Cannondale mt3000. I have a real itch to buy a Fandago or Ventana.

Did you buy your offroad tandem from Alex at mtb tandems?
Old 07-11-14, 05:16 AM

Bikes: fixie, s29er single speed, 27.5 all mnt bike, road/tr bike tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moonwalker
We are still riding our Trek T1000 that we bought new.
We are the opposite and recently got into off road tandeming on a older 98 Cannondale mt3000. I have a real itch to buy a Fandago or Ventana.

Did you buy your offroad tandem from Alex at mtb tandems?
I bought a T1000 new as well and just sold it and am buying/building a new titanium road/cross tandem. I currently have a fandango Tio mnt tandem for sale. A friend and I both bought fandango mnt tandems. I bought mine first 26in wheel and he bought a 29er. Unfortunately my wife won't ride so mine is up for sale . Luckily I still get to ride with my friend. The mnt biking is a totally different experience than road..lots of fun. Let me know if you are interested

Details: $2100
Fandango Frame (large/Medium)
White Brothers Fluid T100 fork (top of the line)
Middleburn Cranks (over $600 upgrade)
White Industries hubs laced to mtx rims (bullet proof-high end)
Magura disc brakes (210mm rotors hydrolic)
X0 shifters
Thomson seatpost
rear flat bars pictured were replaced with aluminum riser bars
(have thudbuster rear seatpost I will include- do not know condition since it came on another bike I bought...seams fine)
Old 07-11-14, 07:20 PM
Cyclist- Bike 'n a half

Bikes: Custom S & S Bushnell Tandem, Eddy Merckx Ti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have an older Santana that was a road bike converted to more of a hybrid with flat bars and trigger shifters. It could go back to road with components I'm about to take off another bike we just bought and we're getting ready to convert from Shimano to Campy. Price range would be around $1000-$1200, some assembly required to get back to road configuration, location is Central FL, but we may be able to drive a ways to meet part way.
Old 07-12-14, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Cannondale Los Dos 1996 in excellent condition if you are serious about wanting a good road bike...
I do not need a bike anymore as a car wreck permanently ended all hope of riding. This bike has never been wrecked!