Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Looking for a beginner training chart for hybrid biking

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Im transitioning from jogging to cycling (stopped jogging months ago due to injury that will not affect biking), and Im looking for a chart or plan to outline a weekly/monthly routine. when I starting jogging I followed a Couch to 5 K plan, is there anything similar for biking? Rides per week, distance per ride, and ride type would be great.

Im new so I dont know what I want to set as a goal. and my fitness level isnt great, and Im 5'9"/225lbs, and just over 40. Ill be doing all of my rides on an FX 7.4.

thanks !
Old 06-16-14, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride until you are tired. Repeat. If you start a off ride and feel tired, take a rest day.
Old 06-17-14, 05:07 AM

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't overcomplicate things.

You could use an approach similar to c25k with the bike, except keeping a steady pace.
Start by riding 3 non-consecutive days per week, at 30-40 minutes per ride. Slowly ramp up your distance/time, then ramp up frequency.

It's not rocket science. If you want to ride your bike, go out and ride it. If you're exhausted and don't want to ride, stay home, don't make something fun start to suck because you're forcing yourself to ride and over analyzing everything.
Old 06-17-14, 06:50 AM
DBA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always follow the approach Greg Lemond outlined in his book.
For the first year or two...just ride. You need to develop the muscles used in cycling (they are somewhat different than those used in runnig). Just look to increase saddle time by 10% or less week over week, and take an occasional week off the bike to recuperate.
After you've developed a good base you can add some higher intensities.
If I recall, Greg suggested taking Mondays off. Then Sprints on Tuesdays, Medium length intervals on Wednesdays, long intervals on Thursday. Friday was a rest day. Saturday would be an easy spin, and Sunday would be race day.
Of course you aren't talking about racing, so Sunday could be a long steady ride at a solid pace. Again, look for 10% or less saddle time increses week over week.