Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Un-Clydesdales

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Un-Clydesdales

Old 06-25-14, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Un-Clydesdales

Clydesdales have their own sub-forum and deservedly so. And those of us who are more or less average in weight have the rest of Bike Forums for tips and advice. But what about the Un-Clydesdales among us?

I'm 5'6", 138 lbs and – not unlike the Clydesdales – often wonder if the advice on frames, tires, wheels, saddles and many other things isn't the best for someone my size. I would guess many of us are neither heavy nor average in weight.

Take frames, for example. If I'm shopping a new frame for randonneuring, should I be looking at the same tubing as the rest of us?

Just wondering, is all.
Old 06-25-14, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Having a separate forum for unclydesdales would be discriminatory and exclusive.
Old 06-25-14, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
The difference is that if the recommendations are off for you, the bike won't asplode underneath you and plummet you to your death.
Old 06-25-14, 01:47 PM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
The difference is that if the recommendations are off for you, the bike won't asplode underneath you and plummet you to your death.
Yes, but running too high a psi might see these falabellas ricocheting around like pinballs, sending them over the road barriers and plummeting to their deaths.
Old 06-25-14, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Leinster
Yes, but running too high a psi might see these falabellas ricocheting around like pinballs, sending them over the road barriers and plummeting to their deaths.
Good point I didn't think of that.
Old 06-25-14, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a former too skinny dude(6' 135lbs) who is now a clyde, I've seen it from both sides.

Skinny people should take advantage and try to keep everything as light as possible. Clydes to need to balance weight and strength.

If or when you become heavier, you need to consider stiffness. But in your current state, just be a weight weenie.
Old 06-25-14, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JamesRL
As a former too skinny dude(6' 135lbs) who is now a clyde, I've seen it from both sides.

Skinny people should take advantage and try to keep everything as light as possible. Clydes to need to balance weight and strength.

If or when you become heavier, you need to consider stiffness. But in your current state, just be a weight weenie.
How in the world did you become a clyde from a starting weight of 135lbs??
Old 06-25-14, 02:01 PM

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that's an impertinent question if I ever heard one.

When I went off to university, I was at that weight, and a competitive runner.

Over the course of the next year, I ran less and cycled more, played some soccer, did karate etc.

The next summer I worked at a place with a good gym, and I put on 25 lbs of muscle in 4 months.

I kept close to that weight for a while, concentrated on cycling, stopped running. I was in better shape cycling I think.

Add thirty years, marriage to someone who didn't cycle because of her knees, a few kids, and whamo, I'm a Clyde. I did balloon up to 260, I'm now 220, and I hope to get below 200.

But be careful about assumptions. My 20 year old son is skinnier than me, but he can't keep up on the bike.
Old 06-25-14, 02:04 PM

Now that's an impertinent question if I ever heard one.

When I went off to university, I was at that weight, and a competitive runner.

Over the course of the next year, I ran less and cycled more, played some soccer, did karate etc.

The next summer I worked at a place with a good gym, and I put on 25 lbs of muscle in 4 months.

I kept close to that weight for a while, concentrated on cycling, stopped running. I was in better shape cycling I think.

Add thirty years, marriage to someone who didn't cycle because of her knees, a few kids, and whamo, I'm a Clyde. I did balloon up to 260, I'm now 220, and I hope to get below 200.

But be careful about assumptions. My 20 year old son is skinnier than me, but he can't keep up on the bike.
My bad dude, no disrespect meant. For some reason I didn't factor in the course of 30 years. In my mind I had a much much shorter time frame, that's why I was surprised.

Carry on.
Old 06-25-14, 02:12 PM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure there are any real issues. Finding clothing can be difficult sometimes. The good news is that when stuff is on clearance, there's a good chance small is one of the only sizes left.

When it comes to equipment, there's less to worry about. I've never had to worry if wheels had a weight limit, for example. You can be much more of a weight weenie if you want.
Old 06-25-14, 02:18 PM

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was 6' 140 when i started college (age 18). I was 6' 210 last september (age 30)....

I was 6' 170 when I graduated college (age 22)...

I blame lack of exercise, laziness and kids.

I'm now 6' and 178 (age almost 31)
Old 06-25-14, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by New Yorker
Clydesdales have their own sub-forum and deservedly so. And those of us who are more or less average in weight have the rest of Bike Forums for tips and advice. But what about the Un-Clydesdales among us?

I'm 5'6", 138 lbs and – not unlike the Clydesdales – often wonder if the advice on frames, tires, wheels, saddles and many other things isn't the best for someone my size. I would guess many of us are neither heavy nor average in weight.

Take frames, for example. If I'm shopping a new frame for randonneuring, should I be looking at the same tubing as the rest of us?

Just wondering, is all.
By pro road biking standards you are clyde. Most guys your weight are like 5'11. Keep working
Old 06-25-14, 02:28 PM

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 6'1" 150lbs when I started college
I was 6'1" 160lbs when I graduated
I was 6'1" 160lbs when I turned 30,40,50

I'll be 55 soon. I'm 6'1" 161lbs today

I know...I'm lucky I have a metabolism that burns fast and I have remained very active inspite of several knee surgeries which makes running impossible and walking not always super comfortable. I do best at cycling 30-40 miles (never bothers my knees much). I wish I could put 10-20lbs of muscle on in my upper body but despite trying I cannot seem to gain weigh
Old 06-25-14, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts

My story is close... graduated high school at 140 and 5'8", best 1600 meter time of 4:36. Over the years got up to 289 pounds. College years put on 40, the rest gained over time with less activity and more eating than I needed, plus the drinking. I've worked hard to get back to 215 and dropping. Un-clydes.... yeah most of the rest of the forum fits you better than it fits clydes. So you have to work your ass off to keep up with me going downhill while I just spin..... Even in the Clydes there is so much diversity.
Old 06-25-14, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
By pro road biking standards you are clyde. Most guys your weight are like 5'11. Keep working
Good point, lol. Though I don't race or ride competitively. Just want to take advantage of my weight if I can, all else being equal. Advice to be a weight weenie makes sense, though. I mean, why not?
Old 06-25-14, 03:26 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
I think the target audience of most higher end bikes are un-clydesdales anyway so not really necessary.
Old 06-25-14, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I got to under 130 before I started biking (5' 10), the lowest since I started HS. From being sedentary, and consequently not eating much, but fast metabolism. After getting into biking, I couldn't help but gain weight which has stabilized at 150 though I wouldn't mind taking some fat off. Non-clydes have different challenges, but they really can be challenges nonetheless.
Old 06-25-14, 05:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have and enjoy whatever sub-forum you want.

Frankly, as a "Clyde", I find it amusing. In real life, I wear a "L" shirt (when it's measured that way). My pants are 34L X 34W. Both of those seem relatively "normal" to me.

But in cycling, I'm a 2XL in both jerseys and bibs -- one size short of breathing fire and attacking Tokyo. At 6'2", 200 lbs, I don't think I'd be successful, but who knows.

If us Clyde's/Godzilla's got you down, start a new forum.
Old 06-25-14, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't think it has much to do with you Clydes, if I read the original post right.

I don't care about a featherweight forum, or whatever you'd call it, and wouldn't qualify anyway ... but, I think he has a point. Having a sub-forum based on one body type, it makes sense to wish for another for one's own body type. I doubt that there's enough interest to make it worthwhile ... not my call fortunately.
Old 06-25-14, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'4" and 180 lbs. Where's the Ichabod Crane forum!!!???
Old 06-25-14, 10:19 PM
Yogi on Wheels

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Diva Dura-Ace, 2012 Fuji Finest, 1986 Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Clyde forum isn't just about physical logistics of heavy riders. It's a community support group. Most Clydes are somewhere between slightly overweight and obese due to poor habits, and are looking to cycling as a sustainable means to become healthy.

Having a fast metabolism or being short isn't a danger to your health. There is no need for a support community for something that's the result of genetics, imho.

Last edited by schiiism; 06-26-14 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-25-14, 11:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke_diver
I was 6'1" 150lbs when I started college
I was 6'1" 160lbs when I graduated
I was 6'1" 160lbs when I turned 30,40,50

I'll be 55 soon. I'm 6'1" 161lbs today

I know...I'm lucky I have a metabolism that burns fast and I have remained very active inspite of several knee surgeries which makes running impossible and walking not always super comfortable. I do best at cycling 30-40 miles (never bothers my knees much). I wish I could put 10-20lbs of muscle on in my upper body but despite trying I cannot seem to gain weigh
That sounds pretty similar to me......

I was 5'10 125lbs when I started highschool
I was 5'10 145lbs when I started college
I was 5'10 155lbs when I graduated
I was 5'10 155-160lbs from 25-29

It wasn't when I hit 30 that I was able to break my 160lbs barrier. At one point I was bulking up and was literally eating 7000+ calories a day and just lifted weights with no cardio and was able to get up to 172lbs. Now I'm back to 155lbs. It feels great to be able to go whichever direction I want. I use to hate not being able to gain weight, but now that I'm older I see it as a blessing.
Old 06-26-14, 02:40 AM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schiiism
There is no need for a support community for something that's the result of genetics, imho.
I'm sure people with DMD, Type I Diabetes, etc. would disagree with that.

Also, it's typical fat-ass thinking to overestimate the role of genetics as opposed to personal responsibility. I ride over 10,000 miles per year and eat as clean as I can (nobody's perfect). I hear all the time how lucky I am to have "fast metabolism" or some BS like that. Both of my parents are fat. I'd be fat too if I didn't ride much and ate whatever I wanted.
Old 06-26-14, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
I'm sure people with DMD, Type I Diabetes, etc. would disagree with that.

Also, it's typical fat-ass thinking to overestimate the role of genetics as opposed to personal responsibility. I ride over 10,000 miles per year and eat as clean as I can (nobody's perfect). I hear all the time how lucky I am to have "fast metabolism" or some BS like that. Both of my parents are fat. I'd be fat too if I didn't ride much and ate whatever I wanted.
A tad bit harsh there DX. Genetics and body type play a bigger part in overall weight than you think. It certainly is the determining factors in which athletic endeavours a person excels at. That's why there are GC contenders, domestiques, sprinters and track cyclists. A person can float between the different types but the body must transform in order to do it.

I'm amazed at some of the weight roller coaster rides that I see on these weight threads. I will admit that the wife and I chuckle at how light some people are in these threads. Congratulations to you people who can get it back down after a huge gain. Heck, getting off 10lbs is a struggle.

I myself:

Started high school at 5'2" 120lbs. Good run and jump athlete. Varsity basketball, baseball, and track for 4 years. Scoliosis, so no football.
Graduated high school at 5'8.25" 168lbs. 4.6 40 and a vertical jump at 40+ inches. (Dunker at 5'8)
Played DII college basketball and graduated college at around 175lbs.
Next 5-7 years basketball 7 days a week, weight lifting, etc. still around 178.
Got married at 188lbs. Had kids. Still playing, lifting, went to 215 a couple of ways. As a chubby and as a weight lifter.
Got back to 200lbs. At 45 I developed plantar fasciitis and had to leave the court. So I took up cycling. Usually average a century a month from April to October. Still 200.
The wife is a runner so I took that up as well last year. Got to 195lbs last year after an unsupported century in June. This year I have run a number of running events including a half marathon and an Olympic Duathlon at the start of this month. I turned 49 this year. Was at 200.
Signed up for the Richmond Marathon and its training team that started in May. I have been running 15-20 miles a week in addition to the other stuff. No more weight lifting. All I do is run, bike and swim. Whatever fat I had is changing into muscle. This morning I weighed 205lbs before breakfast. I have went down a waist size to a 34. In college, I wore 33s. I still have to wear size 38 cycling shorts because of my quads and upper legs. Most people think I weigh around 170lbs.

DX, do not underestimate the role genetics play in overall weight. If a person lives a healthy lifestyle they still might tip the scales at a bigger weight.

By the way, I still suck on hills and distance running. I always will. But I can still run the 40 in under 5 seconds and jump pretty high. That's what life dealt me.
Old 06-26-14, 07:09 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Extrapolate the explosion of sub-forums to its logical(?) conclusion and each one of us will have our very own. Then we can all chat with ourselves, just like Patentcad. ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.