Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First Full Build, Need Advice

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-02-14, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve been saving my pennies and doing some research and I would really like to build a really good commuter bike. I have really only done basic repairs on my bike over the last 3 years or so and this will be my first full build.

So this is what I’m thinking:

Frame/Fork/BB/Headset/Stem: State Bicycle Co
Handlebars: Nitto Flat Street Bar
Shim for Handlebars: Velo Orange
Handlebar Grips: Brooks Cambium
Brake Levers: Tektro FL750
Brakes: Tektro R539
Brake Cable Kit: Novara
Seat: Brooks Cambium
Seatpost: Kalloy Laprade
Crankset: Grand Cru Fluted Sing
Chain: KMC
Pedals: MKS
Internal Hub: SRAM i-3 freewheel
OR
Auto Internal Hub: SRAM Automatix
Rims: Alex Rims
Front Hub: Formula
Shifter: Sturmey Archer SLS30 3RT
Tires: Panaracer Pasela

If anyone would could lend some advice I have a couple questions:

- Will these parts be compatible? Are there any better options for quality/price that I should be thinking about?

- Has anyone tried the SRAM Automatix? is it better than an internal hub with a shifter?

- Is it standard to have a professional at my LBS build the wheels with the hub?

Last edited by BurritoKing; 07-03-14 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 09:15 PM

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not an expert here, but those rims are 36 holes, and the non-automatic SRAM hub is 32 holes.

That is going to be a hell of a good-looking all-silver bike. Add a silver colored rack and fenders, and you are all set! Good luck!
Old 07-02-14, 10:15 PM

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My best advice is get advice from experts! If you have a bike mechanic that you have confidence with at you LBS is best. Second would be an internet store expert that don't mind giving you some phone time or E-mail time to help you out. Third would be here at the bike forum but more so at the mechanics forum.

That is exactly what I did when I went to revamp my 1983 Cannondale to bring it more into line with the 21 century. It turn out pretty good!

Double O
Old 07-02-14, 10:46 PM

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After I had time to go thru all the links it's looking to be a nice bike silver bullet. I don't know of the 2 speed auto, bit I tried a 3 speed auto one time, don't remember who made it, it was surprisingly pleasent, but don't take my word for it, I only rode it for 5 minutes, not enough to form an opinion.

the auto hub is 32 holes, not 36 like the other. I also not familiar with the quality of the rim, and how much weight you going to put on it, but my recommendation is to call Petter White Cycle and talk to him on what you want. He is a true expert wheels smith that build the best wheels I have ever seen on bikes (as far as quality build). To me wheels make or break a bike (outside of an ill fitted bike).

Stainless steel fenders could be added later for a silver bullet look also. Like said before.

Enjoy the build! Double O
Old 07-03-14, 04:14 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BurritoKing
- Has anyone tried the SRAM Automatix? is is better than an internal hub with a shifter?
I've owned two i-3 bikes;still have one. The hub is noisier than Shimano's,but I've no complaints. Shifter cable is removed the same way as the release on a V brake. No experience with the Auto,but here's a good review. In addition to a narrower gear range,the Auto also isn't weather sealed. Something to keep in mind if you're going to ride in the rain/snow.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-04-14, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a nice looking frame and I've always been interested in those automatic hubs. Keep us posted and post some pictures as you go.
Old 07-04-14, 11:20 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Is it standard to have a professional at my LBS build the wheels with the hub?
standard?

Buying everything online and having a bike shop put it together for you can be done ,
But the politics of it is questionable.

At least bring in the hub & rim .. pay them for the spokes and assembly labor.

I suppose the aesthetics of the Round cambium grip appeals to you . With the saddle match.

I Got Ergon Grips for the way they feel , on longer rides , rather than appearance .

their Biocork composite may go well with your tan color scheme.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

Kalloy laprade is pretty Basic.[ Notch-y adjustment) there are better ,

If saving Money ..I would go with a Plain One

and have found the saddle clip Brompton makes better easier to adjust the angle of the saddle
than the head on many seatposts that include a head on them ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-04-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very late reply! I apologize for the delay, I have a spotty internet connection right now.

Just to clarify, I am going to try to get as many parts as I can from different shops around but I included links in this post so that everyone could see what I'm going for.

Thanks a ton for all of the feedback, if I end up going with the Automatix, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it works out.

Also, I'll post progress pics as soon as I get started.

Thanks again, I didn't imagine this post would have so many helpful responses!

you guys are the best!
Old 07-09-14, 12:03 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recently, Dave at Retrogression.com could get some 2 speed wheelsets that came on Leaders at a stupid cheap price. I really wasn't interested enough to pay attention and remember what they were.

You might contact him. He can get them from the Leader warehouse then tension/true them before he sends them to you.