Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Disc or V Brakes

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Disc or V Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 02:09 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Disc or V Brakes

Disc or V Brakes that's the question. I was looking at a Raleigh Misceo 3 and a Giant Escape 0. The big difference, to me at least, is the Raleigh traded a CF fork for disc brakes. OTT they're very similar in spec and price. So, are disc brakes really all that?
Old 07-08-14, 03:41 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First,can we get a sticky telling people to post links?

Second,hopefully this won't degenerate into another flame-fest. No offense,but 6k posts and you haven't read a disc vs rim thread yet?

As to discs vs rims,it depends on what conditions you're going to be riding in. If you're going to ride in snow,you want discs,the end. If you're going to ride in the rain,discs are a good idea. Not only will they work better,but you'll have longer pad and rim life. If you're going to ride in nice conditions,then it depends. Rims will be lighter,but discs require less fiddling. Disc pads last longer,don't wear the rims,and are generally easier to install. Hydros(what the Raleigh has) require pretty much no maintenance other than replacing worn pads and bleeding every couple of years.

As to those two bikes,there is more than just the brakes that are different. The Giant does have a CF fork,but the Raleigh has a steel fork and wide tires,so it will ride just fine. The Giant has nicer bits,but it's 10spd,so chains and cassettes won't last as long as the Raleigh's 9spd. The frames also have different geo;you'd really want to ride both to determine which you like better,not to mention which fits you better.

If you're going to ride in bad weather or any off-road,the Raleigh is prolly the better bet. If you're looking for a sportier,lighter bike,then you'll prolly want the Giant. The brakes shouldn't be the only factor in picking between the two.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-08-14, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
So, are disc brakes really all that?
IMO, hydraulic disc brakes are.

Easier to pull the lever, no issues with the rim being out of true or heating up, work in all weather conditions, and look cool.
Old 07-08-14, 09:21 PM
we be rollin'

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
disc brakes:
-saw a pic of someone's finger working on disc brakes (not interesting)
-1mm clearance to install wheel unless you use a screwdriver
-can seize if not used for a long period of time
-weight

and extra cost on less expensive bicycles mean derailleurs, shifters may be cheaper.
Old 07-08-14, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think all hybrids should have disk brakes, you can get way more braking force even on a non-hydraulic than rim brakes. You will wear out your rims with rim brakes while disks are an easy fix. My hands hurt after riding one of my friends road bikes, it takes a ton more pressure to get the same amount of braking force for brakes on the rim. Disk brakes are a luxury.
Old 07-08-14, 11:36 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have both rim and hydraulic disc brakes. I trust my hydro brakes much much much more on a really steep decline. Its worth it and very sharp looking.
Old 07-09-14, 12:12 AM

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have both. I prefer hydros. I tried mechanical discs and they are ok... but not much better than vs.
Old 07-09-14, 07:30 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
First,can we get a sticky telling people to post links?
Great idea, but I probably wasn't too clear on what I was asking. It was more about the trade off between a carbon fork/V-brake bike or a steel fork/disc bike.

Second,hopefully this won't degenerate into another flame-fest. No offense,but 6k posts and you haven't read a disc vs rim thread yet?
Agreed on all points.

As to discs vs rims,it depends on what conditions you're going to be riding in. If you're going to ride in snow,you want discs,the end. If you're going to ride in the rain,discs are a good idea. Not only will they work better,but you'll have longer pad and rim life. If you're going to ride in nice conditions,then it depends. Rims will be lighter,but discs require less fiddling. Disc pads last longer,don't wear the rims,and are generally easier to install. Hydros(what the Raleigh has) require pretty much no maintenance other than replacing worn pads and bleeding every couple of years.

As to those two bikes,there is more than just the brakes that are different. The Giant does have a CF fork,but the Raleigh has a steel fork and wide tires,so it will ride just fine. The Giant has nicer bits,but it's 10spd,so chains and cassettes won't last as long as the Raleigh's 9spd. The frames also have different geo;you'd really want to ride both to determine which you like better,not to mention which fits you better.

If you're going to ride in bad weather or any off-road,the Raleigh is prolly the better bet. If you're looking for a sportier,lighter bike,then you'll prolly want the Giant. The brakes shouldn't be the only factor in picking between the two.
Raleigh Misceo 3.0
Raleigh Bicycles - Misceo 3.0

Giant Escape 0
Escape 0 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Hopefully that will eliminate any confusion.
Old 07-09-14, 08:06 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
German Magura's hydraulic rim brakes are also very nice , fit on V brake bosses, but dont pivot on them .

but you are just shopping for as is ride out the door bikes.. carry on ...