Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your "Significant Other" Bicycle Pics!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 08:42 PM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Most of us who ride have a spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, or someone we spend time with and usually we try to get them to join in on riding bicycles with us. If you bought a bike for your significant other and they use it or not, post up a picture and lets see what they are!

I tried to get my wife into riding bikes with me and she said she wanted a new bike and not for me to fix up an old bike for her. I figured that a wise decision would be to get her a "Big Box" inexpensive bicycle because if she decides she does not want to ride or gives up on it, I am not out a fortune. We went to a local Kmart that was closing down and bicycles were 50% off. She really liked this Huffy Rival MTB and I bought it for her.................

She rode it twice. That's fine because it has a basket on the front and I use it to give our dog bike rides and consider it "training".................

Let's see that ride even if you have to dig it out of the basement
Old 07-08-14, 08:57 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan and I are both into cycling ... we met on the forums here, and then in person on the Paris-Brest-Paris.

Therefore, when bicycle purchase decisions are made, we make them together ... and it is often along the lines of me getting a titanium bicycle, Rowan liking it and getting a titanium bicycle too ... or both of us purchasing Thorn touring bicycle ... or Bike Fridays.

We've got something in the neighbourhood of 17 bicycles between us. Why the odd number? One is a tandem.
Old 07-09-14, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Rowan and I are both into cycling ... we met on the forums here, and then in person on the Paris-Brest-Paris...
I'm more of leg man myself. I met my wife on the Nice-Gams-Nice ride.
Old 07-09-14, 08:20 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
X-GFs got bikes built by me for them, but that was before ... the cameras used film back then ..
Old 07-09-14, 08:27 AM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I don't have any good close up shots of my wife's bike. This is the best I have. It's the one on the right.

Old 07-09-14, 08:35 AM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife is fairly new to cycling and after much searching, she ended up with a Specialized Expedition Low Entry that she loves.

Recently we picked up a vintage 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE mixte which she's been enjoying as well. These photos are as the bike came to us (in rideable condition) and we're in the process of cleaning it up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
64042.jpg (69.1 KB, 19 views)
WP_20140624_16_56_40_Pro.jpg (99.8 KB, 20 views)
WP_20140624_16_56_50_Pro.jpg (100.2 KB, 18 views)
WP_20140624_16_56_55_Pro.jpg (100.7 KB, 17 views)
WP_20140624_16_57_02_Pro.jpg (98.1 KB, 17 views)
WP_20140624_16_57_13_Pro.jpg (95.3 KB, 18 views)
WP_20140624_16_57_22_Pro.jpg (94.1 KB, 19 views)
WP_20140624_16_57_39_Pro.jpg (99.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-09-14, 03:33 PM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
The wife's rides.
Upgraded 1997 TREK 820 purchased new, has received Blackburn Mt. rear rack, Selle Royale saddle and skinnier slicks since this was taken last summer.

2007ish Giant Simple Seven, has fenders from the men's version, women's didn't come with fenders. LBS robbed them off a new men's bike for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Murray Missile; 07-09-14 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-09-14, 07:34 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
When she's not sitting behind me on the Screamer, she rides her '97 Giant Farrago.

Was able to convince her that a recumbent tandem would be fine, but not interested in a 'bent for her solo riding.
Old 07-09-14, 09:08 PM
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Here is a pic of the wife's Huffy all cleaned up and all of the removeable labels peeled off along with the wheel reflectors. I ride this bike quite often...............

Old 07-09-14, 10:22 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
When I first started dating her, I found she'd already gone on a bike tour, so naturally I went out riding with her. Our first trip together out of town was to the Great Western Bike Rally in Paso Robles.

When I bought my first Lightning recumbent, I let her try it out in a parking lot (her legs are nearly as long as mine). She said "get me one!". Lightning Cycles owner Tim Brummer was at our wedding.

We'll have our 22nd anniversary this month. We've changed bicycle brands, but not our minds about each other. We're still crazy in love.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-09-14, 10:49 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I built up this Peugeot Mixte for my wife for when she came here to visit while we were courting... for our anniversary in August I plan to have it powdercoated in sage green for her.

I found this Raleigh 20 in pretty much mint shape and then upgraded it before I shipped it to Portland... when I was there I rode this bike a great deal and have a matching one of my own.

My wife's main squeeze since 2007 has been her Breezer Uptown 8... it is a really lovely bicycle.

Old 07-10-14, 06:07 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Machak, my Marinoni Ciclo and Rowan's Fuji ... we had these when we met. This was taken on our 5th wedding anniversary, last year, just a few weeks after Machak had been recovered. My Machak was stolen in 2010 ... and recovered in 2013.

Our Touring Bicycles ... which we got together ...

Our Titaniums ... I got mine about a year or so before Rowan got his ...

Our Tandem ...

Last edited by Machka; 07-11-14 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
My bike that I started seriously riding for weight loss last year. I bought it in 2005 when teaching my oldest daughter at 5 yo to ride a bike. Rode it occasionally on the bike trail with her. It sat in the garage for years until the oldest actually could ride it. I cleaned it up the best I could with no knowledge and she rode it around the yard with her sister on the original 12 inch tire (I think) bike.

Last year after said daughter left it out in the yard buried in snow all winter, I adjusted everything the best I could and with the same rusty chain and all original worn out parts, started riding for exercise. Bought myself a Giant Escape this year and my wife has ridden with me once. My oldest daughter has gone riding with me twice down on the bike trail (wife made it about 2.5 miles before we turned around, daughter rode twice my typical 6 miles out and 6 back ride.) This is what is now their bike:

I would like to pick something up for them, but I doubt they would ride enough to justify the expense. I'm just one of the rare really poor folk on the internet. Everyone else on the net seems to have money to burn. I have doctor bills and expenses to pay for while trying to keep up with my barely worth it house payment. I ride, or try to ride, every day while they would only be once in a blue moon. Not worth trying to come up with the cash for another bike for them.
Old 07-10-14, 01:01 PM

Bikes: Numerous Schwinns, Bianchi, BMC & Wilier

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huffy.....my wife loves it !

Attached Images
Huffy.jpg (100.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-10-14, 01:31 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
My wife has a Biria EZ Boarding step through 3-speed.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-10-14, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
This is her 2007 Bianchi Volpe. She rode it with the drop bar for a while but didn't like it. So I replaced it with a Soma Sparrow bar and now she loves her bike. She rides it often, a few times a week at least.

And this is her "lock-up" bike, for when she has to leave her bike locked outside for a while. It's a mid-70s Centurion Mixte.

Old 07-10-14, 02:48 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

I like the lockup bike better.

Old 07-10-14, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doohickie
I like the lockup bike better.
She loves the lock-up bike too, but will always choose the Volpe first. The Centurion is very pretty, but it's heavy, and its 1970s components don't perform nearly as well as the Volpe's modern components. It's also geared higher, so it's harder for her to climb hills on it. I keep toying with the idea of upgrading it with modern components and aluminum 700c wheels, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of a lock-up bike. I got it off craigslist for $60 and spent another $40 on new tires, plus $20 on the basket and $5 on the bell. That's the extent of the investment so far.
Old 07-10-14, 03:25 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Brennan
She loves the lock-up bike too, but will always choose the Volpe first. The Centurion is very pretty, but it's heavy, and its 1970s components don't perform nearly as well as the Volpe's modern components. It's also geared higher, so it's harder for her to climb hills on it. I keep toying with the idea of upgrading it with modern components and aluminum 700c wheels, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of a lock-up bike. I got it off craigslist for $60 and spent another $40 on new tires, plus $20 on the basket and $5 on the bell. That's the extent of the investment so far.
I did that to my wife's Peugeot Mixte... new drive components and 700c wheels (with a dyno) as well as a custom built rear rack makes it worth as much as her Breezer.

For our anniversary (August) I am having it stripped and powdercoated since the finish could use some refreshing and she likes sage green.
Old 07-10-14, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Just bought it last week, so we don't have a picture of him on it, but it's a Trek FX 7.2.

It's his first new bike in 25 years. I figure we'll ride hybrids together until he gets the itch for a road bike. The trick for me will be to ensure he always buys bikes that are heavier and slower than mine so that I can keep up -- Yes, I've got a 8-month head start on getting back to biking but, since he's been a runner for the past 40 years, he'll (literally) catch up quickly!
Attached Images
Trek FX 7.2.jpg (87.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-10-14, 04:06 PM
You gonna eat that?

I keep toying with the idea of upgrading it with modern components
Try simply replacing the freewheel with a lower-geared, modern ramped freewheel. I have two bikes with friction shifters that have ramped freewheels and it makes almost as precise as indexed shifting. Plus you can kill two birds with one stone if you get one with lower gearing.

Old 07-10-14, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I did that to my wife's Peugeot Mixte... new drive components and 700c wheels (with a dyno) as well as a custom built rear rack makes it worth as much as her Breezer.

For our anniversary (August) I am having it stripped and powdercoated since the finish could use some refreshing and she likes sage green.
Oh yeah, I see it up there. Very nice. I'm thinking the sage green powdercoat will look amazing. I may have been nudged toward doing an upgrade after all due to a recent garbage find. I found a broken frame on top on a trash pile that still had some nice Shimano 600 Tricolor components on it. I stripped everything off the frame, and here's what I got:
Attached Images
stuff.jpg (102.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-10-14, 06:16 PM
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
All of these bikes are awesome!
Old 07-10-14, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

from the Electric bikes forum. She also has a nice little Bike Friday which weighs half as much but alas isn't half the fun.
Old 07-11-14, 12:03 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Oh yeah, I see it up there. Very nice. I'm thinking the sage green powdercoat will look amazing. I may have been nudged toward doing an upgrade after all due to a recent garbage find. I found a broken frame on top on a trash pile that still had some nice Shimano 600 Tricolor components on it. I stripped everything off the frame, and here's what I got:
Running a bike shop that specializes in vintage restoration and upgrades means I have a pretty good stock of parts and I build custom wheels and racks as well as doing frame work and modifications... my wife does not like friction shifters so her bike got a set of NOS Sachs / Huret indexed shifters (7 speed) and a matching derailleur and she loves this and can deal with the friction front derailleur which handles the new old stock triple.

The mixte has an excellent gear range which makes it a great bike for riding in our river valley and is 15 pounds lighter than the Breezer which is a cadillac.