Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much is a 2003 Orbea Mitis Euskaltel Road Bike worth?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!

I'm new to the forum so I apologize for abruptly asking a price question but it seems like somewhere people know their stuff.
2003 Orbea Euskaltel Road Bike (55cm).

Im not using this as a way to sell but so you can see pics and
ORBEA Euskaltel Road Bike 55cm | eBay

Triple butted 6000 Aluminium frame with ZEUS ZICCS Road Bike Carbon Blades Fork and seat tubes.
Brakes and front derailleur are Shimano Ultegra, and the back derailleur is Shimano Tiarga.
The chain set and crank are Shimano Ultegra SG-X 53-B
Pedals are Shimano R540 SPD-SL Road pedals

I bought this as an entry level tri-bike which worked very well with a set of tri bars on it. I bought it at a good price, and compared to some of the prices out there now, Id consider the asking price to be really fair.
Bought second hand from a bike team in Illinois in 2012 who used it as a spare bike on tours. It seemed almost unused at the time.
Having done several time trials and triathlons on this, its really light and fast with no flex. Preferable for everyday use to a show pony full carbon in my opinion.
Great condition overall. Nothing broken or wearing.

The cross bar has 3 or 4 cosmetic dents from a car trunk, not noticeable. If your serious about buying, shoot me an email and Ill peel off the plasti-dip on those to show the dents.
The bike has been plasti-dip'd in black so it wont stand out so much when parked in public.
This will come off by simply pulling at it by finger tip. 5 mins would have it completely removed.
The plastic top tips of the brake hands are rough. See pic.

Great condition overall. Nothing broken or wearing.

Replacing as its a size too small for me and bought another Orbea already.

Any ideas on a price? Ball park even?
Old 07-15-14, 11:28 AM

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't offer an opinion on price except to say it doesn't seem unreasonable but I love the Euskaltel Team [RIP] colour scheme. I would pay a premium just for that illogical reason.
Old 07-15-14, 11:56 AM
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in the Portland area as well and do some buying/selling. I think you'll do better on Craigslist with this bike (unless you want to part it out). I'd lower your C-List/cash price closer to what you'd net on ebay after fees (~87% of bid - so maybe $550), and take offers (obo) from there. Frankly, I'd consider anything above $450 a pretty strong cash offer. The dents and the covered paint will turn many potential buyers away.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 07-15-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 12:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

@holden west: the color was one of the big attractions I had to this bike too! A lot of people will point it out before the "Whats an Orbea?" question.

@dtrain: I put it up on craigslist as you suggested.
Craiglists Link to Orbea in Portland OR
Hopefully someone bites. It seems like an odd middle of the road pricing range. Most bikes on craigslist seem to be either $0-$400 or $800 to $Dreaming
I still use it as a couple of times a week, and if it doesnt sell, Id rather not spend another 6 hrs replasti-dipping it. Totally see your point though. If someone comes by for it, ill happily peel back whatever amount they want. The dents really are minuscule but any ocd folk wont appreciate them
For the use Ive gotten from it, and the price I paid for it, $500 would probably take it.
Do you know anywhere (bike store/dealer) in Portland that would buy it to sell it on themselves?

Thanks again!

Last edited by oisintarrant; 07-15-14 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 07-15-14, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar questions: Can someone please put a $$ value on a 2010 Colnago Extreme Power with full campy record, Mavic Ksyrium ES wheelset. Mint. Literally everything on the bike is either titanium or Carbon.
Old 07-15-14, 12:41 PM
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andiamo05
Similar questions: Can someone please put a $$ value on a 2010 Colnago Extreme Power with full campy record, Mavic Ksyrium ES wheelset. Mint. Literally everything on the bike is either titanium or Carbon.
That one is worth $300. My Paypal is ready and waiting.

Old 07-15-14, 12:52 PM
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oisintarrant
Thanks for the replies!

@dtrain: I put it up on craigslist as you suggested.
Craiglists Link to Orbea in Portland OR
Hopefully someone bites. It seems like an odd middle of the road pricing range. Most bikes on craigslist seem to be either $0-$400 or $800 to $Dreaming
I still use it as a couple of times a week, and if it doesnt sell, Id rather not spend another 6 hrs replasti-dipping it. Totally see your point though. If someone comes by for it, ill happily peel back whatever amount they want. The dents really are minuscule but any ocd folk wont appreciate them
For the use Ive gotten from it, and the price I paid for it, $500 would probably take it.
Do you know anywhere (bike store/dealer) in Portland that would buy it to sell it on themselves?

Thanks again!
Yes, I saw that you had it on C-list as well. I think you should lower at least that price since there are no fees to obsorb. You are priced too high for a flipper or retailer to be interested (maybe ~$325). Sellwood Cycle Repair and a few other shops would sell on consignment, but I think you'd be disappointed (you'd maybe clear ~$350). The best way to get $450-$500 is post it for $525 without mention of obo (you'll still get offers). I don't know that you'll even get interest when listed above $600.

Old 07-15-14, 01:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
Yes, I saw that you had it on C-list as well. I think you should lower at least that price since there are no fees to obsorb. You are priced too high for a flipper or retailer to be interested (maybe ~$325). Sellwood Cycle Repair and a few other shops would sell on consignment, but I think you'd be disappointed (you'd maybe clear ~$350). The best way to get $450-$500 is post it for $525 without mention of obo (you'll still get offers). I don't know that you'll even get interest when listed above $600.
Done. Thanks for the advice @dtrain.
Old 07-15-14, 01:03 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I sold my 2005 Orbea Dauphine with Ultegra for $350. It had the Euskaltel Euskadie color scheme, too. Identical frame to your Mitis.

Last edited by bbattle; 07-15-14 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 01:19 PM
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
I sold my 2005 Orbea Dauphine with Ultegra for $350. It had the Euskaltel Euskadie color scheme, too. Identical frame to your Mitis.
Ouch, newer Ultegra too. That should have gone for more.

Old 07-15-14, 01:22 PM
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andiamo05
On a more serious note, completed ebay listings are a great resource for estimating value. Some here are into quoting the bikebluebook values, but I'm less sold on that.

Old 07-15-14, 01:32 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Ouch, newer Ultegra too. That should have gone for more.
Not with the miles I had put on it.

I was more interested in making room in the shed than getting top dollar.
Old 07-15-14, 01:43 PM
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
Not with the miles I had put on it.

I was more interested in making room in the shed than getting top dollar.
Both of those statements are the way it should be. Nicely done!

Old 07-17-14, 11:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For anyone pricing this in the near future...
Bike sold yesterday to a happy new owner. $525
Unfortunately, I feel I undersold it at that. Before I could take it off ebay and craigslist, I had gotten 5 or 6 more offers
It was like selling a loved pet and walking away. Very sad.

Thanks for the help!

Now on to purchasing a new bike since the one I thought I had in the bag didnt happen.
Im looking at a bianchi via nirone 7 coast to coast, is $950 a decent offer for one in excellent condition? Anyone have experience with this bike?
Old 07-17-14, 01:00 PM
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow - that was quick. Sorry if my advice caused you to leave a few bucks at the table.

On the Bianchi, there are several C-to-C offerings (year and group) would be key to giving a value.

Old 07-17-14, 01:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - that was quick. Sorry if my advice caused you to leave a few bucks at the table.

On the Bianchi, there are several C-to-C offerings (year and group) would be key to giving a value.
Ha no worries. I got a good deal on it 2 years ago so nice to pass on the saving.

Its a 2012 Bianchi C2C. Carbon Fiber. 57cm. Shimano 105 Group. Hes asking $1175, and mentioned it was $2700 new. I had thought they were much cheaper than that new.
I love the look of it, and have rode a Bianchi around a block once and really liked it. (completely different Bianchi of course).
From reading up, it seems like these C2Cs are sized quite smaller than they are. Im hoping a 57cm will be closer to a 59cm.
Old 07-17-14, 01:43 PM
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Via Nirone 7's are alloy (w/carbon fork) and are cheaper. MSRP of $2700 and carbon fiber sounds like a full carbon Infinito. I don't think that 57cm will fit like a 59cm, though, more like a 56cm from other brands.

Old 07-18-14, 09:58 AM
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another option: Bianchi ALU Hydro Via Nirone 7