Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel upgrade help: 630 (27 x 1 1/14) Steel to Aluminum

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ive been upgrading an old 80s bicycle and Im having alot of fun working on and riding it. The thing is mostly steel, including the rims (ISO630 27x1 1/4"). Im looking to drop the extra weight and get some better braking with a thinner aluminum rim. I'm not sure what thinner size I will be able to find in aluminum that will fit my current brakes as well as frame. I was unable to find info on Sheldon Brown's website.

Does anyone have any idea what thinner rim would work for me?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 07-16-14, 08:37 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
What do you mean by "thinner"? Lighter? Narrower? Thinner sidewalls? Aluminum rims will almost always be lighter than steel rims and will certainly GREATLY improve braking. The will not necessarily be "thinner". Aluminum rims in 27" (ISO 630) are readily available.
Old 07-16-14, 09:20 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't know if thinner 27" rims are available, but I love the polished Sun CR-18s on my vintage bike, they fit with the overall look of a vintage bike.

If you want narrower rims, you can consider moving to 700c as long as your brakes can extend another 4mm or so.

You may be able to find an old set of 27 x 1 rims, but there are even fewer tires for the narrower profile than the more traditional sizes (27 x 1 1/4). If you want to trade for rims, or pay for access to the sale/purchase subforum, check in Classic & Vintage... someone may have what you want.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson