Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Weird chain line, wobbly chain and strange wear on chain ring

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 03:24 AM

Bikes: Dolan FXE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I decided to check my chain line since there was noise coming from the drive chain. The noise is only there on part of the stroke and then comes back in the same pedal position.
Here's an album of the chain line:
Chain line album
The chain line seems to be straight but the chain is wobbly.

I've also noticed strange wear on the chain ring. Here's an album of that: Chain ring albumr [2]
As you can see it is not worn the same way all around the chain ring.

Anyone knows whats up? Is the chain toast perhaps?
Old 07-17-14, 03:51 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
To my eye, that chainline is not straight, but not enough out to cause troubles.
Second, your chain seems to be as dry as anything - it needs lubricant.
Have your checked your chain for sideways flex? Even on a 1/8 chain there'll be a little but if a link or two is tight, you may not get it - this would also cause a tight spot in the chain.

Quite frankly, I this is a lubricate and live with it job.
Old 07-17-14, 03:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
To my eye, that chainline is not straight, but not enough out to cause troubles.
Second, your chain seems to be as dry as anything - it needs lubricant.
Have your checked your chain for sideways flex? Even on a 1/8 chain there'll be a little but if a link or two is tight, you may not get it - this would also cause a tight spot in the chain.

Thanks! Yeah, I just wiped the old lube off, that's when I noticed the chain ring wear. I've just lubed it up again and waiting to take the excess lube off.

Should there be sideways flex or just a little? What am I looking for?
Old 07-17-14, 04:17 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
1/8 chains are designed for straight chain lines so aren't designed to flex sideways, unlike a 10sp chain which you can tie in knots. However, a chain is made up of lots of little bits so you'll get a little sideways flex. All you're looking for is one point that's tighter than the rest of the chain though to be honest, this'll be more obvious in vertical flex ie, the sort of thing you get when rejoining a chain and the side plates are pushed tight against the roller. The cure will be the same, use your chain breaker to push the side plates slightly apart.

I'm still not convinced you've got a problem though, just something that seems like one.
Old 07-17-14, 04:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1/8 chains are designed for straight chain lines so aren't designed to flex sideways, unlike a 10sp chain which you can tie in knots. However, a chain is made up of lots of little bits so you'll get a little sideways flex. All you're looking for is one point that's tighter than the rest of the chain though to be honest, this'll be more obvious in vertical flex ie, the sort of thing you get when rejoining a chain and the side plates are pushed tight against the roller. The cure will be the same, use your chain breaker to push the side plates slightly apart.

I'm still not convinced you've got a problem though, just something that seems like one.
Okay, thanks for the info. I'm not certain that there is a problem either. But the sound when pedaling puts me off, so that's mostly the reason I'm looking for a problem.
Old 07-17-14, 05:07 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Seeing you're looking for problems (always a fun game to play on a wet and windy afternoon like it is here), check to see if there is any warping in the chainring or maybe a bent tooth, particularly the ones with funny wear patterns. Probably best to take off the chain and just spin the pedals, watching the chainring from one end.
Old 07-17-14, 12:17 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
fixed it...

...check to see if there is any warping in the chainring or maybe a bent tooth, particularly the ones with funny wear patterns. Probably best to take off the chain and just spin the pedals, measuringthe chainring separation in millimeters from a fixed reference point like the seat tube.
This will also show you where and by how much, if you have to bend it back into shape...
Old 07-17-14, 12:41 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Yep. This is all pretty normal.

Is the noise coming from the tight spot? https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#tension
Old 07-17-14, 03:24 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
That looks wonky as heck. Measure the chainline front and rear so you know if it's correct, and if not, you'll know by how much.

What is your gear ratio? It is possible that the same piece of chain hits the same place on the chainring over and over. If you have a warped ring or an overly tight spot in the chain, the sound will repeat uniformly.
Old 07-19-14, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Yep. This is all pretty normal.

Is the noise coming from the tight spot? Fixed Gear Bicycles for the Road
Hm, now when I read it seems that I tighten my chain the wrong way. I normally just pull the wheel back until the chain seems to have the correct tension

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
That looks wonky as heck. Measure the chainline front and rear so you know if it's correct, and if not, you'll know by how much.

What is your gear ratio? It is possible that the same piece of chain hits the same place on the chainring over and over. If you have a warped ring or an overly tight spot in the chain, the sound will repeat uniformly.
My gear ratio is 46/17, so no big gears here. You may be onto something, because the sound is coming on exactly the same place when turning the cranks.

Anyhow, I lubed up the chain and went for a 30 mile ride and it doesn't sound much at all. I can still see that the chain is wobbly when looking straight at it. Haven't been able to see if the chain ring is straight, but my guess is that it is. Unless it was damaged in the mail when I received the bike, since the sound have been there from the start. I'll just order a spare chain and see what happens.

Thanks guys for the help
Old 07-19-14, 12:56 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
This isn't "strange wear" on the chainring. It's perfectly normal.