Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

ICE Bracelet or Dog Tag

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

ICE Bracelet or Dog Tag

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
ICE Bracelet or Dog Tag

I know about Road ID, but what are the alternatives you have found if there is an incident or accident?
Old 07-17-14, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Endevr MyID has a line of all interactive bracelets- uses QR codes. Or you could just go to your nearest pet store and have a "real" dog tag made.
Old 07-17-14, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I just carry my wallet with me and usually my cell phone. Don't bother with Road ID.
Old 07-17-14, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
RoadID came in handy when my bicycle crash resulted in a trip to the emergency room. Never bothered with something else.
Old 07-17-14, 02:02 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I needed new pet tags and road ID after moving. So I got a dog tag style with rubber edging to replace my road ID from Dog Tags, Pet ID Tags, and Cat ID Tags from Love Your Pets

I have it on a carabiner that I have on or in my pannier, or on my seat post.

All in with shipping less than $12 for a dog tag, two cat tags and a rubber edge with first class mail. ($4.50 for dog tag and edging without shipping).

After almost 10 months the tag is in great condition, the rubber is a bit worn on the edges from rubbing on other keys.
Old 07-17-14, 03:07 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I just carry my wallet with me and usually my cell phone. Don't bother with Road ID.
just a story about that... from someone who was knocked unconcious and had to be taken to the hospital... I had my ID in my jersey pocket (copy of my license). No one ever checked my jersey, nor did they check my Camelbak (which contained my real license), Both were tossed aside (jersey cut off). My friend picked up my Camelbak, thank goodness.

Anyway I did have Road ID on my wrist - I learned the dog tag you place on shoes likely will be ignored. It saved me going to the "inner city" hospital and I was taken to the "nice" hospital because my Road ID showed verification of "good" insurance. It's not alot of money - get it in a bright color and wear it on your wrist.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-17-14, 03:10 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I have it on a carabiner that I have on or in my pannier, or on my seat post.
No one will ever think to look there and the Road ID is only $25.... less with a coupon...

Trust me, all extra stuff is tossed aside... the paramedics can care less about the bike, your bags, seat post whatever... on your wrist - they are forced to look...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-17-14, 03:32 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
No one will ever think to look there and the Road ID is only $25.... less with a coupon...

Trust me, all extra stuff is tossed aside... the paramedics can care less about the bike, your bags, seat post whatever... on your wrist - they are forced to look...
Fair enough. I realized it is likely never going to be checked for in an emergency, it serves as a peace of mind for my wife. Once we are more settled i would consider a Road ID again.

At least i do not have to worry about good or bad hospitals.

I wholly agree they are more likely to check for wrist or neck medi-alerts. And I realize everything is put aside for your health. I have no medical issues, so I do not care as long as i get treatment when i need it. But I also know if they do not know me they (police/responders/bystanders) will search my possessions to figure out who I am later.
Old 07-17-14, 03:36 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I have posted about this subject before in reference to what and where you should carry emergency medical information in the event of a serious injury. I worked for 25 years as a Paramedic for one of the busiest EMS systems in the country. I can't count the number of bicycle vs auto crashes that I have responded to in all those years. You can take what I have to say seriously or with a grain of salt - your choice.

1) If you are seriously injured and unresponsive, the primary goal of a first responder is to immobilize you and get you to a trauma center or the closest hospital ER. PERIOD! They will not spend time on scene looking for a wallet for ID and/or medical information. In most cases they will cut off your jersey and pants to check for hidden injuries and will leave them on the scene. Wallets in jersey pockets normally are left behind. Wallets in fanny packs and saddle bags are always left behind.

2) Identification of non-responsive trauma patients usually doesn't happen until the law enforcement agency investigating the crash brings that information to the hospital, if it's found. This could take from one to several hours after the crash. If you can't respond to the ER physicians and nurses, you may end up getting medication that you are allergic to or other treatment that may be detrimental because of your medical history.

3) If you are responsive but can't remember all of your medications and their dosages because the paper you have it written on is in your wallet that's in your saddle bag at the scene, similar consequences to #2 can happen with drug interactions or surgical procedures.

My suggestion is to have some form of ID on your body with contact information. It doesn't have to be a RoadID, specifically, but some kind of bracelet or dog tag style with your name and contact information, at minimal. This is what I do, but you are welcome to do whatever is more comfortable for you to do.

1) I have a RoadID on every ride I take and often wear it when I travel.

2) The information on the RoadID is my name, DOB, two emergency contact numbers (wife and daughter) and "Medical Info in iPhone." I have my iPhone on every ride because I use a cycling app so it will always be on scene and since they now know the information is in the phone, they will take the phone with them.

3) I have the inactive screen wallpaper set to an image created from the RoadID app with a line that reads, "See JVPMHx in Notes App" on one of the lines. This lets them know where the personal and medical information is located so both first responders and ER staff has access to it.

4) The information in the Notes app has all my personal information, insurance information and medical information including all of my doctors and links to their phone numbers that are stored in my contacts app.

This about sums it up. What you want to do is up to you but please think about what I posted as it could make a huge difference in the final outcome.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 07-17-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 03:44 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I have posted about this subject before
Thanks that was all very good. Certainly if you have allergies to any medications or have diabetes or something, that should be on your wrist.

I don't. I do have insurance and contact info in my cycling wallet and on my phone, and I have my ICE number written inside my helmet... seems good enough for my case.
Old 07-17-14, 04:02 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I don't. I do have insurance and contact info in my cycling wallet and on my phone, and I have my ICE number written inside my helmet... seems good enough for my case.
and not to beat a dead horse... I had my personal information on a "Helmet Dot" inside my helmet. My helmet was cracked when I fell and discarded; never looked at. A friend picked it up as it came in handy later when I made a liability claim. I get many people now store personal inforamtion on their phone... for security reasons I do not but hopefully a paramedic or fireman or police or friend will check the phone for that personal information. Not certain why everyone doesn't realize something can happen to them but just know, it can.

John V - I appreciate the advice which I take to heart since I've been there, done that and learned many valuable lessons. I travel with my Road ID - it contains my name, City/State I live in; emg. contact and my insurance information (Group Plan and Member ID). In my case I was about equal distance from a high quality hospital (I would have chosen if able) and the place everyone is taken to regardless of insurance. Thankfully the medics noticed my ID and saw the insurance information, ambulance confirmed with the good hospital and I was taken there... but regardless the information is really more for when you reach the hospital than anything else. I got there without a jersey and bra (!), no helmet, gloves or shoes... alll removed and left at the scene along with my Camelbak (almost brand new Sidi's - gloves were old but the shoes darn it were new and not there when I finally returned). My friend left the gloves and shoes but did pick up the Camelbak and helmet (he was on bike so couldn't carry much) and met me at the hospital. I am grateful I was wearing a helmet and I am grateful I had my ID.

I hope never to go through that again but hopefully am prepared as one never knows...

Old 07-17-14, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
As an EMT on an ALS ambulance crew for 12 years, my night-time job, and a ski patroller for 32 years, I can tell you the first places I looked for medical and emergency information is a chain around the neck or a bracelet.

If your wallet is obvious, not stowed in panniers,backpack or handlebar bag; it may be looked at. Unfortunately you may not have important information like: allergies, medications (warfarin), blood type, organ donor info, or emergency contacts in you wallet. I know I don't have the information in my wallet, and don't usually carry my wallet unless riding to the store or on a tour. I also wear mine at the gym, even if my wallet is in a locker.

I've only been on 8 serious bicycle accidents and 5 motorcycle accidents, and can honestly say I've never looked inside a helmet for info. When you store your info in a cell phone, you are making an assumption that the cell phone will be with you, visible, and functioning. That is not always the case. Most of the time, first responders are not going to take the time to figure out someone's phone even if they find it and it is still functioning.

I am still wearing my Road ID from this morning's ride. I don't leave home on my bike without it. We bought Road IDs as gifts for all or kids, and they actually wear them. They are pretty cheap insurance.

Last edited by Doug64; 07-17-14 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 04:19 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
In my case I was about equal distance from a high quality hospital (I would have chosen if able) and the place everyone is taken to regardless of insurance.
I'm thinking I should get one that just says "I have the good insurance".

Also, virtually every place I ride, I'm more likely to be found by another cyclist who would probably check helmet, wallet, and phone before anyone else got to the scene.
Old 07-17-14, 04:33 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
My wallet stays at home. Don't want to lose that while riding. I've been using RoadID wrist bands for 7+ years. Don't know why so many folks are opposed to it. It works for me.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-17-14, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
My RoadID is a bracelet style that I put on at all times before leaving my house...PERIOD! Shoe type can very easily be lost when the shoe is knocked off during a crash or being hit by a car.

A few weeks ago the passenger sitting next to me on my flight from El Paso asked if I had a medical issue after seeing the RoadID bracelet.
Old 07-17-14, 04:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
My wallet stays at home. Don't want to lose that while riding. I've been using RoadID wrist bands for 7+ years. Don't know why so many folks are opposed to it. It works for me.
Not opposed. Just not in the budget a year ago. We are a young family just finishing grad degrees and moving for residencies and figuring where to settle long term. We do not want to get new ones every move or every phone change.
Old 07-17-14, 06:46 PM
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Not opposed. Just not in the budget a year ago. We are a young family just finishing grad degrees and moving for residencies and figuring where to settle long term. We do not want to get new ones every move or every phone change.
When I moved, I just purchased the plate with the info on it, as my ankle bracelet was in good shape. Then for Christmas, my wife put in my stocking a new RoadID bracelet. (I know it's likely overkill, but I now frequently ride with both.)
Old 07-17-14, 08:12 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I wear a cheap dog tag on a chain around my neck 24/7. I have no significant medical issues so all I need fits on the tag: Name, address, ICE wife name and cell number.
Old 07-17-14, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I wear a cheap dog tag on a chain around my neck 24/7. I have no significant medical issues so all I need fits on the tag: Name, address, ICE wife name and cell number.
Ditto.
Old 07-17-14, 08:20 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I'm thinking I should get one that just says "I have the good insurance".

Also, virtually every place I ride, I'm more likely to be found by another cyclist who would probably check helmet, wallet, and phone before anyone else got to the scene.
This hasn't been my experience with bike crashes, even when there are other cyclist on the scene. Unless they have emergency medical experience and know exactly what to do, I doubt you will find a cyclist that is going to start manipulating your body to look for your ID to give the medical people if you are unconscious, especially in today's litigation society.

For those that have information in their helmets, I can assure you that the first thing that gets cut off of you and tossed to the side of the road is your helmet. It's done to insure quick spinal immobilization. Since my phone is on my handlebar and easily removable, it would be nothing for them to take it off the bike and to the hospital if they know it's there. I don't keep any sensitive information on my phone that I need to worry about someone seeing it.

If you are alert and oriented after a crash, these ID devices aren't really necessary because you can tell them what they need to know. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee they you'll be alert and oriented on each crash you may have in the future. At least they can pull up old records if you've been there before by having your name and DOB if you are unable to give it to them.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-17-14, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is one of those cyclical subjects that seem to come up every so often. Most of the time, as in this thread, the emphasis is on injury. But, a person is much more likely to need ID for other purposes. Most of those need a picture ID. An example is being stopped by law enforcement for any variety of reasons. A government issued picture ID gets you on your way quickly. No government ID can get you delayed until positive ID is made.

So, I carry a genuine military dog tag around my neck. It has everything but a picture on it. I usually also carry a State ID card. Not all states allow both Drivers License and ID, mine does, so I carry the ID.

Comment about how much search of belongings goes on after an accident. My experience is that is very much geographic area specific. In my area the medical folks may not do the search but the other Fire Department or Police on scene will, especially in rural areas
Old 07-17-14, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Don't know why so many folks are opposed to it. It works for me.
Not opposed to the idea, just the cost. I can get a stainless metal engraved ID with 6 lines of info and a neck chain from Road ID for $25 or something that looks, lasts, and works identically from a pet supply store for $5.
Old 07-17-14, 10:49 PM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
OK.... my intent was not to generate a discussion about the need for a Road ID-like device, I am convinced of the need for it. I have seen and been involved in accidents and understand how helmets, shoes, jerseys, wallets, and anything not stapled to the human body can be detached, lost, or ignored in the process of trying to save a life. And, I have observed how EMS personnel focus on the immediate and are not necessarily looking in your pockets or anywhere else when you are in danger of loosing your life. I want something attached to me that has ICE information, I just want an alternative to Road ID. There are some good suggestions above about those alternatives, thanks!
Old 07-18-14, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
1) I have a RoadID on every ride I take and often wear it when I travel.
I thought I was the only one to do that. Mainly as a means of not forgetting it, my wife and I will put ours on when we leave on a trip, and just keep it on the entire time.
Old 07-18-14, 07:25 AM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I was going to say "get a bar code tattooed on the nape of your neck", but a grain of rice-sized RFID implant would be so much easier to insert, remove, and reprogram if/when your information changes. Seriously. Besides, jewelry is for girls. (and it's hell to kick a dog-tag between your front teeth, if you've got bridge-work or dentures)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.