Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

disc break help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

disc break help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
disc break help

Ive jus been given a mountain bike off a friend and it looks to have disc breaks jus no callipar or leavers,jus the rotors having never worked on disc breaks all advice is welcome;
First question can you put any size rotor on a bike?
And I'm looking for best cheap mechanical callipars so I can get bike in a funtional capacity
Any help appriciated
Old 07-19-14, 11:48 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,422 Posts
It's entirely possible that you have disc brake wheels in a frame that doesn't accept disc brakes. So start by confirming that you have disc brake mounts on the frame and fork. There are two basic types, ones that look sort of like fender or rack eyes with holes for bolts that go toward the wheels, and ones that are like pods with holes that go toward the fork or frame tube.

Once you've narrowed down that you can mount disc calipers, and the basic type of mount you have, then it's a matter of winnowing down your choices. Here everybody will have a favorite, so I'll let folks chime in with recommendations.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-19-14, 11:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back. front.

That's what I have if that helps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20140719_003.jpg (97.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg
WP_20140719_002.jpg (100.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-19-14, 12:11 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Yes, the frame does accept disc brakes, and you have the most common mounting system. I try to be neutral about specific components, and anyway aren't a disc brake user, so I'm not the right guy for brand/model advice. But I'm sure with the posted photos, plenty of others will offer specific suggestions, many of them conflicting based on personal loves and hates. When your head stops spinning, figure your budget and pick one based of multiple endorsements, or because they look good.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-19-14, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
If your discs are broken, you need new disc brake rotors...
Old 07-19-14, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
If your discs are broken, you need new disc brake rotors...
My bike jus came with rotor none of the disc break set up as not bought any yet most set ups come with rotors that ive looked at, cant put rim breaks on as doesn't have mounts or pegs jus a disc set up but any help on as cheap as I can go and stuff about discs breaks much appriciated
Old 07-19-14, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Brake, not break + an attempt at a little grammar & punctuation help with questions.

For your frame, you need effectively need the complete disc brake system less the rotors.

If you remove the wheels, you should see engraved on the rotors a size, from the look of them, they are 160mm, if so, you will need IS to Post mount 160mm adapters are well as the brakes.

Depending on your location / budget, would be looking at something like Shimano M395 or M615 brakes, these are both relatively cheap but very good brakes, they come without rotors, or the adapter mentioned above which you will need to remember to purchase. These are both hydraulic brakes, would avoid mechanical brakes, as you need both the levers, calipers, adapters & cables (hydraulics come complete as lever, hose & caliper), all these individual items will probably add upto to more than the hydraulics, and there is less choice on the aftermarket, SRAM BB5/7, and a couple from Shimano, Tektro and others, but less choice then Hydraulic ones.

You may also want to look at giving the rotors a good clean, as they look pretty dirty, and contaminated rotors will impair performance of any disc brake.
Old 07-19-14, 02:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My grammar is a little lacking sorry not everyone is well taught but you got the gist,
Yeah I measured them at 160mm,British can get cables Ł2.00 with sleeve,and leavers cheap enough
N rotor and brake kit for Ł15.00 still less than hydraulic tbh but your information is helpful thank you very much
Old 07-19-14, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will any rotor fit any rims?,or are they different form factors depending on bike?
Old 07-19-14, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by knightsbliss12
Will any rotor fit any rims?,or are they different form factors depending on bike?
The necessary rotor diameter is set be the position of the disc pads. That, in turn related to the specific brake and mounting distance. Or to put it another way the rotor's brake track has to be where the brake's pucks are.

Old 07-19-14, 08:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So when I buy new brake clamps with the appropriate rotor adapter I can put any rotor as long as I have the right adapter? ,and should come with adapter when I buy them brakes and rotor as a set ?
Old 07-19-14, 09:15 PM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You might be able to find a kit with everything for less than buying up the bits and pieces.
Old 07-19-14, 11:48 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Since you have the rotors already look at the local sites for used stuff such as Craigslist. Or on Ebay for just calipers and levers.

Some folks will upgrade their calipers and levers only and use the original rotors. So you might be able to score a cheap buy on their old components. It's worth a try unless you need the stuff right away.

The very cheapest crap disc brakes are REALLY USELESS!. I've test ridden some bikes with such things and frankly they were better suited to life as doorstops or paper weights. You might be on a budget but you still want stuff that works to an acceptable level. And the very worst of the no name brand stuff is less than acceptable by any standard.

So stick with Hayes mechanical at least. Even better is Avid mechanical calipers with Avid Speedial levers.

I might be dating myself since I've really not kept up with the brake lineups for a few years.
Old 07-20-14, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Do you have any brake levers on the bike?
Old 07-20-14, 07:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No jus the rotors,mate took his hydraulic ones off for when he gets a new bike as he gave me the bike,as he was moving,wants a gear tune up but I can do that lol,and new tyres which I have
Old 07-20-14, 12:06 PM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry no experience with larger discs but I have had a Nashbar branded disc system for almost a decade and am pretty happy with it. It looks a lot like Tektro but I am not sure.