Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with cars with tinted windows?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
I have food and water.....I can outlast them.

I don't cross in front of cars that stop in the middle of the street to let me cross either.......Like I'm going to get in front of a car that stops in the middle of the street for no reason.

I had about a 3 minute standoff with the lady that gives out tickets for the street sweeper.....She was determined to get me to cross....Turned on her lights and stopped traffic....I still wouldn't go....Just lit a smoke and stared at her....
Let me see if I've got this straight... you don't accept polite invitations to cross in front of drivers because they might be luring you into their path so they can stomp the gas once you get in front of them and... and... well kill you, right? Me I'm more worried that someone else, who didn't get the memo might jump around from behind them and that might not end well. But... you're obviously more suspicious a person than I... but... did "[so I] just lit a smoke and..." does that mean that... you are worried about the near impossibility of being killed by a total stranger with murderous instincts but you smoke... <smh>

i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
noun
noun: irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
"“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism More
"that note of irony in her voice"
antonyms: sincerity
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
plural noun: ironies
"the irony is that I thought he could help me"
synonyms: paradox, incongruity, incongruousness More
"the irony of the situation"
antonyms: logic
a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
adjective: dramatic
Old 07-28-14, 01:44 PM
DeadheadDave

Bikes: 1 Trek road bike, 1 Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here it's legal to have the front side windows tinted, and some of them are so dark you can't see the driver. I never pull in front of those people; just wait for them to leave.
Old 07-28-14, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I live in L.A......people don't stop for red lights and stop signs.....You think I should cross in front of cars that stop in the middle of a four or six lane highway for no reason....OK.

Last edited by Booger1; 07-28-14 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 02:15 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Watch the FRONT Wheels on vehicles.

Eye Contact and Turn signals don't really mean much
I'm usually wearing tinted glasses during the daytime. Between those glasses, and tinted windshilds and glare and motorists' sunglasses and shadows and reflections etc. etc. ----> eye contact is a dangerous operating principle for a cyclist.

I pay attention to turn signals but don't entirely trust them. I signal my intention to turn.
Old 07-28-14, 03:23 PM
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
I'm usually wearing tinted glasses during the daytime. Between those glasses, and tinted windshilds and glare and motorists' sunglasses and shadows and reflections etc. etc.
When I was getting my PPL, my flight instructor insisted that I buy and wear polarized sunglasses, and I have never thought of getting any other type since then. They won't help too much with heavy tinted glass, but are lifesavers in every other situation.

Attached Images
Old 07-28-14, 07:13 PM
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some great points here. Seems we all are mostly defensive minded and considerate.

In the real world, we all roll through intersections. Rarely will a car stop completely unless he needs to for traffic (or a cop's watching). Same with a bike. If the car is there first I have no problem with him slowing and rolling a bit through the stop - this gets me through that much quicker. If I'm there first, I want to perform my requisite "stop" and clear the intersection as quickly as practicable - I want to get outta his way as much as I want to just get going again, and so does he; I also want to see the smiling lady in the Regal motioning me to "go-ahead" out of turn. This saves all parties' time.

The argument "tinted glass is illegal" is immaterial as the degree of tint doesn't usually get enforced and the window companies might tint as per customers' request regardless, not to mention the out-of-state drivers whose laws may be different. That we "shouldn't rely on eyes" or "watch front wheels" or "...sunglasses, etc." while all good points, one shouldn't discount this information for another. We take all of these issues into account (mostly subconsciously) in each intersection meeting which is unlike another.

Whether we have the right of way or the car does, the ability to look into the car and assess the motorist's body language (along with the car's "body language") is comforting at the least and could save a life at the most.
Old 07-28-14, 10:31 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just assume that a driver hasn't seen me unless they acknowledge me, at least at 4-way intersections. Sometimes, with particularly dark-tinted windows this can be difficult, but I can usually get an angle on the windshield and see if they're waving me across or something. Absent any visual contact with the driver I just wave them through.

Incidentally, I use this same tactic in my car. I have a very small sports car, so it's not uncommon for drivers to just look right over me, or a certain type of driver to decide that since they're bigger they get to go first, etc.
Old 07-28-14, 10:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Let me see if I've got this straight... you don't accept polite invitations to cross in front of drivers because they might be luring you into their path so they can stomp the gas once you get in front of them and... and... well kill you, right? Me I'm more worried that someone else, who didn't get the memo might jump around from behind them and that might not end well. But... you're obviously more suspicious a person than I... but... did "[so I] just lit a smoke and..." does that mean that... you are worried about the near impossibility of being killed by a total stranger with murderous instincts but you smoke... <smh>

i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
noun
noun: irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
"“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism More
"that note of irony in her voice"
antonyms: sincerity
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
plural noun: ironies
"the irony is that I thought he could help me"
synonyms: paradox, incongruity, incongruousness More
"the irony of the situation"
antonyms: logic
a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
adjective: dramatic
In my experience it isn't the person who stops that's dangerous, it's the impatient jackwagon behind her who pulls around her.
Old 07-28-14, 11:08 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
... you are worried about the near impossibility of being killed by a total stranger with murderous instincts but you smoke...
Too funny

I quit five years ago this month, after three decades of self destruction.

When I quit, it eliminated the excuses for every other, surviving, smoker to continue the habit. If I did it, anyone can.
Old 07-29-14, 06:34 PM
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones

I quit five years ago this month, after three decades of self destruction.

When I quit, it eliminated the excuses for every other, surviving, smoker to continue the habit. If I did it, anyone can.
Congratulations! I hear that it takes an average of seven attempts to quit to finally succeed - one of the hardest addictions to knock. Now, don't fall of the wagon.
Old 07-29-14, 06:48 PM
boattail71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
Some great points here. Seems we all are mostly defensive minded and considerate.

In the real world, we all roll through intersections. Rarely will a car stop completely unless he needs to for traffic (or a cop's watching). Same with a bike. If the car is there first I have no problem with him slowing and rolling a bit through the stop - this gets me through that much quicker. If I'm there first, I want to perform my requisite "stop" and clear the intersection as quickly as practicable - I want to get outta his way as much as I want to just get going again, and so does he; I also want to see the smiling lady in the Regal motioning me to "go-ahead" out of turn. This saves all parties' time.

The argument "tinted glass is illegal" is immaterial as the degree of tint doesn't usually get enforced and the window companies might tint as per customers' request regardless, not to mention the out-of-state drivers whose laws may be different. That we "shouldn't rely on eyes" or "watch front wheels" or "...sunglasses, etc." while all good points, one shouldn't discount this information for another. We take all of these issues into account (mostly subconsciously) in each intersection meeting which is unlike another.

Whether we have the right of way or the car does, the ability to look into the car and assess the motorist's body language (along with the car's "body language") is comforting at the least and could save a life at the most.
Now, if I knew of the best way to signal to the motorist that "I can't see you!" Am I naive to think that it's important to get this little message, friendly if I can, across to a driver? How do I communicate that I can't see them? I've taken my two fingers and pointed to my eyes and then pointed the same fingers to the car and then shrugged my shoulders. Do you think this gets the point across or am I just looking foolish?
Old 07-29-14, 11:01 PM
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

In the real world, we all roll through intersections.
Never once intentionally. Lines and signs are all that keep us from crashing into each other. I'd rather err on the side of caution than end up in the ER.

- Andy
Old 07-30-14, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
Never once intentionally. Lines and signs are all that keep us from crashing into each other. I'd rather err on the side of caution than end up in the ER.

- Andy
Really? Let's say you come to a near stop at a stop sign. There's no dense tree growth around, and you can see up the road several hundred feet in either direction. Nothing's coming. What do you do? Come to a full stop? If you do, it will take you longer to get thru the intersection than if you take advantage of your momentum and continue. I would argue that the cyclist that keeps moving spends less time in the intersection and is in less danger than you.

Once you know for a fact that nothing is coming you're better off continuing through the intersection. Safety is not increased by stopping. If anything you're in slightly more danger. Starting from a dead stop, you are a little less in control and more in danger of a car that comes out of nowhere very fast.
Old 07-30-14, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Operator judgment is what keeps us from crashing into each other, not lines and signs.
Old 07-30-14, 01:39 PM

I smoke,drink,eat pork,cuss,do drugs,go out with women and go to bars....That pretty much covers my current vices....

If it will make you feel better,your more than welcome to continue on....

Oh and by the way,in case you keeping score....I do have one redeeming value...I don't drink coffee!

bus·y·bod·y

/ˈbɪziˌbɒdi/ Show Spelled [biz-ee-bod-ee]
noun, plural bus·y·bod·ies. a person who pries into or meddles in the affairs of others.

[HR][/HR]Origin:
1520–30

Synonyms
snoop, pry, meddler, Nosy Parker; gossip, blabbermouth.

Last edited by Booger1; 07-30-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Booger1
Speaking of irony:

I live in L.A.....The same place you can't see 8000ft mountain 14 miles from my house on most days.....Millions of cars are spewing out billions of tons of crap...daily.....Nobody seems overly concerned about that for my health.....Probably worse for me than smoking.
Maybe. Maybe not. Smoke on top of all that crap can't be good. But hey, anybody should be able to smoke without getting a lot of grief from other adults. Just pick something worth smoking
Old 07-30-14, 02:35 PM

Who said anything about smoking Camels....
Old 08-05-14, 06:19 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Call police.
Aubrey Lee Price who faked his death in June 2012 after embezzling millions from his clients "Was eventually arrested after cops pulled him over in Georgia for driving a car with too-dark tinted windows".