Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling socks

Old 07-29-14, 08:00 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingSalmon14
I DONT EVEN... Lol, sock's for cycling...I dont...ahaha Lol, I just wear my normal socks...wash after a long ride, if its just to town and back, wear for rest of the day (Unless its hot then I take them off when not wearing shoes... Special socks for cycling...wow, Who would have thought it. Must be light waight carbon fibre weave, save's you 0.5G and incresses your speed 0.01 MPH....
It's about comfort, support, and padding in the right places. If you haven't tried sock designed for cycling, running, hiking, skiing, or whatever, you're missing out. I used to scoff until my wife gave me a few pair of wicking compression socks. One wearing and I was sold.

FWIW, I'm 50/50 on wicking vs merino wool. I have lots of both, and frequently wear the merino wool socks for every day. Comfort and support go a looooong way towards happy feet.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 07-29-14 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-29-14, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I see the benefit of bike shorts. I even see the benefit of a jersey though I can't stand tight fitting clothing so I just wear sports shirts, but socks?

I wash my socks every day. I have about 30 pair of them. I put them on, wear them at work 10 hours or so, swap from my work boots to tennis shoes, and ride after work. When I get home, I'm typically barefoot in the summer so the socks are in the clothes basket with the rest of the laundry.
Old 07-29-14, 08:10 AM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I wear baggies as liners between my foot and sock so I don't have to wash my socks. Ever.
Old 07-29-14, 08:44 AM

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They don't have to be cycling specific, but typical cotton socks are rubbish for cycling (and most things for that matter). They should be wicking fabric of some sort. I actually wear coolmax or some other similar material as everyday wear in the summer, so they can do double duty. I have some cycling specific socks- mostly gifts or prizes on charity rides. In bad weather, I have a couple of pair of shorty wool socks (they stay warm even when they are wet), and I wear wool socks everyday in the winter- warm without being sweaty, and they do wick, so less foot funk.
Old 07-29-14, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
It's about comfort, support, and padding in the right places. If you haven't tried sock designed for cycling, running, hiking, skiing, or whatever, you're missing out. I used to scoff until my wife have me a few pair of wicking compression socks. One wearing and I was sold.

FWIW, I'm 50/50 on wicking vs merino wool. I have lots of both, and frequently wear the merino wool socks for every day. Comfort and support go a looooong way towards happy feet.
+1

Cycling specific socks really do make a difference for me. It's got nothing to do with "performance" as such, but everything to do with comfort. And I'm definitely a fan of merino wool socks. I find them awesome in all weather.
Old 07-29-14, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
+1

Cycling specific socks really do make a difference for me. It's got nothing to do with "performance" as such, but everything to do with comfort. And I'm definitely a fan of merino wool socks. I find them awesome in all weather.
If my feet are hot/sweaty/hurting, I'm not as focused on winning, and I need to take more breaks on training rides. Happy feet = better performance for me.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-29-14, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After every ride they get a wash
Old 07-29-14, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one of those big industrial fans like they use in Hollywood to simulate a typhoon.

Then, after a ride, I hop straight into the shower wearing all my gear...lather up and clean myself and the clothing.

Jump out of the shower and turn on the fan, dries me and the clothes.

Save money on electricity, water, and towels. It's a win, win, win situation.
Old 07-29-14, 01:05 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear wool DeFeet and they get washed every day I ride. I have two pairs so if I don't wash my ride kit I have a clean pair.

I can get 4-6 months out of one pair, that is wearing them exclusively and then with darning them as necessary another 4-6 months. I will darn them until my wife yells at me to buy new stuff. Thankfully I do laundry and do not let her see them, one pair is a few good beer.

I will wash and hang them if I am camping. Clean socks and underwear are the most important things is what I was always taught.
Old 07-29-14, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by danmc
I bought one of those big industrial fans like they use in Hollywood to simulate a typhoon.

Then, after a ride, I hop straight into the shower wearing all my gear...lather up and clean myself and the clothing.

Jump out of the shower and turn on the fan, dries me and the clothes.

Save money on electricity, water, and towels. It's a win, win, win situation.
danmc just want to congratulate you on your frugality,,,you are exceptional and very creative, this is what is missing in our society today,conserving and getting back to basics,,,I congratulate you once more!!!!
Old 07-29-14, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by joeyduck
I wear wool DeFeet and they get washed every day I ride. I have two pairs so if I don't wash my ride kit I have a clean pair.

I can get 4-6 months out of one pair, that is wearing them exclusively and then with darning them as necessary another 4-6 months. I will darn them until my wife yells at me to buy new stuff. Thankfully I do laundry and do not let her see them, one pair is a few good beer.

I will wash and hang them if I am camping. Clean socks and underwear are the most important things is what I was always taught.
,,,,,,,,,,,you too joeyduck, seems like you're doing your part! I really didn't think that anybody even knew the meaning of the word (Darn) anymore! good job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 07-29-14, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by bbbean
If my feet are hot/sweaty/hurting, I'm not as focused on winning, and I need to take more breaks on training rides. Happy feet = better performance for me.
That makes sense - I don't do any sort of competitive cycling, but I could well imagine any discomfort would distract from competing as well as you can.
Old 07-29-14, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by joeyduck

I've got some wool DeFeet's that are almost four years old and they are still in good condition! But, I have something like 7 or 8 pairs of the things so they get plenty of rotation. And my socks get seasonal use: I use thin Wooleator's for summer and I switch the heavier Woolie Boolie's when the weather gets nasty.
Old 07-29-14, 04:18 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
I've got some wool DeFeet's that are almost four years old and they are still in good condition! But, I have something like 7 or 8 pairs of the things so they get plenty of rotation. And my socks get seasonal use: I use thin Wooleator's for summer and I switch the heavier Woolie Boolie's when the weather gets nasty.
Yeah I think the daily exclusive use is pretty hard on them. The problem spots I have are the toes, it takes a while for the bottoms to wear out.

I used to do the same seasonal sock choice. I found in the winter here the Woolie Boolies were a bit overkill when I wear my show covers.
Old 08-01-14, 02:41 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Cycling socks

All you need is one pair of socks.
Turn them inside out every day to air the other side.
Never need to wash.
I inherited my pair from my late grandfather.
Old 08-01-14, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by imi
Never need to wash.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My! that is taking frugalness to the utmost power! but if it works for you then carry on ,my goodness, have any idea how many miles ol granpa put on them???
Old 08-02-14, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by linnefaulk
My 820 is from 1990. I just resurrected it from a long absence. It is tough as nails and reliable. And wool socks are a lot different than military grade.
linnefaulk,,,, I found this trek 800 at a discount store I paid 12.85 for it was half price that day,everything worked fine except the BB it was shot replaced it for 25,00 now the bike is fine , shifts into everygear no problem, I don't know what year it is or how much it cost I do know it was used by the Baton Rouge police dept . it's got a sticker that says so,
Old 08-02-14, 06:45 PM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
linnefaulk,,,, I found this trek 800 at a discount store I paid 12.85 for it was half price that day,everything worked fine except the BB it was shot replaced it for 25,00 now the bike is fine , shifts into everygear no problem, I don't know what year it is or how much it cost I do know it was used by the Baton Rouge police dept . it's got a sticker that says so,
Wow. Lucky you.
i also had trouble with my bottom bracket. It happened while doing a 400+ mile tour. It was day 6 or 7 and ai took it the mechanic. He replaced it overnight and it only cost me parts.
I must say, I am not too kind to my bikes. But they keep working for me.
Old 08-02-14, 08:22 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
It's all about aesthetics. I ride fast when I wear these (wicking poly):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pSyyzyITGn.jpg (34.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-03-14, 04:37 PM

Bikes: 14 CAAD 10 105

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't wear socks when I bike or run. Only to work and when I come home off they go and on go the sandals or barefoot.
Old 08-06-14, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Never need to wash.
Black Socks
Sing as a two-part round, one half singing the "verse" and the other half "not yet, not yet, etc."

Black socks, they never get dirty,
The longer you wear them the stronger they get.
Sometimes I think I should wash them,
But something inside me says No, no, not yet.
Not yet, not yet, not yet...

Last edited by Camilo; 08-06-14 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-06-14, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My favorite cycling socks became my favorite socks for everything. Discovered the Descente Classic sock in the mid '80s when I started using 'cycling' shoes. These are 90% cotton with lycra. They are ribbed on top, padded at the toe/heel and have compression around the instep/metatarsal area and just cover the ankles. The absolute most comfortable sock I ever wore! Used to buy them by the dozen pairs. Can't find them anymore. Tried several very obviously attempted copies that didn't measure up. Have two unused pair left but can't make myself wear them. Guess I'll specify to be buried in them.

Used to hand wash shorts, jersey, gloves and socks after every ride they were used for and let them air dry.