Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clipless changed my life

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clipless changed my life

Old 07-28-14, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless changed my life

Some time ago, I posted a thread on cycling shoes, lamenting the lack of totally waterproof shoes out there. Several good suggestions were offered, and I'm going to get a pair of winter boots made by 45North (the Wolvhammer, with the extra knee-high gaiters).

For now, I'm enjoying my Shimano mountain biking sandals, and wondering why I didn't do this years ago. I used to have the attitude that I'm not a professional athlete, and I don't need to shave two minutes off my commute to work. But now that I've had clipless pedals for just over a month, there's no going back. I'm even starting to get into cycling as a sport, instead of just a way to get around.

These sandals are perfect for summer, and those Wolvhammer boots will do nicely in winter. I may buy the Fasterkatt, but I dunno. That's two $400 pairs of boots. Maybe I'll settle for cheap shoes and a cleat-compatible cover for the fall.

The bike shop guy was right though. Clipless pedals did change my life.
Old 07-28-14, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I know what you mean. I don't ride either fast nor far, but on platforms I just feel plain insecure. When I am on platforms for some reason, I find myself more or less constantly trying to lift the trailing pedal. It never works. By the way, you're putting a lot more money behind your opinion than I ever will.
Old 07-28-14, 06:53 PM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Years ago, I got some goretex socks. They really keep out the wind and rain. That is all I used for fall/winter riding in Michigan.
Old 07-28-14, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we're all different. I've been riding since college in the '70s, back when only really serious cyclists even used toe clips (they were "too dangerous" because you were "attached to the bike"). I've been through three or four types of clipless pedal systems, and about three years ago gave them all away and went back to clips. I've done the same 25-mile round trip commute for more than 30 years, on everything from racers to recumbents, and I wasn't any faster with any of the clipless setups than I am with clips. And if I just want to ride down to the store, I can do it on any bike in any old shoes I have on.
Old 07-29-14, 06:00 AM

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linnefaulk
Years ago, I got some goretex socks. They really keep out the wind and rain. That is all I used for fall/winter riding in Michigan.
There are lots of good waterproof socks out there, but I've always had the opinion that the boot should be doing that job.

Actually now that I've thought about it, a less heavy boot will do just fine. Southern Ontario hasn't seen a winter like this last one in twenty-five years. So I can't plan according to that.
Old 08-04-14, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Late 80's Miyata 512, 2014 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid
Some time ago, I posted a thread on cycling shoes, lamenting the lack of totally waterproof shoes out there. Several good suggestions were offered, and I'm going to get a pair of winter boots made by 45North (the Wolvhammer, with the extra knee-high gaiters).

For now, I'm enjoying my Shimano mountain biking sandals, and wondering why I didn't do this years ago. I used to have the attitude that I'm not a professional athlete, and I don't need to shave two minutes off my commute to work. But now that I've had clipless pedals for just over a month, there's no going back. I'm even starting to get into cycling as a sport, instead of just a way to get around.

These sandals are perfect for summer, and those Wolvhammer boots will do nicely in winter. I may buy the Fasterkatt, but I dunno. That's two $400 pairs of boots. Maybe I'll settle for cheap shoes and a cleat-compatible cover for the fall.

The bike shop guy was right though. Clipless pedals did change my life.
I have had my clipless pedals for a week, and your right: they changed my life! If I would have had a road bike and clipless pedals when I was a kid, I probably would have never have stopped riding.. I'm faster, stronger, more stable and much, much happier. I'll stop now before I get all weepy and emotional..