Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hopefully good news in DC

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 05:24 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Bicycle and Motor Vehicle Collision Recovery Amendment Act of 2014 | Washington Area Bicyclist Association

WABA and one of our council members are trying to push for comparative vs contributory negligence for bicycle related accidents. Hoping this goes through.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-29-14, 10:10 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Lets hope it does pass.
Old 07-30-14, 02:59 AM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I definitely hope this passes!!
Old 07-30-14, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Even better news is that an appeals court has thrown out DC's prohibition against carrying firearms, so now cyclists have some means of protecting themselves from deadly assault by motorists.
Old 07-30-14, 08:56 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
This kind of piecemeal, limited scope bill is an example of the worst in current American thinking. I have no problem with getting rid of the 1% rule and replacing it with some sort of comparative responsibility rule, as is the case in most states. But why limit the scope to bicycle/car accidents? If the 1% rule is unfair, it's unfair in all tort cases, and should be replaced outright. Or if an outright change is impossible, how changing it for all vehicular cases?

We don't need or want bicycles to become some special case protected with limited laws that apply only to them. Not only because it's poor legal thinking, but also (mainly) because it opens the door to more "protection" at the hands of our helpful maternal government.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-30-14, 05:09 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We already have laws that only apply to us. In DC,bikes can leave red lights with the leading walk signals. In other places,they have the Idaho Stop law.

The difference is that when cars are involved in an accident,unless it's something major like a head-on collision,the drivers usually aren't hurt bad. When a car and bike collide,the driver is never hurt,and the cyclist usually is,often badly. Yet even if it was the driver's fault,unless the cyclist can prove they did absolutely nothing wrong,it can hurt their ability to recover damages. Using contributory negligence for bicycles is unfair.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-30-14, 05:32 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
We already have laws that only apply to us. In DC,bikes can leave red lights with the leading walk signals. In other places,they have the Idaho Stop law.

The difference is that when cars are involved in an accident,unless it's something major like a head-on collision,the drivers usually aren't hurt bad. When a car and bike collide,the driver is never hurt,and the cyclist usually is,often badly. Yet even if it was the driver's fault,unless the cyclist can prove they did absolutely nothing wrong,it can hurt their ability to recover damages. Using contributory negligence for bicycles is unfair.
You missed my point. I agree that the 1% contributory negligence threshold is ridiculous and unfair, but that said, why not change it FOR EVERYBODY? How about pedestrians?, how about others in traffic accidents?, how about other areas of tort laws (as in most states).

Comparing aspects of the vehicle code that are specific to vehicles doesn't make sense. There are good and valid reasons for the vehicle code to look at various classes of vehicles differently, but justice is supposed to be blind, and the same rules should apply to everybody in court.

I'm with you on the issue, but think this is the wrong approach.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-31-14, 05:00 AM

Bikes: cannondales 84 ST500; 87SR500; 95 CAAD 3 Silk Road 500; 99 CAAD 3 Frameset(project)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope this does pass. I hope this can be used as leverage to eliminate contributory negligence all together.
Old 07-31-14, 05:21 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You missed my point. I agree that the 1% contributory negligence threshold is ridiculous and unfair, but that said, why not change it FOR EVERYBODY?
I agree that it should apply to everything,not just bikes. But there's been zero push to do that from anyone. So far WABA and the council member are the only ones doing anything at all. Maybe if this passes,it will be the impetus to change it for everyone.