Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advice on Tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Advice on Tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on Tire

So I recently purchased a set of Continental GP 4000s (but was sent S II actually) for my new rims. Within 100 miles, the sidewall failed on the back tire on the same roads I had commuted on for 3 months with ancient gatorskins and bontragers that I had bought used at end of life...

I was riding at about 10 mph with only me (150 lbs) load at 90 psi rear tire. Didnt run over anything, hear a pop, hiss, and pull over to find a completely flat tire. Attached is a picture. Unsure if it was cut or simply exploded... it's not located anywhere near the contact with the ground, and it's deeper from the inside out.

Anyway, I was wondering where to proceed

a) shoe goo the tire back together

b) see if continental will replace on warranty (costs shipping)

c) new tire

As for the new tire, I wont be buying anything from continental on principle, so I was wondering what other options offer a decent blend of performance and durability for a bike that is primarily commuter but also used for weekend rides. Also, preferably on the cheaper end. Really got burnt here paying $40 for a tire that lasts a week and a half.

Thanks for your advice

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140726_173235.jpg (91.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-29-14, 06:56 PM

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Looks like you ran over something sharp.
Old 07-29-14, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xinlitik
So I recently purchased a set of Continental GP 4000s (but was sent S II actually) for my new rims. Within 100 miles, the sidewall failed on the back tire on the same roads I had commuted on for 3 months with ancient gatorskins and bontragers that I had bought used at end of life...

I was riding at about 10 mph with only me (150 lbs) load at 90 psi rear tire. Didnt run over anything, hear a pop, hiss, and pull over to find a completely flat tire. Attached is a picture. Unsure if it was cut or simply exploded... it's not located anywhere near the contact with the ground, and it's deeper from the inside out.

Anyway, I was wondering where to proceed

a) shoe goo the tire back together

b) see if continental will replace on warranty (costs shipping)

c) new tire

As for the new tire, I wont be buying anything from continental on principle, so I was wondering what other options offer a decent blend of performance and durability for a bike that is primarily commuter but also used for weekend rides. Also, preferably on the cheaper end. Really got burnt here paying $40 for a tire that lasts a week and a half.

Thanks for your advice

Please elaborate on "deeper from the inside out". If you can show convincingly that the tire failed without being cut from the outside, this would suggest a warranty replacement.
Old 07-29-14, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the outside, there are two areas that look torn. From the inside, it's all one long tear, with an island in the middle that is torn on the inner layers but not from the outside
Old 07-29-14, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I doubt it's a warranty. But sometimes companies will do a replacement for goodwill reasons. Good luck. Andy.
Old 07-29-14, 09:15 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
This screams glass cut, aka not a warranty.

Years ago, when I was in retail, this kind of bad luck was not treated as a warranty. But we tried to soften the pain with a very deep discount on the replacement. Our attitude was that we didn't want to profit on someone else's misfortune.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-29-14, 10:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. What do you think about Vittoria Zaffiro II tires ($18 for wire bead) and Schwalbe Marathon GG RLX ($31 for wire bead)?

Last edited by xinlitik; 07-29-14 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-29-14, 10:17 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
I can't speak for any particular tire except to say that tires are tires and luck is luck, and never the twain shall meet. (apologies to R. Kipling)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-29-14, 10:26 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
The cut does appear to follow the threads in the fabric. I'd be interested in seeing the inside of the tire.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-30-14, 05:30 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I can't speak for any particular tire except to say that tires are tires and luck is luck, and never the twain shall meet. (apologies to R. Kipling)
I like that.

Any tire you can mention of will have users who love them and users who will loathe them. Tires that have nice, supple sidewalls will generally perform better in all ways except for sidewall cut resistance.
Old 07-30-14, 11:26 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
So just to add my anecdote, I ran Conti GP4000s tires for a season once, and I had four of them all die by sidewall cuts. I spent a lot of money on tires that season. Needless to say I tried other types of tires after that. I ride all the same roads every season, and I had never had a sidewall cut on other types of tires prior to or since that one season.

So according to my anecdotal evidence, Conti GP4000s tires have sidewalls that are easily cut. I believe they are intended to be more of a racing tire than a training or general purpose road tire, so they will have more supple sidewalls that roll easier but are more susceptible to cuts.

Don't give up on Continental tires, they make a good product, you just have to find the right tire for your application. Right now I have a Conti 4-season tire on the rear and it's holding up just fine. I think I have about 800 miles on it so far this season, and I'm looking forward to actually wearing it out by the end of the year as opposed to it suffering death by glass or gravel.

-Ken