Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame Reinforcement?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Frame Reinforcement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Reinforcement?

Hello!

I would like to know if there are exist any kind of reinforcement braces for bike frames. Something that can be detachable with screws and not by welding. I do think to a brace between the top tube and seat tube... I ask this, for a trekking bike who want's to support more weight. Thanks
Old 07-30-14, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Well there is bracing already in the form of butting and lugs...

But as to bolt on braces, none that I know of. Because, IMO, a frame designer/builder would rather build a frame that can accept the loads that are intended in the riding. I would thing that a bolt on brace would have the ability to not fully stay secure and there will be small but not subtle, WRT adding stiffness, movement in the torsional plane.

AS I wrote this I do remember of one brace in the seat area. Motor pacing bikes have had a vertical bolt on brace from under the saddle's nose to the top of the top tube. I always thought that it was to insure that the saddle doesn't move under the significantly greater vertical loads that these bikes see on the high banks. Andy.
Old 07-30-14, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Well there is bracing already in the form of butting and lugs...

Andy.
Thank you for your answer Andy. Giving an research on google about that, I have seen some people done this kind of things on their bicycle, but most I've seen on motorcycles who need load more weight than was designed. I agree with you that a brace can actually just move the tension point and not reinforcing at all.
By the same time, on a bike shop website, I observe they sell a type of trekking bike in two variants: one for over load and the other just normal. The bikes are the same, just the only difference seems to be a welded brace between top tube and fork tube.
Old 07-30-14, 04:32 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
that's interesting, do you have a link to that?

I think if your frame can't take the load you want to put on it that a trailer or an extracycle is the way to go
Old 07-31-14, 01:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
that's interesting, do you have a link to that?

I think if your frame can't take the load you want to put on it that a trailer or an extracycle is the way to go
Ok, I have to buy a car then.... and you are funny

Look to the link: Strong SL - PEGASUS

is the same as Pegasus Solero and Premio. I also have a Pegasus Milano
Old 07-31-14, 09:50 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
fabricating things that dont exist sold over the counter is usually possible , improv and mechanical aptitudes of OP unknown