Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring shoe???? With platforms and clips

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-01-14, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi spd shoes that I find very difficult to use on platform pedals with toe clips. I'm always find it difficult to insert the toe after flipping the pedal and when inserted the sole always seems too wide and rubs the crank arm. The shoe has kind of an aggressive tread. Is there a smooth sole touring shoe that does not have a wide sole on it? NEED SOME IDEAS! Thanks in advance. Pedals are normal MKS/Sylvan type pedals. Wear a size 10 (not overly big foot).

Last edited by jgscisum; 08-01-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-02-14, 05:02 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
On my foldup bike I use the quick release MKS EZY pedal with toe clips, I use some non-cycling trail running shoes on that bike that have a sole that is reasonably stiff and not too aggressive. The shoes are over a decade old, so no longer made.

My other bikes, I use SPD pedals and shoes.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 08-02-14 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-02-14, 06:35 AM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Teva Churn shoes. Been using them continuously for 3 years. Most versatile shoe ever for outdoor sports activities, including pedaling and walking. Light, durable, comfortable. I do add good insoles. The sole pattern is not overly aggressive but does grip a pedal well.
Old 08-02-14, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I've settled upon Shimano RT 82 shoes plus Crank Bros. Candy or Mallet pedals. The RT82s are similar to road shoes, but are very walkable. Blog post about my pedals: A Change in Pedal Strategy | Bike Lane Ends.
Old 08-02-14, 10:05 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I hired the services of a Shoe Repair Equipment Owning guy who let me behind the counter..
and together we made the perfect touring shoes for me.

Out of a less than great as it was pair of cycling shoes . Diadora.. were for pre SPD toeclip cyclo cross , last of an era..

Wide hour glass slot in the shoe sole , width made it stable , curves made it angle adjust.

Loose fit and supportive insole made them comfortable..
[& conventional shoe repair materials made them repairable , mid tour]

good luck with the shopping only solutions .. that seem typical answers on this site.

(Also bought a SiDi and Carnac Touring shoe while they were available , 15 years ago, another end of an era buy )

BTW Kneesavers are something to put uour pedals further from the crank arms ..
I used those, with insulated shoe covers , on my Irish and Scottish West coast tours

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-02-14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-07-14, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I hired the services of a Shoe Repair Equipment Owning guy who let me behind the counter..
and together we made the perfect touring shoes for me.

Out of a less than great as it was pair of cycling shoes . Diadora.. were for pre SPD toeclip cyclo cross , last of an era..

Wide hour glass slot in the shoe sole , width made it stable , curves made it angle adjust.

Loose fit and supportive insole made them comfortable..
[& conventional shoe repair materials made them repairable , mid tour]

good luck with the shopping only solutions .. that seem typical answers on this site.

(Also bought a SiDi and Carnac Touring shoe while they were available , 15 years ago, another end of an era buy )

BTW Kneesavers are something to put uour pedals further from the crank arms ..
I used those, with insulated shoe covers , on my Irish and Scottish West coast tours
Thanks. I have a good relationship with our only cobbler in town. May try to mod some of my shoes.
Old 08-12-14, 11:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have SPD's and Diadora shoes (aggressive soles) and never a problem getting in or out. Recently ordered a pair of D2's with not so aggressive hiking boot soles. Can't wait to get em!