Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Advice Please: Norco XFR 3 vs Rockey Mountain Whistler LO

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am just trying to get back in to riding a bike. I have pretty bad knees but want to be able to ride with my family. We will most likely do pathways and some gravel. Other than that nothing too crazy but probably a couple hours at a time. We also have a WeeHoo trailer. I don't think I will be pulling it much but would like the option to be able to.

The shops I have gone to have suggested a hybrid. I have narrowed it down to two models. The Norco XFR 3 and the Rocky Mountain Whislter LO.

They are at seperate shops so I can't ride them back to back all in one shot.

Just looking for advice towards one or the other... or I'm also open to something other than those two!

Thanks!
Jackie
Old 08-06-14, 09:58 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
It is too bad there isn't a "sticky" on the question of how to buy a bike and what to look out for in the mid-range price category where you are looking. You can read a lot of similar questions in the General Cycling Discussion. There aren't any recent reviews on either bike that show up if you Google on "review of name/model of bike". Both feature drive train parts that are one step above entry level so while they are not bad, they are not great either. Either bike should have a wide enough gear range so you can find a cadence that will not damage your knees. Overall there isn't much to differentiate one from the other.

There are two things that you might ask of the bike shops. What does the bike actually weigh in your size? Lighter always means easier pedaling. The other thing is a lockout on the front suspension. These suspensions don't really add much to riding comfort on smooth roads. IMHO they are more of a selling point. Locking the suspension increases riding efficiency. There are always losses associated with using an inexpensive suspension fork and the lockout eliminates those losses. You can still use the suspension on rough terrain where it might make some difference by releasing the lock.
Old 08-07-14, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
It is too bad there isn't a "sticky" on the question of how to buy a bike and what to look out for in the mid-range price category where you are looking. You can read a lot of similar questions in the General Cycling Discussion. There aren't any recent reviews on either bike that show up if you Google on "review of name/model of bike". Both feature drive train parts that are one step above entry level so while they are not bad, they are not great either. Either bike should have a wide enough gear range so you can find a cadence that will not damage your knees. Overall there isn't much to differentiate one from the other.

There are two things that you might ask of the bike shops. What does the bike actually weigh in your size? Lighter always means easier pedaling. The other thing is a lockout on the front suspension. These suspensions don't really add much to riding comfort on smooth roads. IMHO they are more of a selling point. Locking the suspension increases riding efficiency. There are always losses associated with using an inexpensive suspension fork and the lockout eliminates those losses. You can still use the suspension on rough terrain where it might make some difference by releasing the lock.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I did read other posts and did some searches. I was hoping that somebody had input on those two bikes. I ended up getting the Norco last night and I haven't gone for a spin yet but so far I am happy.