Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question(s)

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Newbie Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-02, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie Question(s)

Hi, I live in a relatively flat area outside the city and I'm looking to get my first bike in 20+ years. Since the area is flat, and I'm not expecting to often bicycle more than 3-5 miles, I'm thinking a cruiser or something similar is what I need. What would you guys recommend. I was a bit overwhelmed at the local Agees and Rowletts. Any particular brand or model you'd suggest? The kicker is, I want to spend UNDER $300, which kills a lot of my choices. Anyway, hope you have some ideas.:confused:
Old 06-03-02, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO you would be hard pressed to get any kind of 'bent for under $300.00, your best bet if you really want a 'bent is to watch ebay or some of the for sale boards on some of the recumbent web sites. However if you are looking for a diamond frame "wedgie", you are not as limited and should be able to find something.
Old 06-03-02, 07:51 AM
Honorable Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are only going to do 3-5 miles, just go get a garage-sale bike.
Old 06-09-02, 07:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you're posting this in the "recumbent" section so I assume you're interested in recumbents. I don't think there are ANY recumbents for under $500 unless you can find something used. (And a quick check on eBay doesn't turn up much traffic in used models.)

I, too, am a casual rider for whom a typical ride is LESS than the 3-5 miles you're talking about.

I just bought an Easyracers EZ-1SC, which costs just over $500 and is one of the cheapest recumbents going. (There's a Bike-E in the same price range). I've had a bike, but I just didn't much LIKE riding a traditional (diamond-frame). I've had this bike three or four weeks and I LOVE it.

It has taken me some relearning, as everything about it feels different and the balance/steering coordination is different than for a regular bike, but it hasn't been difficult.